Eagle EW Suite

Pages: 1
masdog5
10/03/02 09:43 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Since there is all this talk about ECM aerospace assets, I thought it would be a good idea to create an EW suite for an Aerotech. I'm not sure if it should be posted here or on the designs board, but tell me what you think of the system.

The Eagle EW suite is the newest passive sensing technology in hte Inner Sphere. Based around the 20th Century 'Wild Weasel' mission profile, it can detect, identify, and locate most electronic emissions, including active scanners like radar, communications systems, c3, and ECM/ECCM.

The Eagle works by placing sensors at various points around the chassis of any ASF. Any recieved signals are then processed by a central computer, which discards any background noise and checks any transmission data in its database for potential matches with mechs, vehicles, Aerospace, and fixed installations.

In order to save space, the system also acts as the crafts communications system.

The system is currently very fragile, however, and any damage to the Aerospace fighter it is mounted on can reduce the effectiveness of the system. Damage to the wings on any craft can give it up to a -5 penalty in detection before the system must be turned off and repaired.

When constructing a craft with the Eagle EW suite, the main unit must be placed in the center torso. It weighs 5 tons and occupies 4 crit spots. Subsidiary units must also be mounted in the wings and nose of hte craft. THese parts represent the sensors, which each weigh 1 ton and occupy one crit.

Because of its size, this unit can only be mounted on craft that weigh 60 tons and above.

CrayModerator
10/04/02 02:34 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
If that's all the Eagle EW suite does...it doesn't need to be big at all. You need 2-3 radio receivers in different, known locations and a computer to spot radio signals. In fact, I'd suspect normal battlefield sensors do this - it's no different than the threat warning systems that tell you "You're being painted by missile guidance radar from over yonder - DUCK!"

The signal/noise filtration is a software issue, though I'm sure some hardware amplifiers will help. But this system doesn't need to be big at all. It could be man-portable. It could be the normal means for spotting "hidden" units already.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1666

Contact Admins Sarna.net