How to...

Pages: 1
Vapor
02/28/03 02:46 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm thinking about playing a few CBT games at the gaming store here to see what kind of interest I can stir up. I'm just wondering if any of ya'll might have any ideas on how I should go about doing this? The owner of the store has already said I can play games there if I want to, so that's fine. I'll probably be able to get my brother to play with me (even though he isn't really a CBT fan), and maybe one or two other people. I'm just not 100% sure of what I really need to have if I do this, and what I could have, but isn't really necessary. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Nightward
02/28/03 03:46 AM

Well, if it were me...

Probably the best way to go would be to use 'Mechs that are easily recognised from the computer game- stuff like the Timber Wolf, Dire Wolf, Nova, Alas et al, so that it attracts the eye of passers-by, who are liely to be familiar with the computer game.

Since I assume this is going to be an introductory sort of game, avoid using complicated stuff like R-A/Cs, TAG, C3 etc so that the newer people can get a handle on it.

If you have access to 3-D terrain (particularly if it has hexes on) this is fantastic, because it really livens the game up. Plus, of course, it eliminates all those tiresome LOS arguments.

I'm about to say the most blindingly obvious thing now, but please excuse me- make sure you have all the Record Sheets, dice, pencils, erasers, and maybe calculators! There's nothing more annoying than not having enough sheets, or having the wrong ones. It sounds stupid, but proper preparation is the key to success.

Also, food. If there are snacks (lollies or chips, maybe some soft drinks), people are more likely to stay. If that is not human psychology, I don't know what is
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Vapor
02/28/03 06:43 AM

I knew there were some things I wouldn't think of (pencils, calculators, erasers). The owner of the store keeps some dice, for those people who are too suspicious to use someone else's dice, so that won't be a problem.

However, I am going to have some difficulty with a few of the other items. I've never used 3-D terrain before, and I don't have any, so the only thing I will have available will be mapsheets. I plan to use the simplest one's possible, in order to avoid most of the LOS discussions (maybe even draw my own maps on the back to make it even simpler). I also don't have any minis, yet. I haven't started my collection, though I am looking into it. The only thing I would have to use there would be the little cardboard cutouts that come with the box set.

As far as record sheets go, I have HMP, so I can print them out easily. However, I don't have a laptop or printer that I could take to the store and use there, and I haven't asked the owner of the store yet if he has a computer and printer that I could use for that purpose. I was planning to print out several copies of the record sheets for each of the cardboard cutout 'Mechs for the first time around. If there is any interest, and more people want to play. I could print out a wider variety of record sheets for the next time, as long as the players are willing to use their imaginations (ie. cutout X represents 'Mech Y). I guess it all depends on how much interest there is.

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Karagin
02/28/03 08:56 AM

IF you have the book Frist Strike then I would say go with a scenario from that one...if not then stick to a lance on lance setup and keep the rules simple or right at level 1...

Talk about the game a lot while you are playing it and keep everyone happy as best you can...even if their Shadow Hawk just went nova tell them they can still win etc...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Vapor
02/28/03 09:06 AM

I wasn't thinking about doing a scenario, though that might not be a bad idea. I do have a scenario book, but can't recall off the top of my head which one it is. I'll have to take a look at it when I get home.

I had already planned on keeping it simple to start with. No heat, unlimited ammo, stuff like that so new players can get the hang of simple maneuvering and shooting before they have to worry about the more complex stuff. Of course, if they want to jump right in the deep end, I'll be able to oblige them there, too.

Nightward
02/28/03 04:37 PM

Heh. Yep, that's how I learned to play as well.

My, my, was I in for a rude shock the first time we used the rules for heat. My poor, poor little Nova...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Vapor
02/28/03 09:40 PM

hehe that would be a rather rude awakening. However, I intend to explain how heat works, etc. We just won't use it in the first game or two. That way they know a little bit about the idea, but they don't have to worry about it their first game.

Nightward
03/01/03 07:29 PM

Heh. Yep. Follow the KISS principle (I don't know if this is a common saying in America. It's not a reference to the band. It stands for Keep It Simple, Stupid). Just so long as everyone playing understands what they are doing.
Vapor
03/02/03 10:59 AM

I do my best to adhere to the KISS principle, though mostly for my own sake, rather than anyone elses.

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4202

Contact Admins Sarna.net