Dark Age?

Pages: 1
mechobo74
09/16/03 09:51 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
As I said in my first post here, I don't actually play battletech, I just play the PC games and read the novels. I got a Dark Age novel and it is confusing the heck out of me. What is the Republic of the Sphere? Why and when was it formed? Are the Steel Wolves part of Clan Wolf? Anything you could tell me would be appreciated.
DarkStar
09/17/03 01:14 AM

I answered this in another post but I'll repost it here.

Mech Warrior Dark Age takes place roughly 70 years after the end of the Lyrian Davion civil war. The major event during this 70 year break was the Word of Blake Jihad against much of the innersphere and occured mostly in and on the central worlds of the innersphere. During the Jihad a man arose from a Word of Blake reeducation camp that lead a crusade (if you will) against Word of Blake. That man was Devlin Stone. Leading the warriors from the reeducation camp he began to build a force that took back worlds oppressed by Word of Blake and collecting more warriors and followers as he went. In the end he had a sizable army and the majority of the civilians on the central worlds supported him. He took those worlds and built a new power in the innersphere called the Republic of the Innersphere. The Successor Houses (according to the fiction) seceded him these words with out a fight, in most cases, bcause the jihad had sapped their resources and they did not want to spend the time, effort and funds necessary to rebuild the central worlds, where most of the fighting had taken place. A notable exception to this was House Laio. Anyway after the Republic was formed, Devlin Stone spent a great deal of effort in relocating huge amounts of people to break up the predominant cultures on many planets so that they would not become fuel for more wars. He mixed and mingled the various cultures trying to create a more homogenous population. During this time he also called for the turning in of privately owned mechs, aerospace fighters etc. with promises of government loans for new businesses or positions of power with in the new government. The Republic military appearantly also went through a period of draw down until mechs became a very rare thing. Meanwhile the House Lords seeing the economic and political advantages of this did so as well, though to a lessor extent. War production factories of every kind were retooled for consumer goods. Peace and Prosperity reigned or so they have said. In 3130 Devlin Stone then stepped down from the leadership of the Republic promising to return if he was needed. (Very Aurthurian of him). Then at the begining of the new era, 3132, while everyone is humming along all fat and happy some malcontent group (to be named later) wiped out 80 percent of the HPG network in the innersphere as a whole in a matter of days. This caused the economies of many worlds to crash and heightened tensions across all the old and new boundaries creating many new but much smaller wars to pop out all over. Without effective communication house armies can not respond in a timely fashion to border or internal incursions and many of the much smaller players are taking advantage of the situation trying to carve out there own small empires out of the larger ones. In the current situation a single battle mech may be at the head of an amor company with supporting infantry. Industrial mechs are common place and are refitted with weapons as a poor mans mech. The Wolf clan in the innersphere is a poor shadow of it's former self. The Steel Wolves are infact the Wolf Clan in the innersphere. Clan Wolf in exhile. They have suffered under 70 years of innersphere influence and appearantly the force drawdown effected them as well. The mechs of Clan Wolf were clan propety and could not be turned in by individuals for loans for business or government postions. Perhaps with out the need for a large military the mechs were stored or fell into disrepair because of a lack of funds to pay for the parts or perhaps the majority were destoyed during the Word of Blake Jihad. The fiction does not really address this point. It also appears that the worlds the Wolves garrisoned in the Arc Royal Defense Cordan were returned to the control of the Lyrian Commonwealth. That is when they were invited into the Republic. The Republic also has strict controls on the importation of mechs and mech parts and the manufacture of mechs. This may have also contributed to the poor state of the Steel Wolves. The fiction at best is incomplete. Hope this helps!

StCol Greogr Levi
131st Assault Cluster
Clan Smoke Jaguar

"The are full of guile and treachery but they are no match for us as warriors. They have no honor and are not capable of understanding the concept. Khan Rousso Howell was right to suspend the Rules of Engagement when dealing with these surats!"

Mech Warrior Tong on returning from a raid on Coventry

StCol Gregor Levi
131st Assault Trinary
Clan Smoke Jaguar
Warner_Doles
09/17/03 07:40 AM

For the full story on MechWarrior Darkage I recommend that you go to MechWarrior Darkage's INN Interstellar News Network. Here you can read everything from the beginning. You'll read all about each realm and clan that is in the Inner Sphere including about the Realm of the Sphere. Give it a look see, I recommend it.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 184 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3407

Contact Admins Sarna.net