Battletech Books

Pages: 1
Armchairhero
08/13/03 06:54 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have been following the battletech universe for almost 10 years, which in itself is hard to believe, but in recent times, I have been purchasing the books, which are becoming more infrequent and not following what is happening. For those of you who know, please enlighten me. What is happening with Battletech now? Is "endgame" by Loren L Coleman really the last ever book? Has anyone else bought the rights to them? Please let me know. Cheers.
Nightward
08/13/03 07:52 PM

I believe they may have written some "MechWarrior" series novels set aftyer the end of the Federated Commonwealth Civil War, though I am not too sure about that.

They have kicked off a new series of MechWarrior: Dark Age novels. I believe the first one is "Ghost War" or some such, by Michael Stackpole.

I think Classic BattleTech may write some more novels in the far-off, dim and distant future, though I do not think there are any concrete plans on that. They appear to be more concerned with producing core materials and rules suppliments right now.

You can check www.classicbattletech.com for more news or go to the Whiz Kidz webpage for more info about MW:DA.

Hope that helps; welcome to the forums.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Armchairhero
08/16/03 06:23 AM

Cheers for the reply. I am disappointed that they are taking such a break from the mainstream Battletech universe. I enjoyed the books which revolved around the FEDCOM, and of course Victor Steiner-Davion. With such am exapnsive universe, I am unsure why they have taken this break, as there limitless storylines whih they could have pursued. Even still, I'll be at the front of the queue to get the next Battletech books. Cheers.
Gangrene
08/18/03 10:51 PM

From what I understand novels for Battletech have ceased to be published on paper. However, it appears that fiction is still being electronically published at www.battlecorps.com.
Gangrene
Nightward
08/28/03 09:54 PM

No worries.

I suspect that CBT has someting in its contract that stipulates they have to stay in line with the MW: DA metaplot. I think they are waiting to see what they are allowed to do.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
firefly2442
11/11/03 09:11 PM

Where do you guys get the books? Amazon.com? Are they hard to find? Thanks.
Nightward
11/12/03 02:21 AM

www.classicbbattletech.com

and

www.battletechuniverse.org

both have on-line stores. If you live in Australia like I do, www.milsims.com.au is a good place to go; they often throw things out on crazy specials and close out sales. E-bay and Amazon mainly offer the novels.

Your local game store, if they're worth shopping in at all, should be willing to order in the BattleTech books; your local bookstore should also be good enough to order in the novels for you as well, though hunting through second-hand bookstoers yeilds surprising results (I found the Warrior trilogy on specal for $2!)

Happy hunting. Welcome to the forums.
Silenced_Sonix
11/15/03 02:12 PM

And for those of us in South Africa? I had to order the rulebook in from the US, and I still haven't recieved it! Even worse, I can't find a single copy of the boardgame itself over here!
Evolve or Die
Nightward
11/15/03 05:02 PM

I dunno. I live in Australia. Our first copies of the Warrior Trilogy arrived last week

I believe MilSims will send stuff overseas via sea mail, and as far as I know, CBT's store delivers world-wide. I dunno what your exchange rate for the...Rand, isn't it, in SA? is like, but you might be able to get a slightly better deal if you check around as well. Honesly, your local gaming store should be happy enough to order in a copy for you. If they aren't, they're not doing their job real well.

Any way, welcome to the board, and BT in general. Hope your books turn up soon.
tgsofgc
11/16/03 12:28 AM

This may be silly, be sure to let me know. It might be harder to get in SA because they didn't have the forethought to set up distribution to there and it isn't a usual place for orders from so its taking them awhile to get around to shipping it. I mean as far as I have been told Australia is at least the third biggest market for American boardgames, not sure if its past those board game happy Germans or not (no offense to anyone) heh. Again be sure to yell at me if and when I'm wrong.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Silenced_Sonix
11/16/03 10:26 AM

Well, a buddy of mine is going to the US come the end of this month, so I could tell him to get me a copy of the board game... That is, if it is still available? I'd like a copy of CBT, not his new MW:DA stuff. Any idea on what a set like that'll cost approxiamately?
Evolve or Die
tgsofgc
11/16/03 02:34 PM

Well my old Master Rules had a marked price of 20$ so I'd assume if you just want the newer Master Rules Revised it'd be less than 30$ (US currency of course).
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/16/03 11:40 PM

BMR and the boxed set are all you really need to play. Though some of the map sets, a copy of Heavy Metal Pro, and the appropriate Field Manuals are always good follow-up buys.
tgsofgc
11/17/03 12:11 AM

Personally I'd buy Maxtech before spending cash on Heavy Metal, its a great program but you can always use something free like drawing board.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Silenced_Sonix
11/20/03 01:48 PM

Yeah, I'm currently running Drawing Board 2.0.23, and it's real dandy. About $30 for the $th edition boxed set, right? Hmm, will have to give him some funds beforehand then...

Anything else that might be essential to play? I have the Maximum Tech codex (in pdf, on my PC) and some random other files, but I still haven't got a clue how some basic things work, like when to do Piloting Skill rolls, or what happens when a critical slot containing EndoSteel or some special piece of armor is hit. Anybody wanna help me out on those: the internal structure and armor hit events?
Evolve or Die
tgsofgc
11/20/03 01:57 PM

Like Night suggested some mapsheet sets would help if you can afford them.
Piloting skill rolls generally affect a mech's ability to remain standing. They are explained int he base game rules (that you will have soon ) but to sum up the most common one is when you take 20+ damage. A few types of criticals only make you reroll a different critical when they are hit, meaning they fill the mechs space but don't absorb crits (endo and most armors are among this group).
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/21/03 04:55 PM

Yep. All will become clear when you get the rules.

The BMR (Revised) has Level 2 Rules (slightly more complicated rules and equipment options) in it, which is where they Endo Steel and Ferro-Fibrous will come in.

If you're learning to play alone, I'd really reccommend you stay with Level 1 Rules until you've got the hang of those. They're complicated enough and cause enough arguments on their own. If there's another BT player around, just con them into teaching you the game

Some maps are included in the boxed sets. But if you potocopy the blank sides onto like, A3 paper and draw your own terrain onto that, you can save a fortune.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10745

Contact Admins Sarna.net