Linking Weapons

Pages: 1
MadMage
11/23/03 06:19 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Our group plays with the rule that weapons can be linked but is it fair that you can link 20 Heavy Machine Guns (firing at Double RoF) ? That's 120 damage in one shot.....should that be allowed or should there be a limit on how many can be linked.
Hope I posted this in the correct forum...if not I apologise
tgsofgc
11/23/03 06:56 AM

First of all... smack whomever is playing a mech with 20 heavy mgs and is trying to link them.
Second, linking rules are very cool cause they speed the game up and generally due little to affect probability (other than playing up the luck factor), therefore I think it might be alright but....
on the other hand it would almost always be beneficial to link weapons into large damage chunks so that you don't cause waste heat or eat precious ammo with piddle shots instead waiting for the big bang that'll force some mega piloting skill roll. Considering that I would suggest this:
Can link up to 20 damage or 4 weapons (which ever is more weapons) in one tic with no penalties.
After that limit is reached you can continue linking to the same tic with one of the following penalties:
install a specialized targetting gear for the tic that is 1 crit and 10% of the tic weapons' total weight for each 20 (or 4) beyond the limit. Critical hits to this gear automatically inact the alternative:
The alternative is to add a +1 to hit for each 20 damage or 4 weapons beyond the first limit.

Example:
I want to mount 30 machine guns in one tic (60 damage, 15 tons)
I can either allocate 2 criticals and 3 tons (1, 1.5) for equipment
or suffer a +2 to hit.

Note this doesn't fully correct the problem but at least it helps a little right? Either that or you could tell em to stop being a munchkin...
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
11/23/03 06:58 AM

oh ps. If you think that thing is bad you should puruse the Design forum and find the Munchkinmobile by Night, mounting copious number of RL/10s.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/23/03 07:55 PM

Those rules are correct according to p. 23 of Maximum Tech. I would note, however, that it is a Level 3 rule and as such must be agreed upon by all p[layers prior to the start of play. It sounds like your friends are taking advantage of the rule, but then again, with a range of just 2 hexes on those HMGs, odds are it shouldn't make too much of a difference

Oh, and BTW. Check out p. 88 of Maximum Tech. Machine Guns don't have an "Ultra" mode, they have "Rapid Fire". Rapid Fire mode causes 1D6 damage per machine gun used. The same result also indicates the amount of heat created and ammunition used. Rapid Fire can't be used on Light or Heavy machine guns. So if it's a House RUle, that's OK, but otherwise...

It sounds like you're being taken advantage of. Then again, if everyone else is having fun, go with the flow. It is, after all, only a game.

Welcome to the board.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
wartang
11/29/03 12:58 AM

i dont see a problems with that if your dum enoughf to get that close you should be slaped

soorry dont mean to flame but...
i love this game
Ghost
12/22/03 12:24 AM

Hey I know I am gonna probably be told to leave this thread alone since it is a month old, but I have a suggestion for you. I would follow what the others have tossed in but also add in a targeting computer roll for this. For instants, if you the fail the roll, the targeting computer has been damaged and you suffer a permanent +2 or something like that to all other attack rolls. I sat in on a game where this was done and it made it VERY interesting.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6432

Contact Admins Sarna.net