MWDA: Giving "ClickyTech" some gutzpah!

Pages: 1
Silenced_Sonix
01/13/04 02:31 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Since the general consensus seems to be that MWDA is rubbish in comparison to CBT, and since the storyline seems to have been halted after the last book of the "Proving Grounds" trilogy, I had an idea: what if we, the forumers here at sarna.net, continued the story on our own?

Having read all six of the MWDA books, and only two of the CBT books - both by Blaine Lee Pardoe - I can agree that MWDA does not have the same depth and suspense as CBT. The "bad" guys all pilot either a Jupiter or a Tundra Wolf, while the Republic people plod around in Hatchmans or some other obscure little mechlet. This brings me to one of my prime dislikes with MWDA - it is as if the authors have never played BattleTech before, and seem to know nothing about how frantic combat often is. Granted, it is the Republic, and military forces have been scaled back significantly, but the fights all seem watered down, and quite predictable. Point two is the way the renegade Clans in the Republic spend more time at their own throats than actually fighting the enemy. And when they eventually get together to kick Republic ass, Kerensky has to withdraw due to injuries sustained during an earlier Trial of Grievance. No offense to anyone here who enjoyed that "twist", but to me it appears like something you throw in for some snot-nosed kid who has an attention-span of about two seconds, so that you can do the same thing over and over again - Trial, injury, retreat during last stages of combat - and still expect to get a cheer out of it every time. For me, it was already lame the first time.

So here is what I propose: We all come together and brainstorm for a while, and then a selected one or two forumers - obviously those with the best skills for writing a BattleTech novel - sit down and write the rest of the saga together. If anything needs clearing up, they could just ask the other forumers, who would give suggestions on what they want to see and hear in Dark Age. Granted, it will not be easy, but if we can pull it off, the reward will be great - even if it is just to say that you were one of the people that helped to turn Dark Age into a proper part of the BattleTech universe! I already have some ideas and thoughts on the matter, and will gladly share them if anyone cares to help.

People, we can do this!
Long live BattleTech!
Evolve or Die
Hellbringer
01/14/04 06:39 PM

First of all, I think we need to decide who is responsible for the Hyperpulse net dying. I vote Jacob Banneson. He wants to elevate himself to the level of one of the old Houses and had the money to screw everything up then gather power in the ensuing chaos. Also, is Devlin Stone dead? Could he really come back and rescue the Republic?
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
neven
01/14/04 08:48 PM

good thinking, howz about you listen to my MY post, it haz way more info, but yorz iz still good
-***"ADAPT TO SURVIVE"***-
Ghost
01/15/04 07:26 PM

I'm in. Simple as that. I like to write and tinker with timelines anyway. Let me know what you need/want and consider it done.
Silenced_Sonix
01/17/04 05:25 AM

The whole "Who killed The HPG?" question does not need to be adressed immediately. Our first objective should be to add some depth to the storyline. Compared to the old CBT universe and politics, Bannson is the only person in MWDA who seems to have a hidden agenda of his own. Hell, he seems about the only person who actually has an agenda! One of the things that made the CBT politics so intensely dark and convoluted was the way everybody was trying to stab everybody else in the ass, yet seem to be their best ally simultaneously. A perfect example is the way Katrina Steiner took over after Victor left to fight the Clans. Granted, the universe back then was not as chaotic as the Republic is in MWDA, but after approxiametly a year of strife, some order, or at least an appearance of purpose to the anarchy should be realized. It never happens. The Wolfs keep butting heads over going to Terra, the Swordsworn sit around on Tikonov doing nothing but worship House Davion, and the Highlanders are just always around to make sure no-one gets hurt.

For the first part of the rewrite, I would suggest stepping away from the "One Book, One Fight" approach and instead concentrate on getting, and allowing the readers to get, inside the heads of the important people in MWDA. Sure, reading about Farrell and his mercenaries does provide some fair reading, but would it not be even better if we go get behind the scenes, get into his and Bannson's head, see exactly how they work and think and operate together? Since Bannson ends book 6 of MWDA in Tara Campbell's relatively "Good Books", the first hints of an alliance (also suggested by Bannson in book 6) could now start to appear. How would they operate together? We know that Bannson expressed concerns regarding the Countess, and how having her as an enemy would seriously hinder any chances he has of expanding into Prefecture III. How would they work together, think together, plan together? Kerensky would be sidelined temporarily due to her injuries from the assault on Terra, so the next target (even if it is not in a military sense) could be either the Swordsworn or Katana Tormack's faction. Since the Highlanders have already clashed with Tormack's supporters, a co-ordinated effort by both Bannson and Campbell could be discussed, with both sides going over the prospect and trying to see what they could each get out of the deal.

Another angle that could be discussed, is Bannson's lack of militaristic support. Well known is the fact that part of his frustration comes from the fact that he has no military ties in the Republic, and thus has no way of securing new and up-to-date equipment for his mercenaries. A possibilty that came to mind here would be of him doing trade, or even going into a partnership with the Sea Fox merchants that roam the Republic and what seems to be most of the Sphere. For military support, they would be perfect - their access to advanced Clan technology, coupled with the fact that they will sell or trade to anyone who has the money or goods, could be the perfect place for Bannson to start his climb to becoming not just a potent economic, but military power too.

Okay, enough from me: anybody else have something to say?
Evolve or Die
CrayModerator
01/19/04 08:53 AM

Quote:

This brings me to one of my prime dislikes with MWDA - it is as if the authors have never played BattleTech before, and seem to know nothing about how frantic combat often is.

As I understand, most of the MWDA authors HAVEN'T played (or written for) BT before. The result was what might be called some "eye bleeders."

Quote:

Point two is the way the renegade Clans in the Republic spend more time at their own throats than actually fighting the enemy.

As I understand, they are not so much "renegade Clans," as "Clan ethnic groups that settled in the Republic," and now are trying to revive their old culture. Like many cultural revivalist groups (especially those with an agressive bent), they have trouble actually organizing anything.
Quote:

We all come together and brainstorm for a while, and then a selected one or two forumers - obviously those with the best skills for writing a BattleTech novel - sit down and write the rest of the saga together.

I'd just be inclined to type out a timeline, and given my dislike of RotS and preference for large military units, I'd be prone to write something like:

1) HPGs shut down in RotS
2) RotS factions begin fighting
3) All the Houses move in to (variously) "stabilize the chaotic political situation," "provide humanitarian relief," "liberate oppressed House-ethnic groups," and/or "conquer the honorless Republican scum."
4) RotS is reduced to a quivering, sobbing little rump state around Terra
5) Terran nationalists tell the RotS loosers to blow off, and announce the formation of the Terran Federation (well, we've already used "Terran Alliance" and "Terran Hegemony"), independent of RotS, and carve out a pocket state near Terra.
6) A Second Age of War ensues, with a warfare tempo on par with the Third Succession War. Every faction has plenty of opportunity for fighting.

But I wouldn't write a novel out of it.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Ghost
01/20/04 12:35 AM

Hmmm...I see alot of Industrial 'Mechs running loose and then someone finding a hidden cache of Pre-Rebuplic units....that would be interesting.

Course, that goes back to the whole Lostech bit with the Star League.
Silenced_Sonix
01/23/04 04:48 PM

Well, for the LosTech part, you have two options:

1) The Capellan Confederation
Since these folks never really followed Stone's principals all too closely, and actaully invade the Republic, it would be interesting to see some faction within the Confederation itself perhaps starting to sell military grade 'Mechs to the Republic. This could be purely for money, or from some smaller, oppressed faction that believed in Stone's ideas, and are now trying to help the Republic forces fight back by selling them 'Mechs. Since all the factions that popped up after the HPG strike say they are fighting for the Republic, it would explain why the CapCons would sell their stuff to any faction (including perhaps Bannson, who is eternally hunting for military equipment?)

2) Clan Sea Fox:
Being merchants and all, they would not mind selling high tech Clan equipment to any of the warring factions... and someone like Bannson, who has the money, and the savvy of the business world, would make the perfect buyer. Perhaps he could even make an attempt at try to take over some of the Sea Fox ArcShips and CargoShips through business deals and partnerships?

I do not know what you folks think, but that is what has been coming to mind lately.

On another note on "Who Killed The HPG Net?": the descriptions of the attacks on the HPG stations in Stackpole's Ghost War describe well-equipped units and spacecraft - after reading official MWDA documentation, the only faction that had(has) the resources to do that, is... Clan Sea Fox. Perhaps in cutting off the HPG net, they thought to lower opposition from their rivals, and so ensure a better, more lucrative market? Who knows ...Bham da bham (insert tune from random conspiracy theory)
Evolve or Die
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7004

Contact Admins Sarna.net