What use is a Battlemaster ?

Pages: 1
Rotwang
03/22/03 08:09 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I recently started a few games with some new players and did an introductory game. 2 Lances fighting each other : 1st lance had a Battlemaster, Archer, Centurion and a Locust, while the 2nd had an Awesome, Warhammer, Phoenix Hawk and a Javelin.

One of the players commented that he could guess what most mechs were designed for, but he drew a blank at the Battlemaster.

So, what use is a 3025 Battlemaster ? Mobile support ? Close Assault ? Command Mech ? Heavy Recon ?
Eclipz
03/22/03 09:09 PM

I always thought it was a command mech?

Scott
KamikazeJohnson
03/22/03 10:02 PM

Command 'Mech...it was usually the Command 'Mech of choice of the DCMS, and if you read all the fluff, it says somewhere that the cockpit is equipped with a special command console system or some such.

Conbat-wise, it's an all-purpose front-line 'Mech: decent speed for its size, heavy armour and close-range firepower, lighter long-range, but no ammo limitations at range. Rear-firing weapons. Well suited to an officer who commands from the front of the battle, rather than the back.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
03/23/03 12:14 AM

3025 Battlemaster is...mostly a close combat machine. 1 PPC, but a short range battery of 4 medium lasers and an SRM 6.

Fun L1 mods:
1) Turn rear MLs forward.
2) Ditch SRM 6, MGs for another PPC - get a properly armored 85-ton Warhammer with nasty short range firepower.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
LordChaos
03/23/03 04:45 PM

I tend to thenk of the Battlemaster as a multipurpose jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none mech. It's strongest point appears to be duribility, allowing it to keep fighting longer. This can make it an ideal cammand unit (at least in some eyes).

However, it also depends on who you ask. If you ask me for my serious answer, I'd reply "it's main use is to waste 85 tons".
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
Zwischy
03/23/03 11:45 PM

Nah, the Battlemaster is a very well-built Mech. For 85 tons, it's got great speed. It has plenty of armor to absorb abuse while it closes (and of course there's probably lancemates to take some of the heat), and plenty of guns to deliver damage when it gets there. It's hard to find a lot of fault with this design. Sure, the long-range firepower isn't huge, but a PPC in level 1 tech should be enough to keep any veteran player on their toes. Sure, it's a command Mech because of its size and durability, but it's a close assault machine to be respected.
Krieg
03/24/03 12:06 PM

I agree with everybody saying that the BattleMaster is a front line BM. In that order of idea another kind of mod should be to add Jump jets that would enable Death from above by ditching the MG and a med las or two.
Spartan
03/24/03 05:39 PM

I think what he meant was that the Battlemaster could actually benefit from being about 10 tons lighter.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Cadet
03/24/03 07:25 PM

Pretty much every books mech can be improved, but I think it's the quirks that makes using them fun.
Does not play well with others.
CrayModerator
03/24/03 09:17 PM

Yeah, you can build an identical mech on a 75-ton chassis - at L1, and if you don't mind the slightly lighter melee damage and internal structure damage capacity. Some weight savings possible in L2 open the possibility of superior armor.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Bob_Richter
03/25/03 05:06 PM

It has a PPC, which allows it to fight at range.

It has four forward-facing medium lasers and an SRM-6, which give it a brutal in-close punch.

That and good mobility give you a multirole 'Mech with a focus on close-range brawling. It's hampered by a lack of jump jets, tho.

-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
LordChaos
03/25/03 11:51 PM

Actualy, I ment what I said. The BM, to me, was always a waste of 85 tons (assuming lvl 1). For that mass, I could put down a stalker (slightly less armor and slightly slower, but much more firepower, and longer ranged firepower at that). Or the Zues variant with the PPC back in place (personaly choice, nothing but luck with zues's), or an Awsome (even MORE armor and firepower then the Bmaster... does it matter ti's only a 3/5 as opposed to a 4/6? (remember, lvl 1)). And those last 2 allow me to bump up another unit 5 tons as well!

No, while a BM isn't last on my list of light weight assult mechs, it's not one I ever willingly choose. In most cases, I'd rather have a 80 or 75 tonner in it's place.
Spartan
03/26/03 12:57 PM

Okay I see your line of reasoning. I kind of agree but I still think that extra speed boost can be useful under certain circumstances. And at lvl2 I like to team it up in a lance with other fast assault mechs because I like having that extra boost of speed.

I tend toward a manuever warfare doctrine so I like faster mechs. I've been in too many battles where a slow moving unit got bogged down because of terrain and was a nonfactor in the fight.
Spartan

Zwischy
03/26/03 07:11 PM

The main difference between 3/5 and 4/6 is small, but I've seen it make a huge difference on the sandtable.

Basically, the 4/6 allows you considerably more mobility options than just the extra MP. It allows you to make a 1-hexside turn and still get the +2 modifier to be hit.

I know, it sounds like not much, big deal, right? But I can't count the number of times that being able to change that one facing has allowed a Mech to get into cover or make a critical closing maneuver underneath a LRM's or PPC's minimum range - and still get a +2
LordChaos
03/26/03 09:26 PM

I agree when it comes to lvl 2 (though there are still situations I'd make the tradeoff back to a 3-5 from a 4-6). I've always thought of the BM as a lvl 1 mech (old habits you know), so I always tend to compair it against other lvl 1 mechs. In that light, it's not bad, but it leaves much to be deisred in my opinion.
Bob_Richter
03/27/03 02:33 PM

Yeah. If those other two lasers just pointed FORWARD, and an LRM rack instead of the SRM...

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
LordChaos
03/27/03 03:11 PM

You know, that wouldn't be a bad idea.....
Spartan
03/27/03 05:14 PM

Little things like this are part of the reason I tend toward faster mechs.
Spartan

LordChaos
03/27/03 05:22 PM

http://www.sarna.net/w3t/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=btdesigns&Number=56411&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
Arzakon
05/11/03 12:51 PM

My favorite mod was to ditch the MGs, the ammo, and a ton of SRM-6 ammo, and max out the armor plate. In 3050, this was enhanced by an XL engine, which allowed jump jets and increased heat dissipation, as well as slapping an ER Large in the off hand.

As for what it's for, I've always used it as a front-line command vehicle.

(edit: couple typos)

Edited by Arzakon (05/11/03 01:34 PM)
GiovanniBlasini
06/10/03 07:13 AM

Ye gods, man! I never considered a PPC in place of the SRMs and MGs.

Or, if you like having jump jets, remove the rear lasers and the MGs for 4 jump jets, and remove the SRM with its two tons of ammo for a large laser.

On the whole, though, I've done some serious damage with the BattleMaster in its stock 1G variant.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
Watcher
06/22/03 05:22 AM

Hi People

I'm new here, but I was just reading this thread and thought I'd pop my head in and put my 2c in

I?ve always tasked the BattleMaster mech with lighter mechs as the company command mech, due to its extra bit of speed (as noted by many others) it has the ability to keep up with a company of lighter mechs, it also then has the ability to bring large amounts of firepower to bear, that light mechs just can?t withstand.

Watcher

Ps. Good to see this place active again !!! I used to visit almost daily back a few years ago
tgsofgc
08/08/03 07:31 PM

Guessing this is pointless now but I just joined the forums so I figured I'd put in my 2 cents.
The BLR-1G is a far better unit than the rep it got in this string. Its primary use in my opinion is two fold. In organized units, such as house units it serves as a decent command mech with mixed range weapondry. The second use is as a front line assault mech with exceptional survivability and multiple role capabilities. This makes it an ideal mech for poor units such as mercenaries whom need the hitting power of an assault mech but can't afford to specialize.
Is the Battlemaster as good as it could be? As posted earlier of corse not, every book battlemech is flawed but that makes the games more enjoyable. On an aside did you know you can recreate the AWS-8Q in lvl 2 rules on a 55 ton frame, except for slightly less armor, and greater heat distribution.
Personally the BLR-1D is one of my favorite 3025 assault mechs for a mercenary unit, avoiding the massive heat problems, with mixed range weapondry, and decent speed for its huge frame. Also it should be noted that the BLR-1G makes a decent city fighter, especially if it is modified to have jump jets.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Bob_Richter
08/10/03 08:14 AM

>>>an aside did you know you can recreate the AWS-8Q in lvl 2 rules on a 55 ton frame, except for slightly less armor, and greater heat distribution.<<<

Um. SLIGHTLY less armor?

Oh, and don't forget the structure you're losing.

But, yes, you can make a level 2 55 tonner with 3 PPCs.

Then again, you can make a level ONE 75 tonner with nearly identical capabilities to the BMaster (lighter IS, and less selective armor distribution are the two drawbacks.)

tgsofgc
08/10/03 03:45 PM

If your intressted in seeing it I posted itin the design section. It costs 60% of the level 1 80 tonner, has 77% the armor, and about 88% of the BV. Believe you me I'd take 5 of the smaller awesomes over 3 of the larger ones....
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Bansee
08/26/03 11:23 AM

Seriously, command/assault. IIRC
Thor_Mech
02/20/04 03:41 PM

I dunno. When the ComStar "Death Commandos" attack New Avalon during the 4th War, Hanse Davion (in his Battlemaster) fought them off until Team Banzai could come help. I believe the Battlemaster is useful for its extreme durability, and the ability to deal a quick savaging with no ammo concerns, being mostly a PPC and M Lasers.
"Even after all these years, walking through the ranks of 'Mechs still gives me the chills"
- Intelligence Secretary Justin Xiang Allard
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 12133

Contact Admins Sarna.net