Who are the oldtimers still left ?

Pages: 1
DireWolf
09/25/04 04:54 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey. Its LeV "Dire Wolf" Arris making an appearance. Are there any oldtimers still around ?
-Lt. Lev (Res. Inf.) "Dire Wolf" Arris, IDF.

"What is it like fighting the Wolf ? Imagine a lightning with legs, an earthquake with arms, a catastrophe with genius or just pure hell on wheels".
Spartan
09/25/04 08:36 AM

/raises hand

Me!!!

How are ya Lev? Long time since we heard from you. Updates bro, updates.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
DireWolf
09/25/04 04:06 PM

Been around. Took up on the IDF's offer to become a company commander. This grants me two years of academic studies on the army's account, which is nice.

Currently I am finishing my current assingment as a platoon leader in our Infatry Sergeant School and then becoming the battalion's tactical operation officer... In august I'm going to study.

Thinking of getting married too.
-Lt. Lev (Res. Inf.) "Dire Wolf" Arris, IDF.

"What is it like fighting the Wolf ? Imagine a lightning with legs, an earthquake with arms, a catastrophe with genius or just pure hell on wheels".
Spartan
09/26/04 01:21 PM

Congrats!!!
Spartan

Grizzly
09/26/04 04:10 PM

Good to hear from you Dire Wolf! It's also good to hear that all is well and that you may be taking the large step of matrimony! Congratulations! Some of us are still around, but with my real life work schedule, I haven't been able play battletech let alone post to the board on a regular basis. But there is hope.... a new hobby shop opened near my job, and they have battletech nights. Now I just need to stop by for a visit.... Good luck and stay safe!
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Nightward
10/08/04 08:01 PM

Still here. I can remember this place before the Neveron forums arrived. Way back when Nic Jansma was still Slayer.

None of this newfangled forums and modern thinkning. Why, when I came here it was one massive flamewar from one end of the forum to the other!

Those were the days...

Also, I signed up 8 days after you did. Man, I feel *OLD* when I realise how long I've been here.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
CrayModerator
10/17/04 01:13 PM

I got here 2.5 months after you did. Does that qualify as an old timer?

I recall being asked to join by Nadin Brzezinski to help her out on a flame war she started. She wasn't happy when I rendered my opinion on the matter.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
phoenix
10/17/04 04:56 PM

I honestly think those flame wars have gone down as part of the Btech history I remember the days of Bob Richter, Nadin, Karagin, oh what memories. I noticed this board really started to die out when the CBT forums went active and now its mainly just the Neveron people and the occasional random question.

Great to hear things are going well for ya Lev!
Phoenix
Nightward
10/19/04 08:49 PM

Heh.

I think anyone who's survived the Great Sarna Flamewars qualifies as a definate veteran around this place. Ditto anyone who's made it past the 1K post mark.

The forums really did die when CBT came on-line. That place irritates me, though; the posters there seem to take pride in extreme arsehattery, and their .sig file images are very unforgiving on my poor 56K modem. I *INFINITELY* prefer this place, and you guys.

Man. I wonder what would have happened if Neven had arrived here during our heyday. Probably would have looked something like Danth and that "Vigourously Alive" stuff over on Tangency at RPG.Net...

Any way, I'm going to feebly search for my walking stick and hobble off to another site, muttering vague and obscene old-man imprecations. See you around.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Spartan
10/20/04 09:11 AM

Neven would have been torn to shreds if had arrived during the Great Flame Wars. Any of them.
Spartan

phoenix
10/20/04 10:54 PM

Quote:

The forums really did die when CBT came on-line. That place irritates me, though; the posters there seem to take pride in extreme arsehattery, and their .sig file images are very unforgiving on my poor 56K modem. I *INFINITELY* prefer this place, and you guys.

In the past few months I've found myself drifting away from the CBT forums. I used to check them once or twice a day but they've become so busy and, as you nicely put it, "full of arsehattery". Lately I've been checking the Battlecorps message board. No where near as many people and more interesting discussions. And of course I check this page every few days. Old habits die hard
Phoenix
Nightward
10/21/04 03:27 AM

Heh. I did my best, but (un?)fortunately, I lack the killer instinct of a true flaming troll.

I mainly kept my head down during the Great Sarna Flame Wars. But I did kind of sort of managed to negotiate a cease-fire between Bob and Karagin...

Any way. We Sarna natives are just a higher calibre of net-citizen
Greyslayer
10/28/04 06:03 PM

Quote:

Still here. I can remember this place before the Neveron forums arrived. Way back when Nic Jansma was still Slayer.

The busy sites for btech back then was more the rec.mecha place if I remember rightly... home to many loonies who were responsible for many of the arguments here when they tried to bring their stupidity our way.

Quote:

None of this newfangled forums and modern thinkning. Why, when I came here it was one massive flamewar from one end of the forum to the other!

It gave us something to read, though the repititive nature of some of the postings was annoying.

Quote:

Also, I signed up 8 days after you did. Man, I feel *OLD* when I realise how long I've been here.

That sign-up date was the second or third time the database was restarted from memory. I held off re-activating the second time if I remember rightly.

At least most of the multi-personality types have left (probably over at CBT, afterall some of the higher-ups there were the worst for multi-personalities here). Still haven't been to CBT into my 3rd year I think, when I say I will not visit a hovel I follow through with it .
CrayModerator
10/28/04 08:22 PM

Quote:

The busy sites for btech back then was more the rec.mecha place if I remember rightly... home to many loonies who were responsible for many of the arguments here when they tried to bring their stupidity our way.

And yet, the RGM crowd still gets mentioned in the credits of new BT books.

Which of the RGM arguments brought here bothered you most?

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
SSFSX17
10/29/04 05:47 PM

That depends. How old is "old timer?" I remember when Bob Richter 'n them were around and setting topics on fire.

However, I'm getting this feeling that I'm actually new compared to many other "old timers."
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Greyslayer
11/01/04 11:03 AM

Quote:

And yet, the RGM crowd still gets mentioned in the credits of new BT books.

Yes of course, these are the same loons who now control or part-control the 'filling in' of classic battletech so why wouldn't they plug their spawning ground?

Quote:

Which of the RGM arguments brought here bothered you most?

Probably the people that bothered me the most, their arguments were more an indication of character. I won't go into names though... sorry to spoil the fun
GiovanniBlasini
11/02/04 12:21 AM

Quote:

I got here 2.5 months after you did. Does that qualify as an old timer?

I recall being asked to join by Nadin Brzezinski to help her out on a flame war she started. She wasn't happy when I rendered my opinion on the matter.

Lemme guess - you disagreed with her? I've butted heads with her a time or two, myself - she used to play down at Game Empire in San Diego.

Lessee....I re-registered here a whole week after DireWolf on 5/8/01, which was a re-registration - I used to post as Hatamoto (there's still a battlesuit design I did from back then in the 'Mech Submissions, waiting for approval ^_^).
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
Nightward
11/02/04 02:29 AM

Dude.

Cray disagrees with everybody.

Nah. Cray and I both have a limitless hat of jackasses who try to flame each other down for pitiful reasons. Stupid flaming trolls...everybody should be forced to take some sort of personality breathalyser test before being allowed on the Intarweb.

Mindd you, and please excuse the profanity in advance, but jdrakeh of RPG.Net sums it up perfectly:

"Where the f*** have you been? Way back when they invented these things caled "modems", I'd have sworn they were farming trolls for the implicit purpose of testing them out."
--jdrakeh.

Also, see: TGIFWT: Attachment (344 downloads)
CrayModerator
11/02/04 08:23 AM

Quote:

Dude.

Cray disagrees with everybody

At one point or another, but not all at once. :P For example, while I disagreed with Nadin's position in the thread that got me onto Sarna.net, I was agreeing with the majority of the people in that thread (to wit: Nadin had started the flame war by misunderstanding a comment).

Spartan
11/04/04 09:50 PM

Quote:

Nadin had started the flame war by misunderstanding a comment

As I recall, Nadin was pretty good at doing that.
Spartan

Ghost
11/08/04 11:51 PM

Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long time. Nadin. I think I made a point in going after her on a couple of occassions, and she after me.
I just got back on here. Sorry to see it dying off like this.
SSFSX17
11/10/04 03:04 AM

If I recall correctly, the primary war was between Bob Richter and her, with everyone else getting caught up. I remember trying to make some sense out of the situation by asking everybody what, exactly, had happened, but, unfortunately...

To this day, I still do not know what happened. Is the objective truth lost forever?
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 12931

Contact Admins Sarna.net