Design Competition

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Fang
07/16/08 09:26 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
what kind of loaded die you using? If both are 3 gun according to the rules, and I jump and move through cover....three caps in a row are very unlikely. will most likely ammo my mech with multiple Gauss and PPC strikes as I crit your tank with autocannon and srms.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
KitK
07/16/08 01:26 PM

FPN-IF1 Flash-in-the-Pan

Weight: 50 Tons
Chassis: CMCStandard Medium
Power Plant: Nissan 200
Cruising Speed: 43 (4 hexes)
Maximum Speed: 64.5 (6 hexes)
Jump Jets: Rawlings
Jump Capacity: 120 meters (4 hexes)
Armor: Durallex Medium with CASE
Armament:
1 Hovertec SRM 2
1 Kali Yama Weapons Industries LB 10-X AC
2 Magna Quasar Medium Pulse Lasers
1 Magna Mk II Medium Laser
2 Magna 200P Small Pulse Lasers
Manufacturer: CMCDesigns
Primary Factory: Dieron
Communications System: Sony MSF-21
Targeting and Tracking System: Winston Sidewinder

Overview:
The Flash-in-the-Pan was designed for an open weight
tournement.

Reconstruction note: please place LBX-10 slug and SRM inferno
ammo somewhere in the top 6 right torso critical slots. ie. 1jj
2ammo 3ammo 4lbx 5lbx 6lbx. Thanks

I debated some whether to go 5/8/5 but felt the slower mechs
increased firepower and lower engine cost out-weighed the speed. I
hope I was right.

Capabilities:
The Flash-in-the-Pan is a close range mech supported at long
range with and LBX 10 autocannon (If it doesn't say Kali Yama its not
really and autocannon. Stop into CMCDParts today - your official
Kali Yama Retailer). The Flash-in-the-Pan carries slug rather than
shot ammo to punch holes, taking advantage of the lighter weight
rather than looking for critical hits.

The Flash-in-the-Pan's SRM2 is loaded with inferno ammo for
tactical use against vehicles and battlemechs.

Deployment:
Prototype
Not in Production
Testing and Competition deployment only

Battle History:
In two MegaMek tests against the Carbine it held its own.

Known Variants:
5/8/5 version moves the medium laser to the left torso and
drops 2 medium pulse lasers. Also requires ferro-fiberous
armor.

Proposed production version carries 3 medium pulse lasers instead
of 2 medium and 2 small pulse lasers.

A rejected version uses a large pulse laser rather then the 3
medium pulse and standard medium lasers.

FPN-IF1 Flash-in-the-Pan

Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 2
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: - EndoSteel 2.5
Engine: 200 8.5
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 4
Heat Sinks: 10(20) - Double 0
Gyro: 2
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 168 10.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 16 21
Center Torso(rear) 10
R/L Torso 12 16
R/L Torso(rear) 8
R/L Arm 8 16
R/L Leg 12 24

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
Medium Pulse Laser LT 1 2
Medium Pulse Laser LT 1 2
Small Pulse Laser LT 1 1
Small Pulse Laser LT 1 1
Jump Jet LT 1 0.5
LB 10-X AC RT 6 11
LB 10-X AC Ammo - Slug RT 1 1
SRM 2 Ammo - Inferno RT 1 1
CASE RT 1 0.5
Jump Jet RT 1 0.5
SRM 2 RA 1 1
Jump Jet CT 2 0.5
Medium Laser H 1 1

Endosteel
RA 3
LA 4
RT 2
LT 1
RL 2
LL 2

Double Heatsinks
LT 2 (6 cr)

Edited by KitK (07/16/08 05:37 PM)
Fang
07/16/08 02:59 PM

you have more than one medium pulse laser. I may be mistaken, but I think the rules state you can not have more than two of each weapon type you use. but I still like it.

Edited by Fang (07/16/08 03:00 PM)
KitK
07/16/08 03:31 PM

O dang! your right. So much for carefully following simple instructions.

I'll have to work out my change and post a revision.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/16/08 10:59 PM

Quote:

O dang! your right. So much for carefully following simple instructions.

I'll have to work out my change and post a revision.

Oh tell them to stick there rules or you will stick your LB 10-X where the sun don't shine sideways. *Man that got to hurt!* hehehe
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
07/16/08 11:02 PM

Quote:

what kind of loaded die you using?

The best of course! I mean no I am not using loaded dice. *I pocket the loaded dice.*
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
07/17/08 10:16 AM

I still like it, KitK. Heh " held its own against the Carbine." Little permature, yeah? Hope we get a chance to throw them at each other and see what happens.
07/17/08 10:28 AM

Oh by the way my tank now has a name the "Carbine Killer"

Oops, sorry typo the was suppose to be "Mule Kicker". You know you hit that one wrong letter on the keyboard and it changes everyting.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (07/17/08 10:35 AM)
07/17/08 10:45 AM

Quote:

I still like it, KitK. Heh " held its own against the Carbine." Little permature, yeah? Hope we get a chance to throw them at each other and see what happens.

Lets see a 60 ton tank ageist a 65 ton mech. In a game that is biest towards mechs. Where one SRM 2 inferno round can destroy a 100 ton tank with one hit. Ya my tank has a big chance.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
KitK
07/17/08 12:18 PM

Premature? Yeah, probably. Though I didn't say I won.
I just picked up MegaMek so I thought this would be an interesting way to try out the software too. Though it may be a cheesy thing to do too. Anyway...
I'd say the computer AI didn't do the Carbine justice. Still it gives me some confidence. And, I learned to hate your AMS.
Fang
07/17/08 12:21 PM

LoL! How did you enter the custom designs into MegaMek. Did you have to use Heavy Metal Pro to do it? I have been trying to figure out how to do so for awhile now. I only have The Drawing Board atm.
KitK
07/17/08 12:25 PM

I like inferno missiles, I really do.
Unless of course I'm on the recieving end. But I don't want to talk about that.
I'd rather go dream about roasting marshmallows over a burning tank.
07/18/08 02:15 AM

I use the US current definition of WMD. Where if a weapon renders a body unidentifiable its a WMD. Infernos and flamers are WMD ageist PBI and tanks. under my house rules armored PBI and tanks are to leave fire hexes and can not inter them. There not automatically destroyed for being in a fire hex.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
KitK
07/20/08 05:03 PM

I have the Drawing Board 2.0.23. I save the mech as an XML file under File>Save as XML. Then I find the folder from which MegaMek reads in the mechs (megamek>data>mechfiles. I made my own file (to keep things separate) called MyMechs and cut and pasted the XML file there. Then my mech comes up in the list. Though sometimes it is hard to find in those massive lists. One other problem is that sometimes MegaMek replaces my level disignation with a "F." I am not sure what this means because the mech is in the right catagory. But I do know it prevents the mech from loading into the game. Apparently, it thinks there is some illegal equipment. I guess there is a java program with Megamek that help diagnos this problem, but I haven't got to the point where I want to download a java compiler and sort it out.
Dester
07/22/08 11:16 AM

3 designs accpeted and a little over a week for the dead line. Hopefully one more will submit something so i don't have to whip up something real quick like to be a "house" unit.

The mech with infernos could be a very interesting mech.
07/22/08 03:12 PM

That was added only so the rule about inferno missiles would be used. So he can hit my tank with just one missile and destroy it. I exercise the part of the inferno rule that says players must agree on the use of infernos before play. I don't agree on there use.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Dermezel
07/22/08 03:37 PM

I would like to enter Suppon though I think that would violate a great deal of rules. Perhaps if I replace the Heavy Gauss it would be more acceptable, or do they not allow LAMs?
Dester
07/22/08 05:24 PM

Sorry Dermezel no LAMs, and I must insist that it follow the rest of the rules as well.

Donkey, don't worry i don't believe in instant kill weapons so there will be some rolls involved for the inferno to destroy the tank.
Lafeel
07/22/08 05:53 PM

Also, I am right, Dester, that the HGR isn't old school lvl 2 tech? By that I assumed you meant the stuff used in the (fasa) original 3050 tro.

edit: wrong number

Edited by Lafeel (07/22/08 05:54 PM)
Dester
07/22/08 06:37 PM

Correct lafeel, The Heavy Gauss Rifle is not "old school" level 2. That tech being the new items in the orignal FASA TRO 2750 and 3050. I tried to list them all out but forgot the standard gauss rifle.

Most of the "new" advanced tech just seams very gimicy and overly complicated. so i have blanket outlawed it. Personally the only things that make any kinda since are expanding the current group of ER lasers, LBX and ultra auto-cannons and maybe an IS reverse engineered version of the targeting computer and a clan version of the C-3 (though the advantages of that are very unclan like).

I personally don't care for anything past the 3058 TRO (orignal FASA) and 99.9% of the things that wiz kids did to the battletech universe. I think Catalyst is making strides to move on, but got stuck with all of wiz kids crap. The only thing that i have seen worth while between the two was revising how anti-missle systems work.

To be fair i believe that the final run of products from FASA were going down the gimicy path with Max Tech and stuff, but it only got worse with wiz kids. I will give them some credit for keeping the game alive, but just only.

Dester
Lafeel
07/22/08 09:06 PM

Just for giggles I would like to enter the Ishida variant into the contest, if it's ok. It would be pretty funny if it did any good seeing as it's handi capped by having a C3 master in it.
Fang
07/22/08 10:39 PM

um, didn't realize one could put a HGR on a LAM design. Lams are limited to a max weight of 55 tons, and the HGR wold take a lot of that weight. does your HGR toting LAM have any armor or speed? And could it actually fire the weapon in flight? aren't there piloting skill rolls involved?
Tripod
07/23/08 06:28 AM

haha, that would be funny to see an aerospace fighter fire a HGR and lawn dart because of it.

i would like to know the rule for that situation though.

what happened to the other design contest i entered? seems to have died off...sux... i might come up with something for this one... what is the actual date deadline?
TBA
07/23/08 09:57 AM

Quote:

Sorry Dermezel no LAMs, and I must insist that it follow the rest of the rules as well.

Donkey, don't worry i don't believe in instant kill weapons so there will be some rolls involved for the inferno to destroy the tank.

Yes there is one roll. That one roll says that there is a 42% chance every round that any tank no matter what its destroyed by only one missile. So a 20 ton mech can destroy a 100 ton tank with a 42% chance every round. With a inferno staying on the tank for three rounds thats a guarantied kill with one missile.

Tanks already are at a unfair disadvantage as it is. Infernos are just adding more.

I don't agree with infernos being aloud to be used.

If you want to say that an inferno round does not hit the tank but it hits the hex that its in. Also that if the tank leaves the hex as soon as it can it will not be affected by the fire. I will agree to that. The only way that the tank can be destroyed by fire is if its dead in the water. By that point its destroyed anyways. If you have that as the rule for tanks and fire I will agree to the use of infernos. If not no infernos missiles.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
07/23/08 11:14 AM

I can see that now LAM fires hgr then goes cartwheeling backwards while the gauss shell just falls to the ground.
KitK
07/23/08 01:48 PM

Dude stop your Royal Highass complaining. You were saying something about how many tanks you could take if based on cost. Well, vehicles are cheap because they are vulnerable, die easy, and are expendable. It is the nature of Battletech to keep the vehicles in support roles and the Mechs as King of the Battlefield. And, besides, cost being a major factor in determing the winner, your tank takes its edge and advantage in that aspect. Not to mention the possibility of taking a Mech's head off at long-range, which has been known to happen. Inferno's give you heartburn, but you could be tread-dead with a jammed turret just as easily from a LBX or SRM.

Point 1 - Diplomacy: suggest a new rule, change or modification. Don't be so demanding. Dester is running the competition not you.

Point 2 - I am not taking off my inferno unless Dester asks me to. It is intergal to the Mech's design and removal would destroy its character. Even if Dester mitigates its effectiveness to keep things fair, I'd leave it on. I'd be disappointed, but I'd leave it on.

Point 3 - You obviously think I have put you at an unfair disadvantage. So, perhaps Dester would allow you to modify your submission, so that you could add an AMS with a couple tons of ammo. A SRM-2 is fairly easy to deal with. I will even ask for you.

Dester, my design has left His Royal Highass Donkey's tank in a potentially unfair situation. Would you allow him/her to modify his/her design to address this situation, if he/she desires to do so? Thank you. KitK
Dester
07/23/08 02:56 PM

donkey,
Nit picking rules, throwing a temper tantrum and telling me what I can and can't do in my own competition are quick ways to get on my bad side.

By subitting your design, you agreed to all my rules, and stipulations. and since i didn't outlaw or give custom rules for infernos, they will be played as is. You chose the cheap vehicle route to give yourself a cost advanate in the competition so you don't get to whine about how unfair infernos are. Each chassis has their own advantages and limitations so don't expect me to feed your munchinizem by bending the rules to make your tank imune to one of its vulerable aspects."

Kitk yes, he can modify it to add an anti-missle system as i havent' actually built these out yet.

Lafeel, thank you for the submition, that puts us at 4 and I will go ahead and finish the build outs and get things started.

Tripod:
The offical end date for submissions is the end of July, 2008 so you have some time. I will just be getting things started a little early as i get submissions to keep things paced out.

I will take a total of up to 8 designs (one per person) or untill the end of july, which ever comes first.

Dester
Lafeel
07/23/08 03:15 PM

Look, Donkey, don't take this the wrong way, but the reason why the game is so biased in favour of mechs probably does have something (meaning a lot) to do with the fact that this game is, ultimately, not about the vehicles, but the 'mechs, when it comes down to it.

We don't have to like it, but unless we want to go down the road of fundamentally changing the rules of the game so it is not so biased, we are going to have to live with it.
07/23/08 05:39 PM

Quote:

Dude stop your Royal Highass complaining. You were saying something about how many tanks you could take if based on cost. Well, vehicles are cheap because they are vulnerable, die easy, and are expendable. It is the nature of Battletech to keep the vehicles in support roles and the Mechs as King of the Battlefield. And, besides, cost being a major factor in determing the winner, your tank takes its edge and advantage in that aspect. Not to mention the possibility of taking a Mech's head off at long-range, which has been known to happen. Inferno's give you heartburn, but you could be tread-dead with a jammed turret just as easily from a LBX or SRM.

Point 1 - Diplomacy: suggest a new rule, change or modification. Don't be so demanding. Dester is running the competition not you.

Point 2 - I am not taking off my inferno unless Dester asks me to. It is intergal to the Mech's design and removal would destroy its character. Even if Dester mitigates its effectiveness to keep things fair, I'd leave it on. I'd be disappointed, but I'd leave it on.

Point 3 - You obviously think I have put you at an unfair disadvantage. So, perhaps Dester would allow you to modify your submission, so that you could add an AMS with a couple tons of ammo. A SRM-2 is fairly easy to deal with. I will even ask for you.

Dester, my design has left His Royal Highass Donkey's tank in a potentially unfair situation. Would you allow him/her to modify his/her design to address this situation, if he/she desires to do so? Thank you. KitK

Point 4 Inferno rules are not mandatory. From Battletech compendium page 70. quote All players should review the special-case rules and agree on thous to be included in there game before beginning play. end quote fire in in the special case rules.

As for your point 1 I did do that! I am willing to agree to them with some modification.
Quote:

If you want to say that an inferno round does not hit the tank but it hits the hex that its in. Also that if the tank leaves the hex as soon as it can it will not be affected by the fire. I will agree to that. The only way that the tank can be destroyed by fire is if its dead in the water. By that point its destroyed anyways. If you have that as the rule for tanks and fire I will agree to the use of infernos. If not no infernos missiles.

As for your last statement your right Dester has the last word. He can do whatever he feels like. Since this is not a campaign that I am joining. What ever I say is worth less than nothing. I am just trying to give my design a fair fighting chance. If infernos are used under the rules as they are. I might as well pull my tank design out of the competition. It does not have a chance.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
07/23/08 06:16 PM

Quote:

Look, Donkey, don't take this the wrong way, but the reason why the game is so biased in favour of mechs probably does have something (meaning a lot) to do with the fact that this game is, ultimately, not about the vehicles, but the 'mechs, when it comes down to it.

We don't have to like it, but unless we want to go down the road of fundamentally changing the rules of the game so it is not so biased, we are going to have to live with it.

If the biased was completely removed so would be battlemechs. Battlemechs will never see the light of day in the real world other than as a novelty you will see at SiFi conventions. All I was trying to do was get reed of the one shot one kill. I know that I will not win this. I never had a chance in the first place. I was just hopping that no one would have thought of using infernos to wipe out my tank with one shot.

I am the only person on this whole list that would like to see tanks win over a mechs. I am the marder for the underdog aka tanks. I knew that when I joined that I would not be liked since i am no where near gun ho for mechs as everyone else. *shrugs* But I am what I am.

I might as well not bother entering another one of these since everyones mechs will have infernos from now on.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 41311

Contact Admins Sarna.net