Operation Scorpion and it's Aftermath

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
davion76
08/18/05 04:32 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I disagree that everything printed in the sourcebooks is "fact". The stuff presented in these sourcebooks was written by someone is comstar. It is sure to be full of errors os mistake, as well as error in intelligence and "fog of war". Additionally, the facts might have been presented in a way that twisted their true meaning, like so many do with research data today. [ T.O.: I'm only getting paid 4 mil a year for being the best WR in football. Eagles: You are getting a 10mil signing bonus this year, so you are getiing paid 14 mil for playing this year! T.O. My salary is 4 mil, so I'm getting paid 4 mil a year! .....]

Maybe the HPG technology that Steiner spourcebook relates to was the black boxes. Perhaps it was an early working copy of the Tharkard to Avalon links - and with astronomical costs of production or maintenance. Perhaps they killed all of the scientists working on HPG technology. Perhaps the person in charge of intelligence on the Steiner HPG efforts was a Kurita sympathizer who was feeding bad data to Comstar to put pressure on the Lyrans. Who knows? Anything could have caused either the data printed to be incorrect.
Toontje
08/18/05 04:58 PM

Quote:

Maybe the HPG technology that Steiner spourcebook relates to was the black boxes. Perhaps it was an early working copy of the Tharkard to Avalon links - and with astronomical costs of production or maintenance. Perhaps they killed all of the scientists working on HPG technology. Perhaps the person in charge of intelligence on the Steiner HPG efforts was a Kurita sympathizer who was feeding bad data to Comstar to put pressure on the Lyrans. Who knows? Anything could have caused either the data printed to be incorrect.

AFAIK it was comstar policy at that time to end undesirable researchers in a little container. With such devastating potential, ROM should prioritize his elimination.

Other possibility: With Katherine's return from the perifery to overthrow Alexandr, and some unknown tech, the researcher was able to construct the black box.
Rather to blow up, then.
Karagin
08/19/05 12:31 AM

The sourcebooks are the only "facts" the players have to go on. As to HOW they are written via in game setting isn't the point. The point is these books are there to give us the players the facts of a house or group, thus what is printed is indeed fact for that group or house.

And the other point is nothing was ever done to tie up the lose ends or even recall them to aknowledge that yes at one time group A was doing this to get around group R. It's details and paying attention to those details that can make or break things.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
davion76
08/19/05 06:49 PM

I agree that the sourcebooks are the only "facts" that the players to go on, but there are two major advantages to the style of writing they had back in the 80s (Eg from Comstar's perspective). 1) it allows GM's to chance the BT universe in small ways that help further their campaigns. 2) It allows FASA (or now Wizkids) to change their path of universe development if they realize a previous plothook isn't good for the BT universe.
Karagin
08/19/05 10:32 PM

I agree with both of your points, BUT nothing was ever done with dozens of plot lines and threads. I also know there are errors and areas that don't mesh fully from book to book, then again looking at the "history book" around the world there are going to be areas that don't mesh.

Changing plot lines is fine, forgetting about printed facts is wrong. We get an entire book plus some on info of very minor Periphery nations, yet they (TPTW or Are) can't do something similar to clear up two major points, one being what actually was done by the Suns and the Commonwealth when they had the HPGs and what all happen to the Lyrans research into HPG tech.

Maybe we will see Randall do something with the older stuff which would and is an excellent idea and something that I think would go a long way to helping keep the older fans interested and allow new players to see the older materials. The Historicals are an excellent step in the right directions and we knew more of them as well similar type books.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 16957

Contact Admins Sarna.net