Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/28/11 10:53 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:

I'm back.

Quote:

Quote:

So let me get this straight- you say that we ignored the laws of force, however you state that they will, and I quote, "will fall over with any recoil what so ever." So if he fires a .22 revolver, he's toppled over?

That is not what I meant, but since you are looking for any hairs to split yes it can be read that way. The subject was arming mechs, protomechs and battle armor with heavy weapons not small arms.

Splittin' hairs? Nope, I was just taking your argument to it's logical conclusion, as per debate team ruling. Now, if you had said something along the lines of "Would suffer from recoil, and would fall over easily" then I could agree with you, at least on some level. This is the internet, Donkey- if you aren't picking apart an argument bit by bit, you aren't arguing well .

I am sorry that unlike you I am not a Mater Bater. I will just have to do the best that I can when it comes to discussing my point of view.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Prince_of_Darkness
07/04/11 09:35 PM

I'm gonna put this thread to bed in a moment; not being able to reply for this amount of time doesn't make it worthwhile.

Quote:

I am sorry that unlike you I am not a Mater Bater. I will just have to do the best that I can when it comes to discussing my point of view.

First, it's Master-deBATER- comon', a dick joke is not hard to screw up

I can understand the second part, tho. Years of writing have led me to be rather punctual on the interbutt.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/05/11 06:38 AM

Quote:

I'm gonna put this thread to bed in a moment; not being able to reply for this amount of time doesn't make it worthwhile.

Quote:

First, it's Master-deBATER- comon', a dick joke is not hard to screw up

I can understand the second part, tho. Years of writing have led me to be rather punctual on the interbutt.

I am sorry, I just could not rise to the occasion.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
07/05/11 09:00 AM

Quote:

I am sorry, I just could not rise to the occasion.

I get it!
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Prince_of_Darkness
07/05/11 12:09 PM

That was pretty good
CrayModerator
07/11/11 01:03 PM

A useful video on the state-of-the-art in humanoid robotics: Robo-Soccer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14105078

There's also some examples of wheeled robots, which help illustrate the software problems for robots even executing a simple program in a very structured environment.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Hythos
11/22/11 07:36 PM

The value of having a functional, semi-autonomous, bi-pedal robotic vehicle has reached a level of being invaluable - especially in a theatre of confrontation... Just ask Israel. Wheeled/tracked/rover-style robotics are only practical to an extent, but never are they as maneuverable as with what a leggeded design can achieve (even today).

NASA already has an option for the 'large scale' robotics (see http://athlete.jpl.nasa.gov/); While this is designed to be lightweight and ultra energy-efficient, the capabilities can be increased considerably by reinforcing any element (structure or motors, ect). The "full scale" will be closer to 10m tall.

As for existing structures, take Boston Dynamics or Osimo, for example. These are design concepts, but that's where they end. HIGHLY impractical, with very high energy use simply by their design. Gimble-type joints require too much power, and provide limitted strength and response. And *real* robotics with CPU-controlled movement are a far cry from the toy robot-kits used for "RoboCup Soccer".

A medium (3m) or larger-sized (10m) design will be capable in not too much longer, and will easily serve as a construction or garrison-type vehicle in almost any environment. They surely are coming.

So, to answer: Yes, the possibility is absolute, as is the necessity. Time is the real question.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 34209

Contact Admins Sarna.net