Origins of Merc 'Mechs

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Retry
12/27/13 01:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
If I recall some mercs have an agreement with their contracters that they take most or all the salvage from the battles they fight.
CrayModerator
12/27/13 01:15 PM

Quote:
And yet we are expected to believe that a new book will fix things

No, you're not "expected" to "believe" anything. Instead, you're invited to go read the draft rules yourself and nitpick them if you don't think they deliver what you're looking for. Again, here's the link. The files are free to download and you can see all the player feedback to date.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/board,84.0.html

Most of the repair and maintenance budgeting in Interstellar Operations' force operations chapter were based on prior Mercenary Handbooks, so that aspect's not new. The largest change was budgeting the force, which now gives an opportunity for real profit IF a force has a few good years with little damage.

Quote:
and give us a perfect table and charts and diagrams to show folks how to do something that was already in the game to start with...

Yes, it was in the game, which is why I also referenced prior Mercenary Handbooks throughout this thread. The major changes in the force creation and operation rules are:

1) Provide rules for building government and pirate forces in addition to merc forces
2) Go back to Mercenaries 1st edition method of acquiring units to speed up force creation (lump sum of cash, versus rolling for a few warriors at a time)
3) Establish payments related to actual costs of the force, so there's a chance mercs and pirates can turn a reasonable profit

Quote:
yeah not seeing that either.

Understood. Freely available online documents are hard to review.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
12/27/13 01:17 PM

They do have that, which is a great thing, BUT if they don't have the facilites to install the tech then really what good is it doing them? Sure they can sell it, get the cash and fix their equipment that way, but how long before a contractor goes, sorry not salvage rights when their parent government says no to that clause?

The new tech is like the Clan tech of old, prior to things reaching a point of almost equal, the Houses would not let let the mercs take the salvage. That lead to a lot of mercs going rouge as well as the nature of the Houses willing to throw the mercs in front of the Clan onslaught vs their own troops.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin
12/27/13 01:18 PM

Cray you took that comment out of context and you know that.
Karagin

CrayModerator
12/27/13 01:19 PM

Quote:
No offense, but i doubt i will get the new books. In my opinion, the newer stuff is nothing more then making huge amounts of damage and confusion just to make it look good. What is the difference between doing 1 point or 10000 points when the armor is adjusted to compensate? It requires x amount of hits weither its 1 point or 10000.

That hasn't happened to armor or damage. The pinnacle of damage is, for the most part, the 1989 Clan weapons. New armors don't greatly increase damage tolerance without a lot of penalties.

Quote:
Enemy has lasers. Use aerosol to disperse it. Using ppcs, lots of spikes in the ground to ground the shot. Missles, use lots of chaff to break targetting locks. yadda yadda. Why not drop bombs from orbit and be done with it. Or large rockets from orbit. Wipe out defender.

What have you been reading to think those are in the game?

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
12/27/13 01:20 PM

Quote:
If I recall some mercs have an agreement with their contracters that they take most or all the salvage from the battles they fight.

Salvage is one aspect of a merc contract.

Karagin
12/27/13 01:23 PM

What was wrong with the older Merc handbooks? Why couldn't they been ported over to the new system as is or with the small changes?

Sure you make rule changes to fix areas that max no sense or folks are not following at all, but why would a total revamp of a book that worked well enough be needed?

Mercs are there to be used in the BT universe, they are not the gilded House units, sure some are well known, Hounds, Dragoons etc...and some have gain favor of a House and become a favored unit and part of that nation, aka MAC, but for the most part the average merc unit is not going to be able to that without a lot of luck and some really amazing things happening for them.
Karagin

Karagin
12/27/13 01:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Enemy has lasers. Use aerosol to disperse it. Using ppcs, lots of spikes in the ground to ground the shot. Missles, use lots of chaff to break targetting locks. yadda yadda. Why not drop bombs from orbit and be done with it. Or large rockets from orbit. Wipe out defender.

What have you been reading to think those are in the game?

Think his point is they should be there in the game and I recall Keiths wrote an article call HI-TECH BATTLETECH for the fanzine FAR AND AWAY that had similar items in it that expanded BT to a nice new level, Keiths as in the Andrew and William, you might recall them Cray they wrote the books about the GDL.
Karagin

CrayModerator
12/27/13 01:44 PM

Quote:
Why couldn't they been ported over to the new system as is or with the small changes?

Many rules were ported over with only small changes, like I said earlier in this thread.

Karagin, are you actually going to read the drafts and player feedback? They're free, they're online, and every rule change that raised a flag with players is explained in the feedback threads.

Quote:
What was wrong with the older Merc handbooks?

1) Mercs Handbook 1st edition was optimized for generating merc units from only the 'Mechs in TR:3025. It didn't expand well to the current era, though it had some good ideas that were used in IntOps.
2) Mercs Handbook 2nd edition had an extremely tedious and slow method for generating forces. Most of its rules, though, became the basis for IntOps' rules.
3) Players had long complained of inadequate budget for their forces, and you can find some of those threads on Sarna. It was nearly impossible to turn a profit as a merc without stepping outside the rules. A merc could go bankrupt simply moving from across the Inner Sphere to a new mission.
4) No support for government or pirate forces.
5) No codification of force backgrounds or history generation guidance.

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
12/27/13 03:40 PM

Quote:
What was wrong with the older Merc handbooks? Why couldn't they been ported over to the new system as is or with the small changes?

Because everyone has already bought the old books and there is no corporate profits unless everyone buys more stuff.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
12/27/13 03:46 PM

Cray I will read them, but at the same time, if folks found issues, with things then they should have come up with ways around the issues. As for going broke, it might that things weren't played out well or they tried to be super heroes got their heads handed to them.

Also it depends on the GM and if they couldn't come up with a force of mechs when a wealth of information from scenario packs to all the rule books abounded back then, then really that is sad display of their ability to GM a game.
Karagin

Karagin
12/27/13 03:54 PM

Seriously if the GM is being a hard case then yes a player run unit will have issues, but wait that is true in every game system. So saying it is so hard in the BT system is not saying anything.
Karagin

CrayModerator
12/27/13 08:42 PM

Quote:
Because everyone has already bought the old books and there is no corporate profits unless everyone buys more stuff.

Corporate profits. That suggests the operation is big enough to qualify as a corporation in the colloquial sense.

CrayModerator
12/27/13 08:46 PM

Quote:
Cray I will read them,

Let me know if you have any particular issues with the drafts rules. Before posting the comments, please review the beta testing comments to see if your issues have been addressed / explained.

Quote:
but at the same time, if folks found issues, with things then they should have come up with ways around the issues.

They did, and they shared the work-around with FanPro and CGL. Interstellar Operations is the chance to codify all those years of players' experiences into an improved set of rules that meet the needs of the players. You need to respect the hard-won playtesting lessons of players using the older merc rules.

ghostrider
12/27/13 08:54 PM

The chaff was actually in one of the mech warrior computer games. Think it was 2. Mission against combine i believe had the combine hanging metal chunks from trees so light mechs could pop up and slam you, and you couldnt get any sort of lock. It was all visual.

Not sure where I seen about the aerosol. It may have come from the buck rogers video game of way back when. I also think there was a reference to it in one of the fiction books. Yes, I know the fiction wasnt considered canon. Now the original mechwarrior character book had something in there about stealth paint on one of the pictures of mechs dealing with the lyran commonwealth.

Some are just thought up when talking about things with old friends.

Thinking about it, they used ground base energy relays to fry incoming ships in one of the books. Want to say the fourth succession war. The confederation was hitting a jumpship manufacture equipment with intention to destroy the federate suns ability to produce them.

One of the scenario books had dealt with mechs underwater, and crawling. No rules for that in anything but that book. McKinnons raiders I believe.

And yes donkey. They dont make money if they dont come out with something to replace the older stuff. Nothing like getting mechwarrior 3rd generation book only to read it refers to 4th generation stuff.

One last thing that is in the books. Not sure if its lyran resource book or not, but they have systems to prevent damage to structure. Believe they used it on the collesium arena on solaris. detonates missles, bleeds off ppc energy, and darkens to avoid laser damage thru it.
Rotwang
12/28/13 06:48 AM

Quote:
HOW did he get the mech? Why would his boss give him another one? He just lost an expensive machine so really WHO would trust him with another?

If it's her personal mech, the mechwarrior approaches a unit offering a personal asset. They agree to conform to the unit's rules and regulations and the CO is happy to get a new toy in his lineup. If the mech gets destroyed their contract might incorporate some reimbursement for the loss, varying from money, salvage or even a replacement mech, depending on what the unit can afford.

If it belongs to the unit, you look at the situation. If the mech was destroyed when it was clear the situation was akin to floating in a current of fecal matter without manual propulsion, and they were the only thing standing between the enemy and the rest running back to the dropship, I doubt the commander would dare suggest it was their fault and kick them permanently out of the cockpit. If they stumble upon a binary of Clan mechs gong ooops and shouting "This wasn't planned !" Then yes, the CO would probably make sure they get demoted to clearing latrines.

In my case it's a personal mech, that was lost in combat, the unit is obliged by contract to reimburse the pilot with all available means and they offer a new assault class mech to make up for it. It's not of the same quality as the original mech, so the mechwarrior, with help of the unit's techs upgrades it as I assume that any reasonably successful Assault mech pilot would make more than enough to be at least well-off and set aside some money as a contingency.

Compare it to medieval times where a warhorse, a full suit of armour and all the extra equipment cost the equivalent of a mid-sized house. Since there were plenty of knights, they would have made the money to maintain that kind of equipment. Knights often did ransom each other and most would have the means to start over should they have lost everything.

In the post 3050-universe, most units would probably invest in buying new/used mechs that are not frontline equipment, they would probably be used for training or be on stand-by to replace losses. Companies would have 2-3 spare mechs in most cases, regiments might have anything from one to two companies of reserves.

One of the units I created is a fairly large combined arms force of two mech regiments, several armour and infantry regiments, artillery, air and aerospace assets (no dropships or jumpships though) they even have training cadres, reserves, transportation, maintenance and supply, military police and a SWAT team. All this is supplemented by techs, drivers, accountants, cooks, janitors, doctors, teachers because all those thousands of servicemen and women have families and dependents who have to clothed, fed, housed ...

Any Merc unit would have three major positions at the top (be they handled by a single person or multiple ones) one being the military commander who does the fighting bit, the CEO who makes sure the unit makes the money to stay in business and the mayor who leads a large community of combatants and non-combatants alike up to the size of an entire city. So your C-Bills don't just go to paying the ammo and the maintenance of your mechs, you have to buy anything from food to prefab housing, and even diapers in case your employer left those bits out of the contract.

Edited by Rotwang (12/28/13 09:55 AM)
CrayModerator
12/28/13 02:39 PM

Quote:
The chaff was actually in one of the mech warrior computer games.

If it doesn't show up in a rulebook, the video games don't count. (Ditto for cartoons and comics.)

Aerosols and chaff are basically non-entities in the real board game. Metal spikes in the ground wouldn't affect PPCs because, per Tech Manual, they're not some steam punk "lightning gun." They're particle accelerators that don't use raw voltage to deliver electricity to the target. They deliver beams of radiation at light-speed. The Lorentz Force Law says that over a range of BT PPCs metal spikes won't be noticed by the beams.

Quote:
Thinking about it, they used ground base energy relays to fry incoming ships in one of the books. Want to say the fourth succession war.

A microwave power transmission system was used to dazzle some DropShips in the 4th Succession Wars. The rules are provided in Tactical Operations under microwave power collectors, and they're not going to change the course of a battle unless you happen to build a city-sized power plant and transmitter array that are easily disable by a couple of aerospace fighters.

Quote:
One of the scenario books had dealt with mechs underwater, and crawling. No rules for that in anything but that book. McKinnons raiders I believe.

'Mechs underwater have been supported in the game since at least 1986 in BattleTech 2nd edition. Every subsequent core rule book addressed BattleMechs underwater (BattleTech 3rd edition, 4th Edition, BattleTech Compendium, BattleTech Master Rules, etc.). The Lyran Alliance Handbook and Tactical Operations added very deep underwater operations.

Quote:
One last thing that is in the books. Not sure if its lyran resource book or not, but they have systems to prevent damage to structure. Believe they used it on the collesium arena on solaris. detonates missles, bleeds off ppc energy, and darkens to avoid laser damage thru it.

It is in the Solaris VII boxed set, and was incorporated into regular BattleTech in the form of light engines. It offers no miraculous armor enhancement, just lighter (but bulkier) radiation shielding for fusion engines and transparent coliseum walls. If you'd like a 'Mech with transparent, weight-inefficient armor, that's the stuff to use. If you want weight-efficient armor, use regular armor.

Karagin
12/29/13 11:54 AM

Quote:

They did, and they shared the work-around with FanPro and CGL. Interstellar Operations is the chance to codify all those years of players' experiences into an improved set of rules that meet the needs of the players. You need to respect the hard-won playtesting lessons of players using the older merc rules.

Respect is a two way street, given how many of the PTB and some of their buddies have acted hard to respect them. As for the player testers, you missed the point. The work around are for each group needs NOT a mass hey this is how you did it here you go kind of thing, because each group playing is going to be different in what they do and expect from the game and it's mechanics.

Biggest issue many had with MW3 RPG was the pre-canned characters you got by rolling the life paths, and based on what I have seen those who loved it where the kind of players who use the archetypes for the character in any game they play verses using their own imagination etc...

Playtesting is a good thing, as long as both the pro and con get noticed, something that seems lacking at times with TPTB...
Karagin

Karagin
12/29/13 11:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
HOW did he get the mech? Why would his boss give him another one? He just lost an expensive machine so really WHO would trust him with another?

If it's her personal mech, the mechwarrior approaches a unit offering a personal asset. They agree to conform to the unit's rules and regulations and the CO is happy to get a new toy in his lineup. If the mech gets destroyed their contract might incorporate some reimbursement for the loss, varying from money, salvage or even a replacement mech, depending on what the unit can afford.

If it belongs to the unit, you look at the situation. If the mech was destroyed when it was clear the situation was akin to floating in a current of fecal matter without manual propulsion, and they were the only thing standing between the enemy and the rest running back to the dropship, I doubt the commander would dare suggest it was their fault and kick them permanently out of the cockpit. If they stumble upon a binary of Clan mechs gong ooops and shouting "This wasn't planned !" Then yes, the CO would probably make sure they get demoted to clearing latrines.

In my case it's a personal mech, that was lost in combat, the unit is obliged by contract to reimburse the pilot with all available means and they offer a new assault class mech to make up for it. It's not of the same quality as the original mech, so the mechwarrior, with help of the unit's techs upgrades it as I assume that any reasonably successful Assault mech pilot would make more than enough to be at least well-off and set aside some money as a contingency.

Compare it to medieval times where a warhorse, a full suit of armour and all the extra equipment cost the equivalent of a mid-sized house. Since there were plenty of knights, they would have made the money to maintain that kind of equipment. Knights often did ransom each other and most would have the means to start over should they have lost everything.

In the post 3050-universe, most units would probably invest in buying new/used mechs that are not frontline equipment, they would probably be used for training or be on stand-by to replace losses. Companies would have 2-3 spare mechs in most cases, regiments might have anything from one to two companies of reserves.

One of the units I created is a fairly large combined arms force of two mech regiments, several armour and infantry regiments, artillery, air and aerospace assets (no dropships or jumpships though) they even have training cadres, reserves, transportation, maintenance and supply, military police and a SWAT team. All this is supplemented by techs, drivers, accountants, cooks, janitors, doctors, teachers because all those thousands of servicemen and women have families and dependents who have to clothed, fed, housed ...

Any Merc unit would have three major positions at the top (be they handled by a single person or multiple ones) one being the military commander who does the fighting bit, the CEO who makes sure the unit makes the money to stay in business and the mayor who leads a large community of combatants and non-combatants alike up to the size of an entire city. So your C-Bills don't just go to paying the ammo and the maintenance of your mechs, you have to buy anything from food to prefab housing, and even diapers in case your employer left those bits out of the contract.

All of this is an IF kind of thing, IF they agreed to the mechwarriors' terms IF they have the ability and IF he is not a moron who can't understand one mechs isn't going to stop a Trinary etc...

ALL of it depends on the contract and what the unit can afford and the average, note what I said here, the average merc unit isn't going to reward stupidity like in the case of Jimbo mech. Sorry but they can't afford such things and would not be willing to do it if they could and most would toss the pilot out of their ranks.

On the side note, IF the players are running something a campy hack and slash style game then anything can happen, all depends on the GM, which was my point to Cray but it seems he missed it by telling us to check out IO. Which so far reads good but still need to see it in actual use long term. Lots of things in BT read well until folks start to use them...
Karagin

Karagin
12/29/13 12:01 PM

Quote:

If it doesn't show up in a rulebook, the video games don't count. (Ditto for cartoons and comics.)

Really Cray they don't count? Then explain a lot of the crap we have from the video games in the board/tabletop game to date? Binary Lasers etc...I would like to hear you explain how the video games etc...don't count when crap from it ends up in the main game, mechs included.
Karagin

CrayModerator
12/29/13 01:08 PM

Quote:
Playtesting is a good thing, as long as both the pro and con get noticed, something that seems lacking at times with TPTB...

And sharing wisdom like that is a good thing if it actually applies to the situation, rather than being based on entirely different situations.

Anyone curious to see how accurate Karagin is about the playtesting and writer feedback specific to the IntOps force creation and operation rules may use the link I gave earlier in this thread to review all the discussion surrounding playtesting. Questions were asked and answered, feedback given, changes made. Will the result make everyone happy? No. Will the result answer a lot of player requests about older force generation rules? That's your call.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/board,84.0.html

Quote:
Biggest issue many had with MW3 RPG was the pre-canned characters you got by rolling the life paths, and based on what I have seen those who loved it where the kind of players who use the archetypes for the character in any game they play verses using their own imagination etc...

MW3 was also noted by players for a slow-and-clunky combat system and a very slow character generation system (beyond lifepaths; determining skill values was also a slow process).

Edited by Cray (12/29/13 01:12 PM)
Karagin
12/29/13 01:25 PM

And again Cray each players group of events is going to be different so no chart or rule set will cover everything, which seems to be your stance here, that a rule set will cover everything related to a RPG secession with a force in BT cause the rule book offers something to explain things. Not all players follow the rules, seen many who use GURPS for the character creation part, or the rules for combat from another system or come up with their own, and that works for them, will it work for everyone else? I not so sure on that cause each group plays differently.
Karagin

ghostrider
12/29/13 02:47 PM

I would think that with all the tech they should have, an anti ship platform(s) would be the solution to invasions. Almost like the warships. If the enemy cannt reach the planet, their is no need for huge forces. Yes, you will need some incase they sneak in with hired dropships, but if you have them checked before they get into orbit, it eliminates alot of the issues.

I dont remember seeing rules on things like high concentration of metals that stop sensors from working. Might be I just missed this one. They used them in a few scenarios.

One thing i didnt really see is anything on using hardline video feeds or permanently mounted sensors that would allow indirect fire over hills. This might be covered by the idf rules of a mech using a second mech to spot. Interesting that type of link sounds close to a c3, but only works for idf.

As for another way for people to get mechs, something that happens even today. Millitary people sell they stuff they have. You can buy a tank and fix it to work properly. Yeah, you might have to fabricate some of the parts, but you can do it. More then a few retired ranking officers have illegal items in their houses that they took with them when they retired. Some sell the stuff to other people, or even have it stolen. Some criminal are better equipped then law enforcement in some areas.

Mercs today get some great equipment which is supposed to be illegal. In battle tech, it is not illegal to own most items.

But this is a game to have fun. Not worry about how technology can hit a target 30 light years away, but not hit some large object thats less then 30 meters away.

My limited understand of hpg is its a focused energy stream. The simple rotation of the planet the senders on would make it difficult to keep on target.
CrayModerator
12/30/13 08:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Really Cray they don't count? Then explain a lot of the crap we have from the video games in the board/tabletop game to date?

Hehe, wow. I'll rephrase my last statement:

"Nothing in video games is canon if it only appears in the video game. The only way an item from a BT video game becomes canon is to be published in a rulebook. Even then, the only canon aspect is what is in the rulebook; the video game version remains non-canon."

And I didn't write blazers based on a video game, but rather descriptions in old rulebooks (TR:3026, MW1) about the personal blazer rifles having trouble scaling up to 'Mech sizes. If blazers were in a video game, it wasn't one I played.

CrayModerator
12/30/13 08:52 PM

Quote:
And again Cray each players group of events is going to be different so no chart or rule set will cover everything, which seems to be your stance here, that a rule set will cover everything related to a RPG secession with a force in BT cause the rule book offers something to explain things. Not all players follow the rules, seen many who use GURPS for the character creation part, or the rules for combat from another system or come up with their own, and that works for them, will it work for everyone else? I not so sure on that cause each group plays differently.

The lack of specific objections to the draft rules or playtesting feedback in the above statement implies you still haven't downloaded the free, easily-accessed rules and read the playtesting feedback.

Edited by Cray (12/30/13 08:55 PM)
Karagin
12/31/13 12:35 AM

Actual Cray I have, stop assuming. Secondly I was stating my opinion on the matter as a whole in that each players group will have different outcomes and no one set of rules will cover everything.
Karagin

TigerShark
12/31/13 12:39 AM

lol
CrayModerator
12/31/13 08:54 AM

Quote:
Actual Cray I have, stop assuming.

Heh, being on the other side of assumptions isn't so amusing, is it?

Edited by Cray (12/31/13 09:09 AM)
Karagin
12/31/13 10:32 AM

Your point is there, but I am not seeing it.
Karagin

ghostrider
12/31/13 12:38 PM

Looks like karagin is saying that some things work in one game masters campaign that another wouldnt even think of allowing. This creates a major issue. There is no rules to say that you can allow/disallow things that you dont like in your campaign.

The stealth skill brought out in the kell hounds is a very good example. Its in a scenario module, so is canon. Having that in a campaign can be very disruptive.
Yes, it requires alot to get it, but what is to stop everyone from doing what the need to in order to get it?

The whole refusal war. That had a mechwarrior video game attached to it, and some of the stuff that happened in it, seems to have made it to canon status. So how do they figure whats canon and whats not? Not everyone is rich enough to continue to buy the new material as it comes out. That also applies to time and people going online to find it out.
It is a business, so i understand coming out with new material. Some of the stuff should not be scattered in different books, but combined into a single book like rules of war or whatever they want to call it. That should have all the updates needed, while the others are more story or better explains things.

And who decides what canon rules are used in tournaments? Why cannt you use any canon rules? I dont know if they allow custom mechs, but if they do, any mech made to fit the construction rules should be allowed. Otherwise it looks alot like discrimination.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 221 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 31691

Contact Admins Sarna.net