my point of view

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Acolyte
10/11/02 05:40 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'll keep playing real BattleTech, too. I'll also keep playing real MechWarrior. The RPG, not the new rules set. Between people like us, BattleTech will not die. Ever. Whatever new rule sets or silly things they do to the universe. Hell, I'm using CyberPunk rules to run a Hero's game right now!

Rules and universe are separate things. If you wanted to, you could play a 3025 game with MageTech. I won't. But I might play a MWDA game with Classic rules. I might like the universe, who knows. But unless MageTech gets some big changes, I won't use the system.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Bob_Richter
10/12/02 02:22 AM

>>>Oh, and you were doing so well there. But clearly, MWDA is not Battletech. They may share some aspects (Big Robots Fight) but MWDA is not Battletech. If it were, then why have they made the new Overpriced Cheapo Plastic Posable Dolls in the wrong scale? Why have those silly dials at the bottom? Why use different rules?<<<

In case you missed it, Battletech games have been being used for years that did not use the familiar hexmaps, dice, and/or metallic minatures (Battletech itself doesn't even do THAT by default. Which is cheaper, plastic minis or cardboard counters?) Each of these auxillary Battletech games has had its own set of rules, and each has (indeed) used a different representational scale. Yet each was Battletech. In what way does MWDA differ?

>>>I DON'T like it.<<<

Your business. Doesn't change a thing.

>>>but with the destruction of everything Battletech related in the New Mage Tech Fantasy Story line, it's most decidedly not Battletech any more.<<<

Yes it is. Nothing about the change in company or product name makes this different than the release of the 20-year update, or the coming of the Clans. It IS the same universe, and this IS its future.

And no amount of mindless rhetoric from you will change that.

>>>And until Battletech ceases to exist (which it will, a demise hastened by this new overpriced cheapo plastic posable action figure farce), Battletech will be Battletech...MechWarrior will be a joke of an overpriced "collectible" "game".<<<

Battletech has been given a new lease on life by WizKids and their "cheapo plastic posable action figure farce." It will not die, though it almost did. You should be thanking WizKids, not cursing them. Battletech is Battletech. As is Battletech. And Mechwarrior. And Mechwarrior. And Mechwarrior. And Mechwarrior. And Mechwarrior. And Mechwarrior. And Mechwarrior. And Mechwarrior. And Mechcommander. And Mechcommander. And Aerotech. And Battlespace. And Aerotech. And Battleforce. And Battleforce. And BattleTroops. And Clantroops.

Anyway. Enough. You get the point, and if you don't, there simply isn't any point in continuing this conversation.

>>>And yes, this Overpriced Cheapo Plastic Posable Dolls in a rip-off "collectible" scheme will be the death of real Battletech...<<<

>>>you're too busy playing with your plastic dolls. Well, have fun, in your new Magetech Fantasy Story Line.<<<

From such ridiculous assumptions do your errors arise.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
realworldviews
10/13/02 02:05 AM

That's alright, I never really use those types of rules, but if I ever do I'll give you an email, and ask you for them.
But thanks for the offer.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
Rockdaddy
11/19/02 03:55 AM

I just wonder how much TPTB are concerned. I mean all over the place people are saying "no, this is too much and I won't be supporting the official timeline any longer" and it really isn't a few people but so many. Are they thinking that maybe they made a mistake and will be losing players, or are they counting on the faithful just blindly buying products?

Personally I won't be going along with the Jihad and beyond. I've suspended too much belief to even get to the end of the Civil War and the Jihad, Republic, King Arthur...I mean Devlin Stone are just too much for me. I know TPTB keep saying "Trust us, it'll be great" but I've seen how it turns out and I have no desire to play in that universe. And I won't be buying the products for it either.

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Rockdaddy
11/19/02 04:25 AM

But the question is how much of the Jihad was planned by FASA is actually going to be used and how much is being rewritten to fit in with the WizKids universe?

Did FASA intend for Wolf's Dragoons and Outreach to be nuked (along with a bunch of other places)? Did FASA intend for this and that to happen, or did they want something else and WizKids/FanPro had to change the plans inorder to make it fit in with the formation of the Republic/Devlin Stone and all the rest of the MWDA history?

Too much of what we know about the Jihad is just too contrived to make sure the 3065+ universe flows directly into 3130.
All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
MacLeod
11/24/02 12:21 AM

I really don't care one way or another. BT is only what you decide to make it. Besides - I'm currently broke, and with the holidays coming up, I'll have no cash to spend on BT or MWDA stuff. It looks like I'll just be going with a half-dozen unbuilt miniatures and a bunch of books that are falling apart for another six months...
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Vapor
11/24/02 03:16 AM

Personally, I'm disappointed with Wizkids. I was under the impression that when FASA gave them the rights to BT and MW, that they would continue to produce FASA quality material. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. If they are using MWDA to target younger kids and get them into BT/MW, I applaud their effort, however, I would really like to see them provide something more along the lines of what FASA produced as well.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
3 registered and 163 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 13852

Contact Admins Sarna.net