Dungeons and DRG-1Ns Third Edition

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Bob_Richter
12/04/01 03:54 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
>>>A Morningstar is a club with spikes in the business end.<<<

Odd. I am unaware of this usage.

I've often seen "morningstar" incorrectly used to refer to a simple spiked mace (usually in DnD manuals.) But I've never heard it used to refer to a simple club with spikes. (Board with nails, anyone?)
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Nightward
12/04/01 06:22 PM

Masterforged Katanas (Masamune etc) are *NOT* forged in tow parts. It's all 'Watered Steel'. What they do is pound it and fold it over something like 200 times (I forget the actual number). Any less and you do not get the correct crystilline matrix, and it will be too soft; any more and you make the blade too brittle.

It is then heated white hot and the edge is quenched in water. You get what is effectively plasma roiling along the blade, which sets the crystalline matrix and allows the Katana to hold its edge. The rest of the sword is softer because it has not been 'plasma'd. This allows the rest of the blade to have a little bit of give, so it will not break, but the leading edge will cut through anything.

The traditional Samurai armour is made from woven straw plated with laquered Bamboo. It will do precisely squat to stop bullets, but considering the fact that nobody in fuedal age Japan had an arquebus, that is not really too much of a problem :). It did kinda screw them over when they ran into the British (who did have firearms).

I majored in Asian Military/Feudal History in my Junior years at High School. I don't remember much of it (mostly because I studied it four years ago and have not kept up).

That is why I know so much useless crud. My teacher (hats off, Mr. Usher) was very big on weapons forging. We spent a week on Katana forging and what it meant to own or wear one.

I also studied Japanese (the language) for seven years. You tend to pick up all kinds of useless knowledge through that.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Nightmare
12/06/01 12:42 AM

OK on masterwork katanas then, I just remembered the
watermark on the blade has to do with the border between
edge and back.
But what time period do you mean by Feudal Japan? Tokugawa didn`t become Shogun by leaving guns out of
the conflict, he was one of the really practical Daimyo.
Slaughtering almost the entire Takeda cavalry with some
luck and skillful use of musketeers kinda suggests they
had firearms :) Although the purges of outlander ideas
after Tokugawa came to power may also have included
collecting and destroying guns? They stamped out Christianity efficiently enough, so why not go back to
traditional warfare too? If you don`t need metal armor you
aren`t going to use any are you?
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Bob_Richter
12/06/01 03:27 PM

>>>Criticals based on Margin Of Success. Normal critical on MOS of 20, 19-20 crit on MOS of 18, 18-20
crit on MOS of 16 and so on. Alternatively, you could just add MOS to damage... that could get lethal
in some cases. <<<

Um. This makes crits too difficult, IMHO. If I'm a 0-bonus foo whacking away at some thoroughly average person without armor, it's impossible for me to crit 'em.

Try taking 10 off your numbers.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Nightward
12/06/01 05:36 PM

This was AD&D 2nd Ed, and they are in the Monstrous Manual. I forget whether they were Shadow or Night or something else, but that was their 'element', as it were. We were using the Critical Hits charts from one of the PLayer's Option Books. It might have been Skills&Powers, but I forget now.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Nightward
12/06/01 05:44 PM

No, no, no. 'Watered Steel' is the name given to the effect you get as light shines off of 'ripples' along the blade. These 'ripples' are caused by the folding proccess.

As I said in my earlier post, if you are not facing firearms, you do not need metal armour, not that metal armour whould have done much to stop a muket ball anyway.

I meant 'Feudal' Japan. Like before Westernization. We did not go into too much depths of Shogunate or Imperial Dynasties at HS, so I refer to anything before Westernisation as 'Feudal-Era'. Basically, if they did not have guns, it was Feudal :)
Karagin
12/06/01 07:08 PM

I think you should play HACKMASTER instead, you would love it...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Nightmare
12/07/01 12:52 AM

<<<No, no, no. 'Watered Steel' is the name given to the effect you get as light shines off of 'ripples' along the blade. These 'ripples' are caused by the folding proccess. <<<
OK then. What do you call the line that is often seen running
from tip to base on a katana? It is usually wave-like.

<<<As I said in my earlier post, if you are not facing firearms, you do not need metal armour, not that metal armour whould have done much to stop a muket ball anyway.<<<
Oh, it stops musket balls all right. The Japanese smiths even shot at their armors to prove their effectiveness to potential
customers. The one I had a link to earlier had those marks
in several places. Problem starts when the guns become better, then you need thicker armor and at some point it`s
no longer possible to carry it. That`s why Western armor
slowly dropped off until only the breastplate was left.

<<<I meant 'Feudal' Japan. Like before Westernization. We did not go into too much depths of Shogunate or Imperial Dynasties at HS, so I refer to anything before Westernisation as 'Feudal-Era'. Basically, if they did not have guns, it was Feudal :) <<<
Ah, I see. Personally I think the wars of the 15th and 16th
centuries are the most interesting. Shows you people like
the bad news better as long as it`s from somewhere else :)
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Karagin
12/07/01 12:54 AM

Check your local gaming store or one of the one line companis or try looking around on http://www.kenzerco.com

They make it so you can probaly order it from them...and the link does work and the info is on there...

I have all the books that are out to date and it rocks! Tally hO!
Karagin

Anson
12/07/01 11:52 AM

Bob should be able to find a copy over here in Moscow if he were so inclined... In fact I was thinking about running a Hackmaster campaign after they get the Gamemaster's Guide in over here.

Anson
LHJ
Nightward
12/07/01 06:11 PM

That is the effect produced when the blade is sharpened. Since the blade itself has those 'ripples' I mentioned earlier, they decided to continue the effect with the edge. I think my AHS teacher mentioned it also had something to do with stopping the sword getting stuck by a vacuum, rather like the channels found in Medieval swords.
Acolyte
12/07/01 07:54 PM

Actually, the edge effect is produced when the blade is tempered. Clay is put on the blade (with the thumb and forefinger - ever wonder why the watering is that size? ), which makes the blade cool down more slowly when put into the brine.

The fuller - or blood grove - actually was not to prevent suction. It was included to lighten the blade and strengthen it at the same time. The cross section of that part of the blade is rather like an "I" beam used in construction.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Bob_Richter
12/07/01 09:06 PM

You know...I've been meaning to call you...

I've just been far too damned busy to actually do any gaming.

Maybe this weekend?

ErichRaulfestone
12/10/01 07:21 PM

Ahh, yes i remember also the 2nd ED one very well...I have it. Nice piece of work!!!! :)
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
ErichRaulfestone
12/10/01 07:44 PM

This should help i hope......

http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/niku.htm
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"

......and I went......
SSFSX17
12/10/01 11:45 PM

This game appears to be some kind of game that Loonies play. Either that, or something that pokes fun at D&D. The example of gameplay didn't remind me of anything that wasn't already found in D&D.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Nightmare
12/11/01 03:34 AM

Hackmaster as in the game they play in a cartoon
appearing in Dragon Magazine. Try to find some
copies of it and check them out. Many gamers
buy or even order the magazine, shouldn`t be
very difficult to find.
Nightmare
12/11/01 03:45 AM

Thanks Erich! It`s the kind of article you don`t find first
in a search, I`d imagine. Takes some interest to really
start studying the terminology used to describe it all.
Karagin
12/11/01 02:03 PM

The link I gave gives all of the info needed for the Knights of the Dinner table.
Karagin

Karagin
12/11/01 02:06 PM

And could you tell where I said it was better then D&D?

I offered it to Bob since he is having trouble with D&D, hence he would have more fun in Hackmaster.

And yes the game is poking fun at D&D and the type of folks who spend all their time playing in search of super weapons and lots of gold, hacking their way through whole nations just to get XPs so they can advance in level and at the DMs who let them get away with it...and sometimes hackmaster style can be fun...but 99% of the time it is not.

So based on your statements you seem to not like it, so that is cool, maybe Bob will.
Karagin

ErichRaulfestone
12/12/01 07:45 PM

SA'RIGHT !!! :) You would not believe the intrest I DO have.......
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!

......and I went......
Bob_Richter
12/12/01 08:41 PM

Still needs some fleshing out, but...

Fathom Unfathomable:

For one full round, the target (which can be any intelligent being) can understand and answer any single normally unfathomable question. After the round expires, the answer will fade from memory, and even if it was uttered, noone not under the influence of this spell could understand it (the answers to unfathomable questions are invariably unfathomable themselves.)

KhanJackalMoreau
12/13/01 12:11 AM

*zot*

Take that, and another!
Now more than ever. (c)
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 36207

Contact Admins Sarna.net