Whats your favourite clan, great house, etc.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Thor_Mech
09/07/04 02:01 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hmmm... wow... my first BT book was the Blood of Kerensky trilogy.
Great House: Fed Sun or Fed Com
Merc Unit: Wolf's Dragoons or the Eridani Light Horse
Clan: Wolf
Periphery Nation: Don't know much about them...
On a side note, I like ComStar.
(And I also don't like Katherine/Lyran Alliance)
"Even after all these years, walking through the ranks of 'Mechs still gives me the chills"
- Intelligence Secretary Justin Xiang Allard
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
UncaRat
12/03/04 10:42 PM

I've been giving Radick's coment on fighting style some thought. Other than the occasional 'Oh my G-D how did that happen?' day I usualy try to prolong a fight and maneuver to concetrate fire on the enemies strongest units to wear them down.
;-) I once fought a lance level fight to 22 turns, however this isn't for the faint of heart! The game lasted for three days, total about 20 hours of play. :-P
But with one mech standing we won!
And the year was 3029. Draconus Combine 4 mechs 280 tons Vrs 5 merc mechs 255 tons.
The last mech standing was a Shadow Hawk with large laser instead of AC.
Well it had one fused actuater (?) and only one arm, but it was standing.
Sesshomeru
01/05/05 06:25 PM

Hmm I never read the books but have played over half the games still trying to get the rest.
Fave House: Draconis Combine or Fed Com(like Davion more than Lyran but like em both)
Fave Clan: Clan Wolf(though I think they could have made a better banner)
Periphery Nation: Oberon Confederattion (only one I can remeber)
With each kill I grow wiser and with that knowledge I grow stronger.
-Artemis Entreri
MatthewAce
01/09/05 11:00 PM

I don't really care about clans...
Fave House: FedSun for its rights, love for AC, and some small stuff, while i love Lyran for Heavy Gausses and Fafnirs.
Urbies are good.
Silenced_Sonix
01/11/05 05:28 PM

Fave Clan: Smoke Jaguar (they have this odd way of reminding me off the Nazis - I dunno why, but they just do) and Diamond Shark/Sea Fox (because they had the savvy to do what everyone has been waiting for so long - selling Clan-tech to the Inner Sphere).
Evolve or Die
TheCrusader
02/08/05 11:20 AM

geez, lets see my favorite clan has to be Ghost Bear. I guess I like the Warden idea, and they are some pretty staunch wardens. My fav house has to be Free Worlds Leauge. Mainly because of the Thera Class Carrier(Bigger than even the Texas or Mckenna!) and that they resemble a screwy feudal system. Kinda like medivel france.Dont know much about any of the Periphery States, But I'll Put comstar in there instead. I just like the Mechs and unit organization. By fav mercs are the Kell Hounds.
JStallion
02/08/05 07:07 PM

Quote:

Second would have to be Clan Star Adder because by numbers of clusters they are largest clan force beacuse of the absorption of clan burrock and second largest fleet next to Clan snow raven.

Where'd you get that info from? According to the field manuals Ghost Bear is the biggest; 58 clusters, 2nd is Star Adder with 52, 3rd is Jade Falcon with 49, and 4th is Steel Viper with 45.
UncaRat
02/19/05 11:24 AM

Ghost Bears --- 58 Clusters
Star Adders --- 52 Clusters
Jade Falcon --- 49 Clusters
Steel Viper --- 45 Clusters

OK but how many are first line units and how many Garrison units.
For me that would make a difference, any data on that?
Nightward
02/19/05 06:13 PM

Clans typically only feature three Front-Line galaxies, so usually between 12 and 20.

I believe that the Bears feature 6-trinary Clusters, with 6 Clusters to a Galaxy. They have four or five front-line Galaxies.

The numbers in the GB's Touman is utter bullshit. They field almost entirely heavy and assualt 'Mechs...yet manage to do so in those numbers.

Can we say "Author's Favourite", kiddies?
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Brandx0
02/20/05 04:47 PM

Because... we know that BT is DEVOID of such things...
JStallion
02/20/05 10:19 PM

Quote:

Clan Wolf is still by far the most favored clan
Nightward
02/21/05 06:24 PM

Um...yeah.

Yeah, the Wolves, who had one of their most elite Clusters smoked by a trinary of newbie Bears in "Roar of Honour."

The Wolves, who were nerfed in the Refusal War "patch" (whilst the Falcons were not).

The Wolves, who now field just 6 Galaxies.

The Wolves, who deploy almost entirely second-line machines, even in their front-line Clusters.

Yep, you're right. All the hallmarks of favouritism, right there...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
02/22/05 01:08 AM

Back in the days when they were not nerfed:

1 Trinary of ELITE Nagas. They were the most dezgra mechs for a clanner to pilot but no they had to have all elites in them.

Plus you would think after being belted about both Wolf and Falcon would be mostly paper mache units anyway...
Greyslayer
02/22/05 01:12 AM

Quote:

*coughs* Jade falcon and Liao */cough*
Nightward
02/22/05 06:14 PM

It was never really clear if those unit listings were IS Elite, or Clan Elite. If it was the former, I'm not surprised they were classed as Elite- those Nagas would have been piloted by the very best Solhama warriors in the Clan. 3/4 skills wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

The Wolves were a favoured species when Stackpole wrote about them in the Blood of Kerensky series. I guess FASA decided they were too good and needed to be balanced, except that the Falcons only got better and the Wolves now would be lucky to take on the Ice Hellions and win.

The Bears are now a favoured affiliation. Back in Blood of Kerensky, they were made to be at least as brutal as the Jaguars, yet just five years later, they are all happy space communists.

It doesn't jive.
Greyslayer
02/23/05 01:59 AM

Those Nagas were 1/2.... go figure.

It went Wolves as the favs early on then Jade Falcons, they (the Falcons) never really left the top two perch after that despite the position the writers kept putting them in (and then magically getting out of). It very much reminded me of arguments little kiddies would get into, or if you remember it a really bad episode of Voltron (possibly a bad episode of Power Rangers but I wouldn't know).

You shouldn't be talking clan rubbish only 3 days out from a 3025 tourney anyway
Nightward
02/23/05 03:23 AM

The Wolf Clan Sourcebook just says "Elite".

Says that about a lot of Wolf Clan pilots, though

The Wolves got nerfed in the patch, then they nerfed the Jags. The Falcons are loooong overdue for a good nerfing, but it won't happen any time soon.

Blarg.

Meanwhile, I'm right to roll for the tournament. Hehehe...
JStallion
02/27/05 12:11 AM

Quote:

Um...yeah.

Yeah, the Wolves, who had one of their most elite Clusters smoked by a trinary of newbie Bears in "Roar of Honour."

The Wolves, who were nerfed in the Refusal War "patch" (whilst the Falcons were not).

The Wolves, who now field just 6 Galaxies.

The Wolves, who deploy almost entirely second-line machines, even in their front-line Clusters.

Yep, you're right. All the hallmarks of favouritism, right there...

The Wolves, who get Kerensky's genes.

The Wolves, who made Wolf's Dragoons, another famous and well favored unit.

The Wolves, who conquer the most during the invasion.

The Wolves, who do the best on Tukayid.

The Wolves, who field just 6 galaxies yet are can hold their own against opposition obviously because they can maintain such a large holding with so few units.

The Wolves, who are still able to invade the Inner Sphere while the other clans are not due to abstaining votes.

The Wolves, who probably have had the greatest effect on the Inner Sphere/Kerensky cluster of all the clans. Conquering the most, Wolf's Dragoons by themselves, Ulric's Tukayid deal which affected everyone, Wolf-In-Exile now aiding the I.S., absorbing Clan Widowmaker and annhiliating Clan Wolverine, etc. etc.

The "refusal war" patch" only set the wolves so much further behind the Falcons because of how the fluff has the Falcon's strategy laid out. Sending lots of 2nd line units into the path of the wolf spearhead and using attrition to weaken them before Falcon line units could finish them off.....Either way the harvest trials helped out both clans.

When I had said author's favorite I meant they are the most talked about and set in the "good guy" role more than other clans are. The falcons are shun nearly as much as they are praised, Ghost Bears are heavily favored units-wise and all but not so much in novels, Smoke Jaguars were never really praised in any novels, Nova Cats are iffy because of their decisions you can either like or dislike them, Steel Vipers and Hell's Horses were never really seen as "good guys" either.
Nightward
02/27/05 06:04 AM

The Wolves, who earned Kerensky's genes.

The Wolves, who were kept small throughout history because of ongoing trials for possession of Kerensky's genes.

The Wolves, who are seasoned quickly by such trials.

The Wolves, who faced slightly weaker opposition but learned nd adapted to enemy tactics.

And who provided the same data to everyone else but were ignored.

Etc etc etc.

The Wolves were a favoured affiliation up until Malicious Intent. After that, they kept getting screwed over. Read "Roar of Honour". The Ghost Bears halved the Wolves' Occupation Zone in that novel, "because".

The Wolves, who will be opposed by ComStar, the FRR, and the Ghost Bear Dominion if they did decide to continue the invasion. IMO, Vlad just sounded off about that as a political manouvre. He's nobody's fool.

It sounds like you may not have the full story on the Wolves. Believe me, they are now screwed.
JStallion
02/27/05 12:27 PM

Screwed or not, that isn't the debate. They have still been heavily favored compared to other clans in terms of popularity with novels and such. Being an "author's favorite" because so much happens thats related to Clan Wolf. You don't see other clans getting nearly as much attention as they do.
Nightward
02/28/05 02:38 AM

No, not at all.

They've never written books just about the Ghost Bears, or just about the Steel Vipers, or just about the Smoke Jaguars, or just about the Jade Falcons, or just about the Nova Cats.

Oh, wait.

In the present, whenever the Wolves are written about, it is only in passing, and they always loose. I fail to see what your point is.
JStallion
02/28/05 10:27 PM

Quote:

They've never written books just about the Ghost Bears, or just about the Steel Vipers, or just about the Smoke Jaguars, or just about the Jade Falcons, or just about the Nova Cats.

I never said JUST the wolves. Every Clan you listed has been in novels, not always depicting them in a favorable role. The wolves get more publicity than any other clan and that publicity is, far more often than not, good publicity.

Quote:

In the present, whenever the Wolves are written about, it is only in passing, and they always loose. I fail to see what your point is.

No one said in the present. And they don't always LOSE (not loose) even with Vlad being able to take Katrina in one of the last novels ever made he won because Victor and the rest of them couldn't do anything to keep him from taking her.

The point is, as perviously stated- "The wolves get more publicity than any other clan and that publicity is, far more often than not, good publicity."
Nightward
02/28/05 11:44 PM

Hmm. Let's see about that.

Clan Wolf: Blood of Kerensky, Natural Selection, Malicious Intent, a bit in Twighlight of the Clans.

Jade Falcon: Jade Phoenix Trilogy, I Am Jade Falcon, two books from Twighlight of the Clans, a fair bit in the FedCom Civil War (esp. Operation Audacity), etc etc etc.

Hmm. Who has more books written about them?

JStallion, come back when you can actually present an argument. The Jade Falcons have had more books dedicated to them than any other Clan and have appeared as minor players in many more.

The Wolves have not had a single novel solely dedicated to them.
Greyslayer
03/01/05 04:37 PM

Quote:

The Wolves have not had a single novel solely dedicated to them.

and lets not forget the *ahem* 'Cartoon'. Who was in that again? Oh yes the Lime Green Curried Chickens .
Nightward
03/01/05 05:02 PM

Yeah, well. Logic isn't exactly a commodity this thread overflows with...
JStallion
03/01/05 06:58 PM

Quote:

Clan Wolf: Blood of Kerensky, Natural Selection, Malicious Intent, a bit in Twighlight of the Clans.

Read what I say before you TRY and make an arguement against it. As I said before, Wolf's Dragoons and Wolf-In-Exile are both apart of the overall Wolf Clan publicity.

Quote:

Hmm. Who has more books written about them?

If only naming off who has more books about them is your only arguement, try and make it an arguement against everything I said instead of cherry-picking it. Include all the books about Wolf's Dragoons as well. As much as I don't like MWDA, look who aomong the clans they featured the most of in their begining novels? decendents of the wolves. Plus there are other things I named off you can't seem to address.

I really don't care what you have to say in return, it is obvious the Wolves are the most popular.

You and greyslayer are in almost every arguement on here trying to prove things the way you see them when its pointless to even do so, you also try and U.S. bash in other threads when no one from the U.S. cares what you have to say. I really don't get why you guys argue about everything, if someone says something or has an oppinion you don't like, why do you feel you're obligated to add your input.
Wraith
03/01/05 07:11 PM

While Wolf's Dragoons came from Clan Wolf, I really don't think a book about them is really publicity for Clan Wolf. How many casual BT readers would even know that WD came from CW? That's like saying that any book about the US is publicity for England, since the US once was a colony.
-Wraith
Greyslayer
03/01/05 08:11 PM

Quote:

Read what I say before you TRY and make an arguement against it. As I said before, Wolf's Dragoons and Wolf-In-Exile are both apart of the overall Wolf Clan publicity.

While I would agree that WIE would be a part of the Wolf Clan (basically being the ying/yang of the same clan situation) I would say that something as foreign to the clans as a merc unit can no longer be really considered part of wolf clan.

Quote:

If only naming off who has more books about them is your only arguement, try and make it an arguement against everything I said instead of cherry-picking it. Include all the books about Wolf's Dragoons as well. As much as I don't like MWDA, look who aomong the clans they featured the most of in their begining novels? decendents of the wolves. Plus there are other things I named off you can't seem to address.

Ewww , stooping to using MW:DA in an argument, certainly fighting from the back foot ;P. Books may not need to be novels, source books involving Jade Falcons primarily would probably outnumber source books involving Wolves primarily (if you get past your infatuation as claiming Wolf Dragoons as clan Wolf that is).

Quote:

I really don't care what you have to say in return, it is obvious the Wolves are the most popular.

Obvious to whom? There are three frontline clans: Wolf, Falcon and Ghost Bear. Many could argue any of them are the actual favourites with specific examples ie those Mechwarrior novels had a few involving Ghost Bear. Meanwhile Jade Falcon featured in nearly every single sourcebook several years back up until about operation Bulldog.

Quote:

You and greyslayer are in almost every arguement on here trying to prove things the way you see them

So you are saying in a discussion forum things cannot be discussed? What a novel concept *lol*

Quote:

you also try and U.S. bash in other threads when no one from the U.S. cares what you have to say.

As if anyone would want to hear negative comments to go against the propaganda, but to the crux here. Generally I respond to a mistaken belief or poorly used example. For example having real live recon experience may not help you in a game of battletech the systems are ver 'foreign' to each other.... so the use of that example could be attacked on that basis.

Quote:

I really don't get why you guys argue about everything, if someone says something or has an oppinion you don't like, why do you feel you're obligated to add your input.

Because *duh* this is a forum, a place used to discuss ideas, ask questions and to give answers. Its not that hard even for a clan 'fanboy' . If you do not like reading posts like this then all I can say is to IGNORE them, don't respond, we are not here simply for YOUR viewing pleasure.
JStallion
03/01/05 08:53 PM

Quote:

While I would agree that WIE would be a part of the Wolf Clan (basically being the ying/yang of the same clan situation) I would say that something as foreign to the clans as a merc unit can no longer be really considered part of wolf clan.

I wasn't trying to say that they are considered part of them, but because they came from the wolves, not any other clan, that they are linked to clan wolf and that furthers how clan wolf is favored a lot in addition to other things i mentioned.

Quote:

Ewww , stooping to using MW:DA in an argument, certainly fighting from the back foot ;P. Books may not need to be novels, source books involving Jade Falcons primarily would probably outnumber source books involving Wolves primarily (if you get past your infatuation as claiming Wolf Dragoons as clan Wolf that is).

Yeah I know the MWDA was a bit extreme, sorry about that one , but it all goes towards the same point.

Quote:

Obvious to whom? There are three frontline clans: Wolf, Falcon and Ghost Bear. Many could argue any of them are the actual favourites with specific examples ie those Mechwarrior novels had a few involving Ghost Bear. Meanwhile Jade Falcon featured in nearly every single sourcebook several years back up until about operation Bulldog.

Obvious to anyone who knows what they're talking about and doesn't argue over it just to argue.

Key word there about the Ghost Bears is they had a FEW novels, not much more than a handful if even that.

How did Jade Falcon feature in "nearly every single" sourcebook? They had their sourcebook, the wolves had theirs, there was the invading clans one, crusader clans field manual and a couple others. I really don't see the Falcons favored anymore than another clan in those.

Quote:

So you are saying in a discussion forum things cannot be discussed? What a novel concept *lol*

Discussing and arguing about everything are different, maybe....just maybe one day you'll realize that.

Quote:

As if anyone would want to hear negative comments to go against the propaganda, but to the crux here. Generally I respond to a mistaken belief or poorly used example. For example having real live recon experience may not help you in a game of battletech the systems are ver 'foreign' to each other.... so the use of that example could be attacked on that basis.

I think you're trying to go back to that protomech arguement with that one, if not then I'm not sure which you're refering to. But on that subject if someone prefers battle armor over protomechs and can probably use them with better tactics (more with familiarity there) than they could with protomechs, whats the harm done? Theres no reason to call someone wrong for a preference on things. You might as well argue about light mechs vs medium mechs as to which is a better scout instead of proto vs battle armor. There can always be arguements for either but preference is preference and it would be pointless to argue against someone who likes to do things a certain way when they might do it just as effective.

About real life experience- I wouldn't argue about that because I agree with that one, a game is a game, and real life is far different from this abstract version of it.

Quote:

Because *duh* this is a forum, a place used to discuss ideas, ask questions and to give answers.

Again, discussing and arguing are different. you guys often argue with people and team up to attack them because you know each other in life (not saying its planned, but its usually 2v1 in every arguement, such as you coming in on this one when you weren't involved to begin with).

Quote:

Its not that hard even for a clan 'fanboy' .

When you assume things you only make an ASSofUandME....ASS-U-ME, hopefully your brain will work overtime and can catch that one. Federated Suns are my favorite fluff-wise but I still appreciate how much the clans added to Battletech.

Quote:

If you do not like reading posts like this then all I can say is to IGNORE them, don't respond, we are not here simply for YOUR viewing pleasure.

LMAO, take your own advice. If you dont like someone's oppinion it doesn't mean for you to comment on it all the time or put in your own input. IGNORE them, don't respond, posts and oppinions are not simply here for YOUR arguementative personality.
Greyslayer
03/01/05 09:46 PM

Quote:

How did Jade Falcon feature in "nearly every single" sourcebook? They had their sourcebook, the wolves had theirs, there was the invading clans one, crusader clans field manual and a couple others. I really don't see the Falcons favored anymore than another clan in those.

Basically ones like Coventry, *cringe* Sommerset Strikers, etc...

Quote:

Discussing and arguing about everything are different, maybe....just maybe one day you'll realize that.

As such my arguing is only your opinion, which like everything else may only be relevant to yourself. Much like I realise mine is.

Quote:

I think you're trying to go back to that protomech arguement with that one,

It was a familiar base to use but I didn't want to directly refer to the discussion itself.

Quote:

Theres no reason to call someone wrong for a preference on things.

If someone goes 'I am completely right' yet can be shown to be wrong then you can always call them wrong. Its not a matter of preference but whether the correct information is being presented, ie if you look when I first jumped into this part of the thread I really was attacking Wolves for their dodgey setup with Nagas.

I personally thought they should've been 'nerfed' on that alone, nor am I upset that they were 'nerfed'. This brings me into direct conflict with Nightward rather than what you have been saying.

Quote:

There can always be arguements for either but preference is preference and it would be pointless to argue against someone who likes to do things a certain way when they might do it just as effective.

This is true provided they do not completely misrepresent the facts to do so, rather than attack the preference I prefer to attack the validity of their representation. If for example you prefer the LRM10 over the LRM5 then that is fine but if you were to say it is at least twice as good then obviously prepare for a nuking

Quote:

About real life experience- I wouldn't argue about that because I agree with that one, a game is a game, and real life is far different from this abstract version of it.

Being a grunt doesn't make you Rommel as they say

Quote:

Again, discussing and arguing are different. you guys often argue with people and team up to attack them because you know each other in life (not saying its planned, but its usually 2v1 in every arguement, such as you coming in on this one when you weren't involved to begin with).

When I first met nightward you couldn't pry Mad Cats from his fingers, nowadays he at least has broadened his horizons and even likes Shadowhawks . When we join forces as such there might be, as you said, an anti-american path to this, usually due to someone wrongly posting certain pro-american stuff which we knew to be false or trying to bring american stuff into the battletech world which we both agree is not the same place as the real world.

Also if the argument was solely between yourself and nightward then myself nor anyone else would see it since you guys would've taken it to private messages.

Quote:

When you assume things you only make an ASSofUandME....ASS-U-ME, hopefully your brain will work overtime and can catch that one. Federated Suns are my favorite fluff-wise but I still appreciate how much the clans added to Battletech.

What you say you post and what has been posted though are two totally different things, most of your posts that I have come across seemed to be clan orientated, I personally don't have a problem with this and if anyone labelled me a 3025 fanboy I wouldn't take offence anyway, and while you say the clans added I say the clans took away .

Quote:

LMAO, take your own advice. If you dont like someone's oppinion it doesn't mean for you to comment on it all the time or put in your own input. IGNORE them, don't respond, posts and oppinions are not simply here for YOUR arguementative personality.

In fact they can be , but if we look at this example of this sub-thread I posted a couple against Wolves, one for Wolves and one joke post about the 'cartoon' which was supporting my beef with Jade Falcon writers. Suddenly I am 'supporting' Nightward and forcing our opinion on people when all I am showing is that there are alternatives to the views present ie that Jade Falcons did have alot of literature published etc.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 71180

Contact Admins Sarna.net