Whats your favourite clan, great house, etc.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Nightward
03/02/05 03:09 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Seriously, JS. If you look at the numbers, the Jade Falcons have had far and away more novels and sourcebooks written about them (or at the least featuring them) than do the Wolves.

In fact, that Wolves have never even had a novel solely devoted to them and them alone, whilst the Falcons have had several.

The Wolves, Ghost Bears, and Smoke Jaguars all have a similar amount of material written about them.

Clan Ghost Bear has clearly been a favoured species of late, also. Their Clan is suddenly the largest and most powerful, managed to HALVE the Wolf Clan's occupation zone, and has only been strengthened (instead of weakened) by leaving the Homeworlds. This is to say nothing of the fact that the Bears now enfold the FRR, being happy Norse space communists.

When the Bears were first written about, they were the second most brutal of the Clans, willing to bomb cities into rubble and slaughter civilians to get their way. They were the second harshest on their civilians. And yet, a few novels later, the Bears have revolutionised themselves and become Assualt-Mech piloting, serene Mother Theresa warriors beloved by their civilian castes.

What?

And Scott? You can pry my Timber Wolfs from my cold, dead hands
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
The_Gangster_of_Boats
03/03/05 02:10 AM

I'm a Steel Viper nut. Been doing the Khan thing with my gaming group.
Don't run, you'll just die tired.
Thor_Mech
03/03/05 11:57 PM

Hmmm. Early on, I think the Wolves definately had an edge in terms of familiarity. After all, the entire Blood of Kerensky trilogy featured the Wolves, and a large number of "famous" characters are in fact Wolves. (Natasha Kerensky, Phelan Ward, etc.) However, there seems to be a recent trend to try and "fluff" out some of the other Clans. Some Clans still are hidden in the mists of obscurity, with no major novel on them, but Clans like Steel Viper, Ghost Bear, Jade Falcon are getting a bit more limelight. Anyhow, that's my 2 C-Bills worth.

P.S. Likewise, I think they're doing the same thing with the Inner Sphere, or at least they were before this entire God-forsaken Hell-hole known as MW:DA. CapCon was no longer a poor weakened shell in the fight vs. St. Ives and Dagger Point. Marik was no longer the wallflower due to the Knights of the Inner Sphere and novels like Star Lord. Rasalhauge seems to have fallen off the face of the map... but I ramble.
"Even after all these years, walking through the ranks of 'Mechs still gives me the chills"
- Intelligence Secretary Justin Xiang Allard
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
Nightward
03/04/05 05:54 AM

Problem, IMO, is speed. The CapCon amazingly managed to grow by a number of regiments (and picked up phenomenal technology).

And we won't even go into the Word of Blake's sudden, exponential growth and deployment of WarShips...

The Free Worlds League has always been a bit of a no-show, which is a pity given the diversity of the realm.

The FRR has really ever only been a bunch of Vikings with a limitless hatred of Mercenaries, protected soely because of ComStar. There's really not too much you can do with that, especially now when you can count their planetary systems without taking your shoes off
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
villagereaver
03/11/05 03:33 PM

My favourite house would be the FRR. I also have enjoyed the dragon. As for the clans, i liked wolf, bear and wolverine (aka not-named or Minnesota tribe).

Now for mercenary units i was always drawn to the unit crests of Hansen's Roughriders and the Narhal Raiders. Plus they weren't the "god" units. i.e. Kill Hounds, Wolf's Dungheads, ELH, Buttwind Highlanders, Team BB (copyright infringement), Snord's Ear-boogers. You know the ones with phantom mech, clan tech, more than 3 regiments of mechs, or any other story-line ruining features.
Death to all BT and MW authors. For they are the bane of all that is good about the genre!
Lone_Wolf_Radick
03/12/05 09:09 AM

Somewhat agreed about the Mercenary units that seem unable to lose... It gets predictable and I know the authors are trying to romanticize and humanize the merc units lifestyle but let's be realistic... They're in it for the money and more often than not are not up to elite snuff... They're good, let's face it they have to be just to survive but that's not to say they can take and do what some of these units have done and the fact that some seem to now care about the state of things in the sphere... it's BS! For a merc to care about political stability would be like a death wish- Face it, in stability there is no money to be made... I wish they had left the lines as they were, I still love the wolf, hate the green chickens and what has become of the bears, disagree with the sudden explosion that is WOB, and wish there were more fluff out there for the so-called "minor clans" and houses (FRR, periperhy, Goliath Scorpions, Hell's Horses)... I'd like to believe the story is setting up for a comstar war and the revival of the wolf and re-initiation of the invasion and the destruction of a house or two, but now that the accursed MW:DA has been released it is becoming painfully clear that the story has been groomed to pave the way for this blasphemy of a once rich and great storyline... Oh how I yearn for 3052 and previous secnarios, characters, and storylines...

-Wolf
War Never Determines who is right, only who is left.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing-Darth Vader"
UncaRat
03/16/05 05:09 AM

Veteran looks over at the new recruit, pauses, then nods. "See I told you things'd heat up. But if you keep your head you'll do all right."

On a seperate note the factions are all equiped with some backers. From my point of view the Wolves get more favorable press in the NOVELS, but as some people point out the novels are not the game. After the novels are dropped I think things are relatively even handed. That said I should mention that I always felt that the Jade Falcons were not well served by thier Kahn in the invasion (WARNING OPINION: the man as described is a political rotter not realy a soldier). The other clans at that time have soldiers as leaders.

On the subject of the Ghost Bears change. Could that be the rise to power of a new group? is there any info that would support such a speculation, absent of that it would be a pretty radical change.

As for mercs who can't loose. What's the surprise? The lead unit of a novel might be destroied, but only if the novel focuses on the aftermath. Still I would expect reverses to be more common, especialy against well supplied house units.

A note on skill levels of units; large stationary garisson units only fight if attacked, smaller more mobile units can at some point try to get were the battle is. Transportation limits strongly suggest this.

With no supporting evidence at all this leads me to believe that small mobile units are likely to be used to train up the warriors skills and allow the larger units to rotate thier personel in and out of battle. I believe I remember some effort in this direction by the Kell Hounds after the clans lost the big T.

This might account for an unusualy skillful group showing up as opponents. But as you say some writers novels do favor one group over another.

As for 3025 secnarios, charecters, and storylines . . . Go back my son, but go carefully! Some of that is 'Bad Country'
Rorahusky
06/23/05 12:21 PM

My favorite Clan: Clan Nova Cat. Something about the spiritualism just strikes me, and the way they conducted themselves when the SLDF went to crush the Smoke Jaguars was brilliant.

As for my favorite House, I'd have to say Federated Commonwealth, before that ***** came along and wrecked it with her scheming against her own flesh and blood.

Fav Periphery? Hmmm... I'd have to say the Magistry of Canopus.
Nightward
06/26/05 01:41 AM

Thread necromancy, for fun (possibly) and profit!

I haven't been following this for a while, largely because it was heading into a flamewar. But now things have had time to cool off a bit.

Re the Bears: Not really. When he first appeared, Bjorn Jorgenssen (Ghost Bear Khan) was depicted as a brutal warlord. The direction changed there with the Invading Clans sourcebook, probably because they wanted to differentiate the Smoke Jaguars from the Ghost Bears. You can really only have one repressive genocidal regime running around before the idea gets stale.

As for the roatational troops duty, spot on. However, some outfits (like the Sword of Light, Davion Guard, Lyran Guard, etc) are the dedicated frontline of major assualts, and do most of their operational excercises and training in units upwards of a batallion. Back in 3025, a Company or Batallion of 'Mechs was an incredible amount of hardware to be tossing around, let alone Regimental formations. The Clan War changes that, though.

The Cats are interesting, and I'd have liked to see them get a bit more airplay. Given their role in founding the Clans, though, we might get to see some action there if they translate that CBT novel into English.
tbird89
06/27/05 11:05 PM

i've always loved comstar, even after anastasius reformed it (nope, not a wobbie like chetter) and i like the way that it's always been shown realisicly, not some super force, capable of killing mech regiments with their bare hands *Cough* Allard-Liao*cough*
why? becuase. jesus told me to. and you wanna know something else that jesus told me? he said that everytime it rains, it's becuase god is crying over something u did. because god hates you.
so does superman
fenix
08/24/05 12:00 AM

I haven't followed the novels for a while but I read the 'Warrior' series and I am a big fan of the 3025 era rulebook side notes and background. Things got a little too complicated with the Clan invasion and I simply didn't have the time or resources to keep up with the huge amount of new data to process... so as of 3025, my likes and dislikes...
fave Clan... um... Wolf I think because they use lots of Madcats which are awesome... Clan politics is all wierd and psychopathic to me so I can't use the political stances as justification for that pick.

with the houses, things get a little deeper. I have always liked Steiner because of the five warlords from the origional game, Katrina seemed to be the only one able to look past the ego issues and try to stop the wars. They get their butts kicked because of incompetent leadership, but they seem 'good' to me and they invented the Commando - a cool little mech - maybe not the most efficient I just think they look neat and punch hard for their size.

I think Kurita is too extreme with the whole bushido thing. controlling cult-like cultures as a power base is never something I have been a fan of, but you got to admit they are fierce. Dragons and Jenners are also both killer mechs in that tech level, but they do have the whole Kentares massacre to atone for - hardly a 'noble warrior code' is it? so I gotta respect them, I just dont gotta like them.

Davion I think is an arrogant jerk. Its easy to pretend to be the heroic goodguy type when you have the biggest army but I think there's a modern world equivalent to the United States of Davion and their sometimes questionable 'goodness' backed up by a lot of intimidation. Maybe that's why I don't like em.

Marik got off light from the clan invasion, so they are in the position to help out all the other houses and appear benevolent, but the old Cranston Snord's Irregulars book made me think Janos was kind of a shady bastard and an idiot who lets himself be made fool of over and over.

Liao is fun to like because they are the underdogs, but also the most fanatic and overconfident. Good mechwarriors (they would have to be to take Vindicators up against all comers), lousy mechs, crazy rulers... hmmm... i think I will pass

mercs: Cranston Snord's Irregulars (3025) cause they're all so goofy and quirky. A lot of good background story and character. It seems the writers kind of changed the background when the clan thing happened, because the origional storyline ran that Cranston won his mech gambling... none of this Wolfe's Dragoon secret agent stuff... oh well revisionist history is what it is... Nobody knew Natasha was a clanner either...
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 71185

Contact Admins Sarna.net