MUNCHKINS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
TigerShark
12/02/13 11:56 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
There's no lag on MegaMek. It's a virtual table top. And just about no way to cheat. It's literally the same as playing on a table with all of the rules coded in.
NeverSayNever
12/04/13 05:31 PM

The dose makes the difference.

A healthy little dose of munchkinism added from time to time to spice up routine gameplay should be no big problem for a nice and healthy mix of people in a gaming group / community.

Of course the size of your gaming group / community matters as well.

A single, dedicated hardcore munchkin could be one too many for a small gaming group / community already.

The larger your gaming group / community and the healthier and more varied the mix of people in the gaming group / community the more robust it will be and people will barely notice the presence and or the influence of a few munchkins.

Pretty much the same principles apply if you dare to take a closer look at other, more extreme styles of play.

"Win at all costs" attitude can be seen as one of the defining core aspects of munchkinism.

Pretty much the same "Win at all costs" attitude defines hardcore PVP-ers and or hardcore PK-ers in MMORPGs.

The larger your MMORPG's community / player base and the healthier and more varied the mix of different styles of play the more robust your MMORPG.

Community size / server population matters and the right mix of people and playstyles is critical for success as well.

Pretty much the same applies for successful forums as well: It takes a critical minimum mass / number of people and a healthy mix of different people / opinions as well ...
skiltao
12/05/13 01:53 PM

Quote:
There's no lag on MegaMek. It's a virtual table top. And just about no way to cheat. It's literally the same as playing on a table with all of the rules coded in.

The game might not require much bandwidth, sure. But it's a turn-based online game, which tends to exaggerate inattentiveness and "AFK"ing; the awkward GUI can slow players down further; and the AI doesn't always make its decisions quickly either.

MegaMek is just java (and open-source), right? So it isn't that there's no way to mess with the code. It's more that nobody bothers because anyone who knows how also has better things to do -- like helping keep the releases current.

(PS: I could be wrong, but I believe the term "virtual tabletop" is technically reserved for more flexible white-board environments that don't hard-code most rules for a game.)
TigerShark
12/08/13 01:03 AM

Never had a problem with "AFK"ing. A table top game can take 10x longer, even when people are paying attention. ;-)

Never had a problem with the GUI either. MekWars servers put out 300 to 800 games/week (depending on the season) and have done so for years. Maybe a hardware problem?
skiltao
12/08/13 12:51 PM

Not a hardware problem, no. MegaMek's interface (at least as of '09) is just very much out of date. When I want BattleTech enough to put up with an interface that clunky I can just boot up MechForce.

I completely agree that tabletop games can take longer in person. Especially if lots of die rolls are needed.
Reiter
12/27/13 02:37 PM

Quote:
The dose makes the difference.

A healthy little dose of munchkinism added from time to time to spice up routine gameplay should be no big problem for a nice and healthy mix of people in a gaming group / community.

Of course the size of your gaming group / community matters as well.

A single, dedicated hardcore munchkin could be one too many for a small gaming group / community already.

Pretty much the same principles apply if you dare to take a closer look at other, more extreme styles of play.

Pretty much the same "Win at all costs" attitude defines hardcore PVP-ers and or hardcore PK-ers in MMORPGs.

The larger your MMORPG's community / player base and the healthier and more varied the mix of different styles of play the more robust your MMORPG.

Community size / server population matters and the right mix of people and playstyles is critical for success as well.

Pretty much the same applies for successful forums as well: It takes a critical minimum mass / number of people and a healthy mix of different people / opinions as well ...

pretty much my thoughts.

Ever played world of sh-tanks-it ? Wot was terrible because everyone played only tier 8-10 (highest class of tanks) in the first months of the game, I got sick of it and would leave the match as soon as it started if my tier 5-6 tank was dragged into one. Basically would be like a Phoenix Hawk going against an Atlas every time, except that a 1944 Sherman tank stands no chance against a 1960 era Patton tank. A PHK can out move a slow Atlas and scout, a tier 4-6 tank is so damn slow and blind it cannot scout worth a crap. 90% of the game population only played the highest class of tank, that only 1 in 10 matches had my Sherman, Panzer IV, or KV Russian with a 152mms gun (ac/20) which was way over powered to the point that many players in weaker tanks (M3 Lee for example) hated the KV tank. The game was based on real world stats, so obviously many munchkins were drawn to the most powerful tanks.

I would just exit the match at start if I was under gunned, because every match turns into a 3025 Hunchback vs Daishi match that got boring fast..I had no control over what type of opponent I faced in WoT because the "BV" of the KV was so high and it needed filler to start a 15 vs 15 game. When I left the match, half the time the tank never was removed from the game and I was accused of AFK farming that my account was reset to zero....after spending 100 USD on it. Problem was the other players and the developer....there was no option to avoid OP class tanks. I would't mind facing a superiority equipped opponent, so long as it not 90% of the time facing superior foes. I could predict what type of match before it could happen...limited lottery where you knew what the numbers where and always drew out the manufacture label on the inside of the band instead of the lottery ticket.

to;dr aspect: In BTECH terms the game of WoT was like facing hordes of munchkins using tech 3 and custom every time, without trying weaker designs and raging that some ragequit. They never considered nor respected the other players choice to leave or opinion that the match up was not even fun for the casual.

The better description would be that munchkins want more power and faster gameplay while the casual is more fixated on a different game style..both might want to occasionally face one another, but have different styles that the other should respect and try to fit in without min/max every time to win or disrespect. Min/maxing is fun, but so limiting yourself from time to time.

Typing from a tablet sucks when your computer screen says not logged in while on My Home for Reiter and goes to the send message screen yet you cannot use the forum reply option. Would kill to type this post with a keyboard =/
ATN082268
03/01/14 01:29 AM

Quote:
Venomous thread, here. Good lord. Here's some fun retorts:

You might be a bad BattleTech player if...

(1) You spend your time calling people "Munchkins" instead of improving your game play.

(2) Your armies are poorly made and you rage quit instead of learn why you just took a beating.

(3) You think only some designs should be allowed because you're too lazy or too poor of a player to figure out the rules.

(4) You think it's still 1986 and that anything other than 3025 "isn't BattleTech."

There is certainly some truth to what you say All the ranting about "Munchkins" shows at least, if not worse, behavior than displayed by "Munchkins." Something to think about...
mwam
10/02/15 07:44 PM

Post deleted by Cray
DavidG
10/02/15 09:11 PM

I used to play WWIII Micro Armor. We had a few guys who always played the Americans and only took M1A1s and Bradleys with Class A troops I loved to play against them. I played Soviet T55s, T10Ms as my MBTs and used generic trucks with infantry all Class C. These were equal point value games. These guys would have two companies of M1s and two companies of Bradleys. I would have 3 Companies of T55s, 1 T10M company, an 5 companies of infantry in trucks. Unless they got lucky with airstrikes, I'd win about 75% of the time. I usually beat them by sacrificing a T55 company and some infantry to draw them were the terrain favored my units\, usually point blank. The look on their faces when I won was priceless.

As for Battletech,I played a long running MechWarrior game when I had a Morphious that was modified with ermls and medium pulse lasers along with a center torso cockpit with virtual reality. To get this using MW 2ed, I put most of my points in backgrounds and advantages (nat ap computer and gunner, Title/heir) but that left me with minimal pts for skills and stats. MY gunnery and piloting skills were 8/8. We had a lot of fun.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 48145

Contact Admins Sarna.net