Clan Upgrades(Compared to IS Equipment)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
skiltao
04/09/14 03:06 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
You defined "the game" as what's codified in the rules. And many aspects of campaign play are not codified--they require house rules.

I'm not familiar with the Rhonda's Irregulars book. What does it say about resupply between missions? It would make sense if (for instance) an SHD-2H built in a Marik ex-Star League factory would have the same cannon as an SHD-2H built in a Capellan ex-Star League factory (ditto for other 'Mechs used across multiple factions), but I would be very surprised if the book said anything about loading Clan ammo into Inner Sphere machines.
ghostrider
04/09/14 07:55 PM

I haven't found anything yet to say it is definate that they are using clan ammo, while I also have not found that they can't.

But let me ask you this. In all the scenarios and book, including novels, that unit running low on ammo, raid a clan munitions depot, and are back in the fight, how many do you think are using normal ammo in quatities that would allow this?

I just need to find the rest of my books. Still packed away.
skiltao
04/09/14 11:06 PM

I can remember a merc unit using Clan supplies to rearm Clan 'Mechs, and I can remember Inner Sphere 'Mechs striking Clan worlds and then returning to an Inner Sphere-held world for rearmament. I do not recall any instances of Inner Sphere 'Mechs rearming with only Clan munitions available.

(There are a number of books I've never read, though.)
ghostrider
04/10/14 01:30 AM

The black thorns are an innersphere unit that captured a clan dropship with clan mechs.

There has not be one that specifically said they had used clan ammunition, but then why capture it if no one can use it. Plus there are alot of innersphere units that use clantech, and yet nothing has ever been said about needed special ammo for them.

There is not real listing on prices for clan ammo sold to innersphere units. It would be extremely expensive because the only supplier is the clans in this case.

With the discovery of the helm core and star league technology, it would be assumed that ALL weapons and ammo would conform to the specs in the core. Other weapons were rediscovered from using core info, but through different houses and companies. Ultra 5 ammo and lb10x ammo as well as gauss ammo should be the same throughout the innersphere.

I do want to know what the canon rule is on this. I have not seen it stated one way or the other.
skiltao
04/10/14 11:42 AM

Well, if nobody else pipes up here on sarna, you can always get an official ruling on this other board:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/board,83.0.html

Edited by skiltao (04/10/14 11:49 AM)
LegatusDavoke
04/21/14 12:17 AM

Personally the way i get over the typically bad rules relating to autocannons is allowing UACs to be unjammed like RACs. And allowing standard autocannon to fire at double rate similiar to UACs, but they can't be unjammed if they jam. If i had the option, I would give LBX's even more range, and make the cluster shells get a -2 to hit. I know comparing mechwarrior games to BTech is typically not a good comparison, but the cluster shells used by the LBX10 in MW:O are almost stupidly easy to hit with. My accuracy difference on the AC/10 vs. LBX10 is almost 20% in favor of the LBX. Other than that, I typically enjoy autocannons simply for things like the UAC/20 or sandpapering guys with double LBX20's.
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
Christopher_Perkins
08/31/14 01:49 AM

IN the Rules, Ammo is Ammo... what matters is the Gun or the Launcher... i do not recall, ever rules for fireing clan ammo in IS weapons or vice versa, so this basicly means that only the gun or launcher matters

in the BattleTech universe, the Manufacturer, Calibre, and Model of the gun matters, a LOT

is the AC/20 a Pontiac 100 that fires 100x 30 mm shells or the Crusher Super Heavy cannon on the Hetzer that fires 10 shot bursts of 150 mm. These factors that tend to be glossed over in the canon novels...

But you are very much able to turn Mechwarrior in to LogisticsTech if you wish (dont be surprised if your players standardize their units logistics so that all Weapons come from the same model and manufacturer... this woudl be a repair/replacement rather than re engineering)
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
ghostrider
08/31/14 10:28 AM

sad thing is, if you do not figure this out before you play, how do you resupply your troops?
The ac 20 in the old atlas is not the same one in the hertzer or von luckner tank.
When buying ammo, how do you determine what manufacturer, or even if, the ammo is available.
And being real important, how do you determine what style is in the ammo dump your forces just took from the enemy? I really don't think many people have bothered with this while playing, because quite frankly, even the model of ac use in the atlas varies between the successor state as well as even where in the state it was built.
I am using the ac 20 as an example. Though it is not really pushed, even missile launchers can have a variation problem with the ammo they use.

This can be put into gauss rifles as well, since each state would not allow the enemy to use it's ammo for their weapons.

Now there is one problem with chris's solution. If you leave the employ of the state that has the manufacturer, alot of them will ban you from buying their items. I doubt you will be changing to the new employers equipment, but third party buying helps here.
Christopher_Perkins
09/01/14 01:51 PM

in logistics tech (seriously, we're doing this?) ammo would be done by Random tables.

Standardization within calibres would be easy enough, i guess, most worlds would probably have ammunition factories, some units could even have their own portable factories

that is an autocannon/20 that fires 10 round burst of 150 mm ammo would probably fire the same ammo as a different brand ac/20 with the same specs
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
ghostrider
09/01/14 11:56 PM

Some people like to have the entire feeling when playing the game. This includes things like make a contract with their employers and such. Not many, but a few.
Most like to just take out the units and kill anything they can.
The question that I think this thread asks somewhat is does the range difference between innersphere and clan weapons result from the actual launcher or the ammo?
Another was if the ammo is interchangable?

I have not heard anyone come up with canon information to state either way. If you look at scenarios, most imply you can use what ever ammo you capture in any weapon of the like. Ie. You must have an lbx cannon to fire the appropriate lbx ammo. You can not use an ultra or normal one for that. But I have not seen or heard anywhere that you can not us clan lbx ammo in an innersphere lbx cannon.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 16342

Contact Admins Sarna.net