Design help wanted

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Tripod
05/25/07 09:56 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
ok...

A friend of mine is wanting to put together a campaign for us. Here is he basic storyline begining...

A loaded jumpship, sometime arround 3025, initated a jump when something went wrong. The ship did not arrive at the intended system, instead among another, unknown system's asteroid belt. The dropships launched, but only one survived. It landed on the nearest planet, blue oceans, green earth...and humans? The humans there seemed to be in a "Middle Age". The newcomers were held as god's of sorts...ect...you get the idea...

...the campaing takes place 750 years after this...

By now, this middle aged feudal scociety has advanced into a technologicly advanced feudal society. 5 planets and various moons are inhabited. Mechs and dropships are built but the technology of jumpships - K/F drives are lost. Mechs would resemble 3025 tech and include large numbers of ICE powered mechs. Fusion powered mechs do exist, but they are not common and are kept out of the battle unless needed...much like the assault mechs were in the succession wars.

I would like anyone willing to be creative to lend a hand and design a few mechs for us. Some mechs may resemble those that landed hundreds of years ago, some will not. I'm not good at fluff but some of you guys are great at that, and it's more than welcome, but not required at all.

Some designs will be mostly, if not 100% ammo based, simply because they have generaly lower heat. Anyone that has tried to design an ICE mech knows thats an issue. We know ICE mechs suck, but if thats all you have, and thats all your enemy has then it's all good.

Even though these people are advanced techology wise, they still follow a feudal system of government. King, Lords, Dukes, Knights ect. Simply, the mech has replaced the horse. Most mechs have some sort of theme behind them, the Catapult would be an example. Again, both ICE and Fusion mech designs are wanted, please give the ICE's a try. Basic ICE design rules are as follows...

Double the Engine weight of the required fusion engine.
0 heat sinks free with the engine
No Jump Jets
Power amplifiers are needed for energy weapons at 10% of the energy weapons weight.(not sure if fractional accounting applies here.)

Here are 2 examples i have come up with...

Unnamed Mech

55 Tons
3/5
11.5 Tons of armor
10 Heat Sinks
1.0 Ton Power Amplifier
1 PPC
3 Medium Lasers

---------------------------

Heavy Horse

75 Tons
3/5
12.0 Tons of armor
7 Heat Sinks
1 AC/10 (20)
2 SRM 6 (15)
2 MG (100)

I expect some mechs to be good, some not. if you look at the mechs in any tech readout your bound to find something about any given mech you would change to make it better. These built in flaws are what make them unique. We are not looking for tweaked out, killer mechs. Mechs that serve a role in a larger group is a bit more like it. Melee weapons, shields are welcome : ) Once i find my new solaris book i'll post a quick rundown of the new melee wepons. Low speeds, high armor values and weak weapons seem to be the norm for the ICE's. Prove me wrong!

P.S. For all you out there they are worried about the cost of mechs... these 2 are 2.7 and 4.1mill respectivly(TDB ver 2.0.10)
TBA
Karagin
05/25/07 04:19 PM

Sounds like a different take on the MWDA stuff yet with better reasons as to why something are there. Please post some more and I am sure we can help you out.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Tripod
05/27/07 12:32 AM

more designs or more info on the campaign?
TBA
Karagin
05/27/07 12:04 PM

Both.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Tripod
06/03/07 09:36 AM

Being one of the first recorded Assault mechs, it was noted for it's impressive speed for it's size. One structural oddity of this mech is the strange downward facing exaust. No one really knows why this is so, but everyone notices the enormous roar and purr it makes once this massive diesel/electric turns over. A common tavern arguement is weather the engine or the pounding of 90 ton feet makes the enemy shake more. Speaking of the enemy, they usually can't decide to face the wrath of the Crossbow's 6 LRM 5s or to attemp to duck under them and close in only to be met by an impressive array of lasers. The pilots of these guys are glad they don't need to make that decision.

Crossbow CB-A1

Equipment Mass
Cockpit: Standard 3T
Engine: 270 ICE 19.0T
Gyro: Standard 3T
Walk: 3 MP
Run: 5 MP
Jump: 0 MP
Single Heat Sinks: 14 14T
0 in Engine

Internal Structure Standard Armor
Standard IS
Tons 9 12.5
Head 3 9
Center Torso 29 31/6
L/R Torso 19 23/6
L/R Arm 15 22
L/R Leg 19 26

Standard Battle Value: 985? (TDB Ver 2.0.10)

C-Bill Cost: 4,960,710 (TDB Ver 2.0.10)

Qty Weapons and Equipment Location Critical Tonnage
3 LRM 5 RT 3 6
3 LRM 5 LT 3 6
2 Medium Lasers CT 2 2
1 Medium Laser RT 1 1
1 Medium Laser LT 1 1
1 Small Laser RT 1 0.5
1 Small Laser LT 1 0.5
1 LRM 5 Ammo RT 1 1
1 LRM 5 Ammo LT 1 1
Totals 14 19
TBA
Tripod
06/04/07 06:56 AM

It has occured to me as i toil through possible design variations, weapon vs speed vs
armor vs heat that it's hard first of all for an mech to be a do-all design without level 2+ tech. very few level one designs have a good balance of speed, firepower, armor and heat sinks. This is where the niche designs come in. the scout, the fire support, the line holder and the workhorse... we all know this. stepping down from level one tech to ICE types has made designing a do all mech even more difficult. like pairing 2 archers and 2 hunchbacks together in a lance. these designs will depend on one another even more.

I see 3 main classes of design, these can be basicly any size but follow a role in battle...

1st, the line holder(tell me a better name, plz), the super slow big guns of the field. mostly defensive, but could slowly march a line forward if needed. basicly 1-2 to 2-3 speed. a 3-5 ICE mech does not leave much room for heavy firepower. these line mechs would have plenty of armor, lots of firepower and the heat sinks to use it.

2nd, the infantry mech. a moderate blend of all the attributes. speeds ranging from 3-5 to 4-6. these are the guy that would attempt to punch through a line.

3rd, the cavalry. the hit and run fighter. 5-8 or so in speed. speed(lol) in deal soe dammage, build some heat and hope to survive the run away to shed the heat to try again.

------------

As a cavalry clas mech, it does not look like much next to it's larger cousins. In it's field of opperation it does it's job well. A quad design, it resembles a horse in profile and appears to breath smoke when firing the SRM 2, and fire when Inferno rounds are equiped. As a hit and run fighter the Inferno loadout is quite common and effective in aiding the larger forces this mech complements.

NightMare 1B-4C

35 Ton Quad

Equipment Mass
Cockpit: Standard 3T
Engine: 175 ICE 14.0T
Gyro: Standard 2T
Walk: 5 MP
Run: 8 MP
Jump: 0 MP
Single Heat Sinks: 3 3T
0 in Engine
0.1 Power Converter 0.1T

Internal Structure Standard Armor
Standard IS
Tons 3.5T 6.375T
Head ?
Center Torso ?
L/R Torso ?
L/R Arm ?
L/R Leg ?
104 armor points total
(I'm at work, i don't have IS points nor armor details)

Standard Battle Value: ?

C-Bill Cost: ?

Qty Weapons and Equipment Location Critical Tonnage
1 Medium Laser CT 1 1
1 SRM 2 HD 1 1
1 Ammo SRM 2 CT 1 1
Totals 3 3

:EDIT: updated to show the power converter
TBA

Edited by Tripod (06/04/07 08:27 PM)
Askhati
06/04/07 03:51 PM

I figured melee weapons would feature alot more here, what with the feudal system and all. I wanted to add a portable shield, but I do not have rules for that.

Code:

Knight OldMech

Chassis: 75t Biped
Internal structure: Standard [7.5t]
Cockpit: Standard [3t]
Engine: 225 ICE [20t]
Gyro: Standard [3t]
Heatsinks: 6 Single [6t]
Armour: Standard (224) [14t]
H: 9
CT: 35
CT R: 10
LT/RT: 24/24
Side R: 8/8
LA/RA: 23/23
LL/RL: 30/30

Loadout:
Item Location Weight
* LA missing hand actuator
1x AC/5 LA [8t]
AC/5 ammo LA [1t]
2x SRM6 LT RT [6t]
SRM6 ammo LT [1t]
MG ammo LT [1t]
2x MG CT [1t]
1x Sword RA [5t]
6x SHS LL LL RL RL LT LT

Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/04/07 06:56 PM

TY for the submission. once i find my solaris book i'll post the ruls for all melee weapons/shields for those that do not have them. it strongly resembles the heavy horse design i submitted. also, i dodnt know there was a mech already named the crossbow... : ( saw it in megamek last night.
TBA
KamikazeJohnson
06/04/07 07:46 PM

Quote:

also, i dodnt know there was a mech already named the crossbow... : ( saw it in megamek last night.

So? These people have been cut off from the rest of the IS for generations...they've never heard of the other Crossbow either
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Tripod
06/04/07 08:25 PM

i've also found that the use of fractional accounting make the power converters for energy weapons not such a big deal for smaller units. mounting 1 medium laser requires that it drop 2 points of armor for the converter..*shrug*..but i didnt use the fractional with the as-yet-unnamed-mech so i gave it 10 tons of energy weapons.
TBA
Tripod
06/05/07 07:06 AM

so far i've stayed away from melee weapons untill i can find my book so i can see them all. i know claws got reduced in weight and dammage from the max tech rules but allow 2 to be used in one turn not just one(follows hatchet rules...). there are quite a few weapons that do a standard damage no matter the size of the mech and are not affected by TSM. those that are affected by size are generaly doubled with TSM. there is a mace, flail, wrecking ball(heavy flail ), pile driver(siege ram ), claws, lance, sword a vibro sword and small/large shields.
TBA
Askhati
06/07/07 06:01 AM

Some more designs:

----------------------------------------------
Code:

Linesman OldMech

Chassis: 40t Biped
Internal structure: Standard [4t]
Engine: 200 ICE [17t]
Gyro: Standard [2t]
Heatsinks: 1 Single [1t]
Armour: Standard (128) [8t]
H: 8
CT: 18
CT R: 6
LT/RT: 15/15
Side R: 6/6
LA/RA: 11/11
LL/RL: 17/17

Loadout:
Item Location Weight
3x MG LA CT CT [1.5t]
MG ammo LT [0.5t]
1x Hatchet RA [3t]
1x SHS H

Code:

Fencer OldMech

Chassis: 20t Biped
Internal structure: Standard [2t]
Engine: 100 ICE [6t]
Gyro: Standard [1t]
Heatsinks: 1 Single [1t]
Armour: Standard (48) [3t]
H: 6
CT: 7
CT R: 3
LT/RT: 6/6
Side R: 2/2
LA/RA: 4/4
LL/RL: 4/4

Loadout:
Item Location Weight
* LA missing hand actuator
1x LRM5 LA [2t]
LRM5 ammo LA [1t]
1x Sword RA [1t]
1x SHS H

Code:

Versuvius OldMech

Chassis: Unknown
Power Plant: Unknown 160 ICE
Cruising Speed: 21.5
Maximum Speed: 32.25
Jump Jets: none
Jump Capacity: none
Armor: Unknown
Armament:
1 Long Tom Cannon
1 SRM 4
3 Machine Guns
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

(OldMech) Versuvius

Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 3
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 8
Engine: 160 ICE 12
Walking MP: 2
Running MP: 3
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 10 10
Gyro: 2
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 224 14

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 25 37
Center Torso(rear) 12
R/L Torso 17 26
R/L Torso(rear) 8
R/L Arm 13 23
R/L Leg 17 26

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
SRM 4 LA 1 2
Long Tom Cannon LT/LA 12/3 20
Long Tom Cannon Ammo RT 6 6
Machine Gun RT(R) 1 0.5
Machine Gun Ammo (1/2 ton) RT 1 0.5
SRM 4 Ammo RT 1 1
Machine Gun RA 1 0.5
Machine Gun H 1 0.5

Code:

Colossus OldMech

Power Plant: Unknown 200 ICE
Cruising Speed: 21.5
Maximum Speed: 32.25
Armor: Unknown
Armament:
1 LRM 15
1 Autocannon/10
6 Machine Guns
2 SRM 4s
1 Mace

(OldMech] Colossus

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 10
Engine: 200 ICE 17
Walking MP: 2
Running MP: 3
Armor Factor: 304 19

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 47
Center Torso(rear) 14
R/L Torso 21 32
R/L Torso(rear) 10
R/L Arm 17 34
R/L Leg 21 41

Autocannon/10 LA 7 12
Machine Gun LA 1 0.5
Autocannon/10 Ammo LT 2 2
SRM 4 LT 1 2
SRM 4 LT 1 2
SRM 4 Ammo LT 1 1
Machine Gun LL 1 0.5
Machine Gun RL 1 0.5
LRM 15 RT 3 7
LRM 15 Ammo RT 2 2
Machine Gun Ammo RT 1 1
Mace RA 7 7
Machine Gun CT 1 0.5
Machine Gun CT(R) 1 0.5
Machine Gun H 1 0.5

Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/09/07 08:36 AM

TY for the contrabution. i like them. 1 HS is questionable but hey, no mech is perfect...and thats the point of some of these guys

Complete "Classic Battletech Mappack Solaris VII" Melee weapons rules...

if this is plagerism im sorry, i dont feel it is. if it is, i'll remove, or have the post removed asap...

Claws-

BV-Dmg*1.275 cost-ton*200
Weight = Tons/15 (round up)
Crit = Tons/15 (round up)
Dammage = Tons/7(round up)
Heat = 0
Replaces hand actuator, one per arm, follows standard punching rules +1 to hit, damage/to-hit monified by arm/shoulder actuator damage and TSM. +2 modifier to avoind damaging an object being lifted by a clawed hand. an additional +1 if the object in question is particularly fragile (such as an unarmored individual), if the roll fails the object suffers half the claws normal damage(round down), claws can be used to wield an improvised club with a +2 to hit penalty
uber melee weapon--> "AS WITH PUNCHING, A BATTLEMECH MAY MAKE TWO CLAW ATTACKS PER TURN (ONE FOR EACH ARM)." <--uber melee weapon

Dual Saw-

BV-9 cost-100,000
Weight = 7
Crit = 7
Damage = 7
Heat = 1
Replaces hand actuator, one per arm, only one may attack per round, follows standard club attack rules +1 to hit, only to hit modifiers apply from damages actuators, TSM does not apply.

Flail-

BV-11 cost-110,000
Weight = 5
Crit = 4
Damage = 9
Heat = 0
Replaces hand actuator, requires upper and lower arm actuactors at construction, one per arm, follows standard club attack rules +1 to hit, only to hit modifiers apply from damages actuators, TSM does not apply. a to hit roll of 2 means the attacker struck himself-half normal damage-fromt battlemech hit location table + a piloting skill roll to avoid fall.

Mace-

BV-Dmg*1 cost-130,000
Weight = Tons/10 (round up)
Crit = Tons/10 (round up)
Damage = Tons/4 <--awsome!
Heat = 0
Requires hand actuator, one per arm, only one may attack per round, follows standard club attack rules +2 to hit, dammage/to-hit monified by arm/shoulder actuator damage and TSM. a missed attack must make a piloting skill roll to avoid falling +2.

Pile Driver-

BV-5 cost-100,000
Weight = 10
Crit = 8
Damage = 9
Heat = 0
Replaces hand and lower arm actuators, one per arm, follows standard club attack rules +3 to hit, only to hit modifiers apply from damages actuators, TSM dose not apply.

Lances-

BV-Dmg*1 cost-ton*150
Weight = Tons/20 (round up)
Crit = Tons/20 (round up)
Damage = Tons/5 (round up)
Heat = 0
Does not require hand actuator, one per arm, only one may attack per round, follows standard club attack rules +2 to hit, dammage/to-hit monified by arm/shoulder actuator damage and TSM. After each hit, if armor remains, roll 2D6, on 10+ the lance inflicts 1 point of internal dammage to the location struck. roll critical with a -2 modifier. if no armor reamined after the inital attack or the intial attack went internal, roll critical as normal, unmodified.

Wrecking Ball-

BV-8 cost-80,000
Weight = 4
Crit = 5
Damage = 8
Heat = 0
Replaces hand actuator, requires upper and lower arm actuactors at construction, one per arm, follows standard club attack rules +2 to hit, only to hit modifiers apply from damages actuators, TSM dose not apply. a to hit roll of 2 means the attacker struck himself-half normal damage-fromt battlemech hit location table and a piloting skill roll to avoid fall.

Vibroblades-

BV-12-17-24 cost-150,000 - 400,000 - 750,000
Size = Small/Medium/Large
Weight = 3/5/7
Crit = 1/2/4
Damage = 7/10/14
Heat = 3/5/7
When activated vibroswords deal the set damage and heat listed above(damage not modified by damaged actuactors or TSM, +'s to hit still apply), when turned off function as normal swords. a loophole exists here as a 100 ton mech can have a 3 ton small vibrosword turned off and it function as a normal sword that should weigh 5 tons, 7 crits. exploit this at your own risk. even the large vibroblade is one less crit...?

Spikes-

BV-4(defensive value only) cost-Ton*50
Weight = 0.5
Crit = 1
Damage = 2
Heat = n/a
May be mounted in any location, one per location(one per torso covers front and rear), a critical hit destroys the spikes, when a physical attack hits a location equiped with spikes reduce the damage by 4(minimum of 1 dammage), also, the attacker takes 2 points of damage to the body location that delivered the damage, if more than one location delivered the damage, devide it evenly. when charging, if any of the attackers torso location containing spikes are damagedby him charging, increace the charge damage by 4 for each. Any time a spike is used in any form roll 2D6 on a 9+ the spike is destroyed(mark the critical slot as destroyed).

Shields-

BV-50-135-263(defensive value only) cost-50,000 - 100,000 - 300,000
Size = Smsll/Medium/Large
Weight = 6/4/2
Crit = 7/5/3
Damage Absorption = 3/5/7
Damage Capacity = 11/18/25
Bash Modifier = -1/-2/-3
Movement Cost = 0/-1/-1
One shield per arm, may mount another size in the other arm. once the shield is destroyed, movement penalties are removed. movement penalties are cumulative from 2 med/lrg shields. shields absorb damage from weapons fire and physical attacks not including charge and DFA. for ever critical hit to the shield reduce the damage capacity by 5 and damage absorption by 1. also reduce the damage absorption rating by 1 for each arm actuactor hit, 2 for a shoulder hit.

Players must designate during the Weapon attack phase wheather or not a mech is using the shield for active or passive defense or no defense at all.

Active Defense Mode-

protects the shield arm, nearest side torso(front or back), center torso(front only), head and nearest leg. absorbs damage equal to its absorption rating from each weapon/physical attack striking a protected location. no weapons attacks from a protected location. a shield bash attack cannot be made in active defense mode.

Passive Defense Mode-

only protects the shield arm and the nearest side torso(front only). weapons iring froma protected location reciece a +2 to hit modifier. absorbs dammage equal to the damage absorption rating.

No Defense Mode-

only protects the mounted arm, may not be used for bash attacks, +1 to hit for weapons in the shield arm.

Damage absorption-
a large shield with a absorb rating of 7 will totally absorb a 5 point medium laser hit. reduce the dmage capicity by one, from 25 to 24. an IS PPC will be reduced by 7, and pass 3 damage on to the mechs armor as normal, reduce the damage capicity by one, from 24 to 23. a lbx or lrm or srm that spreads damage arround is a little sifferent. the shield will absorb up to 7 points that strike protected locations, the rest pass through normally and only 1 point is marked off the damage capacity. 1 missile from an srm 2 and 20 1 point fragments from an lb20x both reduce the damage capacity by 1 each.

Shield Bash-

When in passive defense mode the shield can be used to bash your oponent. treated as a standard club attack pluss the bash modifier(looks like a negative to hit bonus to me), + to hit for damages actuactors, not modified by TSM, dealing damage equal to its current damage absorption rating. one shield bash per turn.
TBA
Askhati
06/09/07 03:26 PM

Interesting... What about portable 'Mech guns, where the 'Mech can carry a separate weapon and ammo, and uses it with both hands? Sort of like an over-sized rifle of sorts.
Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/09/07 11:02 PM

similar in look to the old wolverine, pheonix hawk or battlemaster's hand held guns? this is always possible in fluf as we all know. are you speaking of making this as some sort of new thing? like a modular item similar to pods of an omni? or am i misunderstanding you? so far we have stuck with conventional rules and not added anything new. i concidered allowing all ice mechs to come with superchargers at no cost/weight(just like MASC but the whole engine quits when it fails, not just the legs as in masc). sort of an advanced ice.

this idea had crossed my mind quite some time ago. like 10+ years ago back in highschool. after looking at the wolverines ac/5 and ammo clip in the left hand... i thought about a mech-SRM6 shooter....hehehe
TBA
SCUM
06/10/07 12:05 AM

I think he is asking if handheld weapons (non melee) would be compatable with your new environment's storyline.
Jer 33:3
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Promo Code:scumsentme
Tripod
06/10/07 02:05 AM

i guess the bit about using both hands is whats confusing me. if it's somethign along the lines of the pheonix hawks large laser, thats totaly acceptable. if it's not then i need more info.

as far as the storyline goes it is acceptable. remember, there was an influx of wisdom into this scociety in the form of modern, star leage era pople. some of their beliefs and concepts will survive. not every design will have the feudal there and not every one will be ICE. Fusion designs are welcome too.
TBA
Askhati
06/10/07 09:21 AM

I was refering to having a completely separate weapon, following the rules set out in either MaxTech or Tactifcal Handbook. It is excluded from the 'Mech's construction parameters, and is limited only by its weight (which will determine whether a certain class of 'Mech will be able to pick it up). And with a lifting capacity at 10% of the 'Mech's weight, this means a 100-tonner can carry up to ten tons of external weaponry in its arms, rifle-style.
Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/10/07 10:35 AM

that sounds like it would help the ICE's out alot. does TSM modify this to 20% of the mechs weight? also what about heat/ammo/power connections(converters for ICE's)? lol, i own both of those books and i've missed that rule all together. they are at a friends house, with the bulk of my BT stuff...
TBA
SCUM
06/10/07 12:03 PM

According to MaxTech 1st edition:

CONSTRUCTION
Each hand-heald weapon must be completely self contained--that is, it must include any heat sinks and ammunition required to fire the weapon as well as the weapon itself A hand-held weapon can also mount standard armor at the usual cost in tonnage. Hand-held weapons are too compact to make use of double heat sinks or other special types of heat sinks (or armor). Finnaly, hand-held weapons may not be linked to targetting computers or other systems in the mech carrying them (for example, an artemis IV FCS mounted in the arm).

Example: A hand-held SRM-2 weighs 1 ton + at least 1 ton of ammunition + 2 heat sinks weighing 1 ton each + any armor desired, in this case 8 pts weighing 0.5 tons = 4.5 tons

or

3x SLas = 1.5t + 3 HS = 3t + 0 armor = total weight 4.5t

ATTACKS(paraphrased)
Hand-held weapons must be carried according to rules for BattleMech Lifting Capabilities.
May be fired as a standard arm-mounted weapon.
However, it is carried in both arms and can only fire in front firing arc.
Damage to arm actuators in either arm will affect firing as though it were arm-mounted, culminative for both arms.
If the mech takes critical hits leaving it with no functioning hand actuators, the weapon is dropped at the end of phase crits were taken.
Weapon does'nt generate heat (carries own sinks).
Only uses ammo from it's own supply, can't use ammo from mech even if for same weapon.
Can only carry one hand-held weapon, they may consist of multiple weapon inside the weapon itself.
All weapons mounted in hand-held weapon must fire at the same target, though not all weapons have to be fired if weapon is used.

DAMAGE(paraphrased)
Mech damage to arm, roll 1d6, on 1 or 6 weapon is hit instead of arm.
Mech damage to front center torso, roll 1d6, on 6 weapon is hit instead.
If weapon is armored, mark of appropriate armor damage, excess damage destroys weapon.
Weapon is destroyed by any internal damage, as it HAS no internals other than the weapon itself.
Mech remains undamaged by a hit against hand-held weapon.

DROPPING(paraphrased)
Weapon may be dropped or picked up from ground at any end phase.
Cannot drop and pickup a weapon in same phase.
If mech falls, it may drop weapon, piloting roll required to not drop w/ usual mods +1 for each damaged or missing arm actuator.
If weapon is dropped, it may not be picked up untill end phase of following turn.
A dropped weapon immediately ceases to function.
It can't be attacked while on the ground.
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Tripod
06/10/07 07:18 PM

"Hand-held weapons must be carried according to rules for BattleMech Lifting Capabilities."
so does TSM double the available tonage for hand held weapons?

i assume targeting and power connections are made through the hand connection, thats why once it's dropped and picked back up it does not function... no mention of power converters...but ICEs are so rare in regular combat....more like nonexistant...

yup, SRM 6 Shooter/w laser sight!

1 SRM 6 3T
1 Ton of ammo 1T
1 Small Laser (sight : ) ) 0.5T
5 Heat Sinks 5T
0.5 Tons of Armor 0.5T
---
10T

thats kinda crazy though... unlimited crits means some fool will mount like 38 clan MG's on one of these things...with less than 3 shots each...

but adding 3 mg's, or a small laser with some armor is a big help to a 20 ton mech.
TBA

Edited by Tripod (06/10/07 07:20 PM)
SCUM
06/10/07 11:22 PM

TSM only doubles lifting capabilities when running 9 heat or higher. So it would not be able to start out with a double weight weapon.

The way the rules read, it looks like it might be possible to fire your weapon if you pick it back up. Considering that many of these rules are optional, it is up to the creator of the world as to if they can function if picked up.
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Tripod
06/11/07 12:21 AM

i thought you got +1 walking and double damage physical attacks whith 9+ heat but always has the 2X lifting? what about industrial TSM? probly only usable by workmechs, i know. does it require the heat to be activated?
TBA
Askhati
06/11/07 06:43 AM

Well, for a 20t 'Mech you could get 2 MG's, half a ton of ammo and half a ton of armor as a two-ton portable weapon. Useful against infantry, I would think.
Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/11/07 07:17 AM

Mag Shots would work nicely in these too. they are mini gauss, 3-6-9 2 dammage, 1 heat, 50 shots/ton, 0.5 tons itself. same gauss properties, inert ammo, 20 dammage from the weapon on a crit. from the solaris map pack with those new melee weapons. it also has the fuid gun someone posted about awhile back.

so it would take up to a 40 ton mech to get a hand held medium laser...sheesh...

and those 2 extra mg's on that 20 ton mech you mentioned will be more than just usefull against infantry. these ICE mechs will end up in brawls most likely. with low speeds most come with high armor for survivability sacrificing weaponry making them last even longer. im not a fan of rifleman type mechs, bristleing with weapons and paper this armor. never seen this phylosophy work out in combat. most if the designs i come up with seem to favor the banshee approach, favoring speed and armor over weaponry. i know 4/6 and 3/5 are slow, but thats good speed in the ICE scope of things. maybe we are not good players. any coments on that(not that we stink at BT, about the rifleman design approach...hehe), it's quite relevant to this thread.
TBA
SCUM
06/11/07 12:15 PM

I don't have any material covering industrial TSM.

I was just thinking of how well The handheld weapons could work swords & hatchets.
7t Hatchet for 100 tonner + 3t armor = 10t hatchet
5t sword for 100 tonner + 2t armor + 2.5t 5x MG + 0.5t ammo = 10t sword
1t sword for 20 tonner + 0.5t armor = 1.5t
2t hatchet for 30 tonner + 1t armor = 3t
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Tripod
06/12/07 12:13 AM

yea, the though of using this for melee weapon crossed my mind but it seemed abusive of this rule as i dont think it was intended for melee style weapons. i dont have the exact print of the words in the manual to hand to my rules lawyer to make a ruleing... : )

..."it must include any heat sinks and ammunition required to ""fire"" the weapon"...

inital ruleing is negative... i'd like a clarification on that though...

i think the shields are really going to make these mechs(any design for that mater) much more survivable... i cant wait to see to mechs with melee weapons and shields bashing away at each other...
TBA
JackGarrity
06/12/07 11:07 PM

IS: LVL3: Tons: 65. FT:0. MH:8. HD:10. CF:22 BV:-01,582. Cost:3,122,048 BV:-02, 578. Cost:3,346,448.

Pls-01 Ploughshare

Power Plant: Unknown 195 ICE
Cruising Speed: 32.25
Maximum Speed: 53.75
Armor: Unknown with CASE and CASE II
Armament:
1 MRM 10
1 Autocannon/2

Pls-01 Ploughshare

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 6.5
Engine: 195 ICE 16
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Armor Factor: 130 8.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 21 15
Center Torso(rear) 6
R/L Torso 15 10
R/L Torso(rear) 5
R/L Arm 10 14
R/L Leg 15 21

Sword LA 5 3.5
Autocannon/2 LT 1 6
Autocannon/2 Ammo LT 2 2
CASE LT 1 0.5
MRM 10 RA 2 3
MRM 10 Ammo RA 3 3
CASE II RA 1 1

----

Pls-02 Ploughshare

Power Plant: Unknown 195 ICE
Cruising Speed: 32.25
Maximum Speed: 53.75
Armor: Unknown with CASE and CASE II
Armament:
2 Light AC/2s
2 SRM 2s

Pls-02 Ploughshare

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 6.5
Engine: 195 ICE 16
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Armor Factor: 130 8.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 21 15
Center Torso(rear) 6
R/L Torso 15 10
R/L Torso(rear) 5
R/L Arm 10 14
R/L Leg 15 21

Sword LA 5 3.5
SRM 2 LT 1 1
SRM 2 Ammo LT 1 1
CASE LT 1 0.5
SRM 2 RT 1 1
SRM 2 Ammo RT 1 1
Light AC/2 RA 1 4
Light AC/2 RA 1 4
Light AC/2 Ammo RA 2 2
CASE II RA 1 1
Greetings Mechwarrior.
JackGarrity
06/12/07 11:12 PM

You want fluffy fuedal mechs, I mgiht be able to spin you some, if can get some information on the factions that make up the world, size of said factions, general location, like say is some of them living in a giant swampland, others roam the plains, etc. Irl persons asked me to make some Knights of the Round style mechs, 12 units, specalized around a single weapon of some kind, so my brains in that kinda zone.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
Tripod
06/12/07 11:29 PM

1st off, TY for the addition.

what design program are you using Jack?

3 questions about the designs...

1, are swords rounded to the nearest 1/2 ton?

2, you design has 10 heat sinks, was this on pourpose or because your program wont let a mech have less than 10? i have TDB and it wont allow less than 10 HS but we, and i believe the rules, allow less than 10 for ICE engins. Either Fuel Cell or Fission only come with 5 HS, see if it forces 10 on your program. my TDB does not have those engine typesto check.

3, i am not running this campaign so i dont know what the future holds. as of now i've been tasked to design level 1 ICE and fusion mechs. your submissions have level 3 tech on them. fairly easy to work arround. who knows what the future hold on this campaign, it would be silly not to evolve into level 2 and 3 even clan tech.
TBA
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 37588

Contact Admins Sarna.net