Design help wanted

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Tripod
05/25/07 09:56 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
ok...

A friend of mine is wanting to put together a campaign for us. Here is he basic storyline begining...

A loaded jumpship, sometime arround 3025, initated a jump when something went wrong. The ship did not arrive at the intended system, instead among another, unknown system's asteroid belt. The dropships launched, but only one survived. It landed on the nearest planet, blue oceans, green earth...and humans? The humans there seemed to be in a "Middle Age". The newcomers were held as god's of sorts...ect...you get the idea...

...the campaing takes place 750 years after this...

By now, this middle aged feudal scociety has advanced into a technologicly advanced feudal society. 5 planets and various moons are inhabited. Mechs and dropships are built but the technology of jumpships - K/F drives are lost. Mechs would resemble 3025 tech and include large numbers of ICE powered mechs. Fusion powered mechs do exist, but they are not common and are kept out of the battle unless needed...much like the assault mechs were in the succession wars.

I would like anyone willing to be creative to lend a hand and design a few mechs for us. Some mechs may resemble those that landed hundreds of years ago, some will not. I'm not good at fluff but some of you guys are great at that, and it's more than welcome, but not required at all.

Some designs will be mostly, if not 100% ammo based, simply because they have generaly lower heat. Anyone that has tried to design an ICE mech knows thats an issue. We know ICE mechs suck, but if thats all you have, and thats all your enemy has then it's all good.

Even though these people are advanced techology wise, they still follow a feudal system of government. King, Lords, Dukes, Knights ect. Simply, the mech has replaced the horse. Most mechs have some sort of theme behind them, the Catapult would be an example. Again, both ICE and Fusion mech designs are wanted, please give the ICE's a try. Basic ICE design rules are as follows...

Double the Engine weight of the required fusion engine.
0 heat sinks free with the engine
No Jump Jets
Power amplifiers are needed for energy weapons at 10% of the energy weapons weight.(not sure if fractional accounting applies here.)

Here are 2 examples i have come up with...

Unnamed Mech

55 Tons
3/5
11.5 Tons of armor
10 Heat Sinks
1.0 Ton Power Amplifier
1 PPC
3 Medium Lasers

---------------------------

Heavy Horse

75 Tons
3/5
12.0 Tons of armor
7 Heat Sinks
1 AC/10 (20)
2 SRM 6 (15)
2 MG (100)

I expect some mechs to be good, some not. if you look at the mechs in any tech readout your bound to find something about any given mech you would change to make it better. These built in flaws are what make them unique. We are not looking for tweaked out, killer mechs. Mechs that serve a role in a larger group is a bit more like it. Melee weapons, shields are welcome : ) Once i find my new solaris book i'll post a quick rundown of the new melee wepons. Low speeds, high armor values and weak weapons seem to be the norm for the ICE's. Prove me wrong!

P.S. For all you out there they are worried about the cost of mechs... these 2 are 2.7 and 4.1mill respectivly(TDB ver 2.0.10)
TBA
Karagin
05/25/07 04:19 PM

Sounds like a different take on the MWDA stuff yet with better reasons as to why something are there. Please post some more and I am sure we can help you out.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Tripod
05/27/07 12:32 AM

more designs or more info on the campaign?
TBA
Karagin
05/27/07 12:04 PM

Both.
Karagin

Tripod
06/03/07 09:36 AM

Being one of the first recorded Assault mechs, it was noted for it's impressive speed for it's size. One structural oddity of this mech is the strange downward facing exaust. No one really knows why this is so, but everyone notices the enormous roar and purr it makes once this massive diesel/electric turns over. A common tavern arguement is weather the engine or the pounding of 90 ton feet makes the enemy shake more. Speaking of the enemy, they usually can't decide to face the wrath of the Crossbow's 6 LRM 5s or to attemp to duck under them and close in only to be met by an impressive array of lasers. The pilots of these guys are glad they don't need to make that decision.

Crossbow CB-A1

Equipment Mass
Cockpit: Standard 3T
Engine: 270 ICE 19.0T
Gyro: Standard 3T
Walk: 3 MP
Run: 5 MP
Jump: 0 MP
Single Heat Sinks: 14 14T
0 in Engine

Internal Structure Standard Armor
Standard IS
Tons 9 12.5
Head 3 9
Center Torso 29 31/6
L/R Torso 19 23/6
L/R Arm 15 22
L/R Leg 19 26

Standard Battle Value: 985? (TDB Ver 2.0.10)

C-Bill Cost: 4,960,710 (TDB Ver 2.0.10)

Qty Weapons and Equipment Location Critical Tonnage
3 LRM 5 RT 3 6
3 LRM 5 LT 3 6
2 Medium Lasers CT 2 2
1 Medium Laser RT 1 1
1 Medium Laser LT 1 1
1 Small Laser RT 1 0.5
1 Small Laser LT 1 0.5
1 LRM 5 Ammo RT 1 1
1 LRM 5 Ammo LT 1 1
Totals 14 19
TBA
Tripod
06/04/07 06:56 AM

It has occured to me as i toil through possible design variations, weapon vs speed vs
armor vs heat that it's hard first of all for an mech to be a do-all design without level 2+ tech. very few level one designs have a good balance of speed, firepower, armor and heat sinks. This is where the niche designs come in. the scout, the fire support, the line holder and the workhorse... we all know this. stepping down from level one tech to ICE types has made designing a do all mech even more difficult. like pairing 2 archers and 2 hunchbacks together in a lance. these designs will depend on one another even more.

I see 3 main classes of design, these can be basicly any size but follow a role in battle...

1st, the line holder(tell me a better name, plz), the super slow big guns of the field. mostly defensive, but could slowly march a line forward if needed. basicly 1-2 to 2-3 speed. a 3-5 ICE mech does not leave much room for heavy firepower. these line mechs would have plenty of armor, lots of firepower and the heat sinks to use it.

2nd, the infantry mech. a moderate blend of all the attributes. speeds ranging from 3-5 to 4-6. these are the guy that would attempt to punch through a line.

3rd, the cavalry. the hit and run fighter. 5-8 or so in speed. speed(lol) in deal soe dammage, build some heat and hope to survive the run away to shed the heat to try again.

------------

As a cavalry clas mech, it does not look like much next to it's larger cousins. In it's field of opperation it does it's job well. A quad design, it resembles a horse in profile and appears to breath smoke when firing the SRM 2, and fire when Inferno rounds are equiped. As a hit and run fighter the Inferno loadout is quite common and effective in aiding the larger forces this mech complements.

NightMare 1B-4C

35 Ton Quad

Equipment Mass
Cockpit: Standard 3T
Engine: 175 ICE 14.0T
Gyro: Standard 2T
Walk: 5 MP
Run: 8 MP
Jump: 0 MP
Single Heat Sinks: 3 3T
0 in Engine
0.1 Power Converter 0.1T

Internal Structure Standard Armor
Standard IS
Tons 3.5T 6.375T
Head ?
Center Torso ?
L/R Torso ?
L/R Arm ?
L/R Leg ?
104 armor points total
(I'm at work, i don't have IS points nor armor details)

Standard Battle Value: ?

C-Bill Cost: ?

Qty Weapons and Equipment Location Critical Tonnage
1 Medium Laser CT 1 1
1 SRM 2 HD 1 1
1 Ammo SRM 2 CT 1 1
Totals 3 3

:EDIT: updated to show the power converter
TBA

Edited by Tripod (06/04/07 08:27 PM)
Askhati
06/04/07 03:51 PM

I figured melee weapons would feature alot more here, what with the feudal system and all. I wanted to add a portable shield, but I do not have rules for that.

Code:

Knight OldMech

Chassis: 75t Biped
Internal structure: Standard [7.5t]
Cockpit: Standard [3t]
Engine: 225 ICE [20t]
Gyro: Standard [3t]
Heatsinks: 6 Single [6t]
Armour: Standard (224) [14t]
H: 9
CT: 35
CT R: 10
LT/RT: 24/24
Side R: 8/8
LA/RA: 23/23
LL/RL: 30/30

Loadout:
Item Location Weight
* LA missing hand actuator
1x AC/5 LA [8t]
AC/5 ammo LA [1t]
2x SRM6 LT RT [6t]
SRM6 ammo LT [1t]
MG ammo LT [1t]
2x MG CT [1t]
1x Sword RA [5t]
6x SHS LL LL RL RL LT LT

Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/04/07 06:56 PM

TY for the submission. once i find my solaris book i'll post the ruls for all melee weapons/shields for those that do not have them. it strongly resembles the heavy horse design i submitted. also, i dodnt know there was a mech already named the crossbow... : ( saw it in megamek last night.
TBA
KamikazeJohnson
06/04/07 07:46 PM

Quote:

also, i dodnt know there was a mech already named the crossbow... : ( saw it in megamek last night.

So? These people have been cut off from the rest of the IS for generations...they've never heard of the other Crossbow either
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Tripod
06/04/07 08:25 PM

i've also found that the use of fractional accounting make the power converters for energy weapons not such a big deal for smaller units. mounting 1 medium laser requires that it drop 2 points of armor for the converter..*shrug*..but i didnt use the fractional with the as-yet-unnamed-mech so i gave it 10 tons of energy weapons.
TBA
Tripod
06/05/07 07:06 AM

so far i've stayed away from melee weapons untill i can find my book so i can see them all. i know claws got reduced in weight and dammage from the max tech rules but allow 2 to be used in one turn not just one(follows hatchet rules...). there are quite a few weapons that do a standard damage no matter the size of the mech and are not affected by TSM. those that are affected by size are generaly doubled with TSM. there is a mace, flail, wrecking ball(heavy flail ), pile driver(siege ram ), claws, lance, sword a vibro sword and small/large shields.
TBA
Askhati
06/07/07 06:01 AM

Some more designs:

----------------------------------------------
Code:

Linesman OldMech

Chassis: 40t Biped
Internal structure: Standard [4t]
Engine: 200 ICE [17t]
Gyro: Standard [2t]
Heatsinks: 1 Single [1t]
Armour: Standard (128) [8t]
H: 8
CT: 18
CT R: 6
LT/RT: 15/15
Side R: 6/6
LA/RA: 11/11
LL/RL: 17/17

Loadout:
Item Location Weight
3x MG LA CT CT [1.5t]
MG ammo LT [0.5t]
1x Hatchet RA [3t]
1x SHS H

Code:

Fencer OldMech

Chassis: 20t Biped
Internal structure: Standard [2t]
Engine: 100 ICE [6t]
Gyro: Standard [1t]
Heatsinks: 1 Single [1t]
Armour: Standard (48) [3t]
H: 6
CT: 7
CT R: 3
LT/RT: 6/6
Side R: 2/2
LA/RA: 4/4
LL/RL: 4/4

Loadout:
Item Location Weight
* LA missing hand actuator
1x LRM5 LA [2t]
LRM5 ammo LA [1t]
1x Sword RA [1t]
1x SHS H

Code:

Versuvius OldMech

Chassis: Unknown
Power Plant: Unknown 160 ICE
Cruising Speed: 21.5
Maximum Speed: 32.25
Jump Jets: none
Jump Capacity: none
Armor: Unknown
Armament:
1 Long Tom Cannon
1 SRM 4
3 Machine Guns
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

(OldMech) Versuvius

Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 3
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 8
Engine: 160 ICE 12
Walking MP: 2
Running MP: 3
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 10 10
Gyro: 2
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 224 14

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 25 37
Center Torso(rear) 12
R/L Torso 17 26
R/L Torso(rear) 8
R/L Arm 13 23
R/L Leg 17 26

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
SRM 4 LA 1 2
Long Tom Cannon LT/LA 12/3 20
Long Tom Cannon Ammo RT 6 6
Machine Gun RT(R) 1 0.5
Machine Gun Ammo (1/2 ton) RT 1 0.5
SRM 4 Ammo RT 1 1
Machine Gun RA 1 0.5
Machine Gun H 1 0.5

Code:

Colossus OldMech

Power Plant: Unknown 200 ICE
Armament:
1 LRM 15
1 Autocannon/10
6 Machine Guns
2 SRM 4s
1 Mace

(OldMech] Colossus

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 10
Engine: 200 ICE 17
Armor Factor: 304 19

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 47
Center Torso(rear) 14
R/L Torso 21 32
R/L Torso(rear) 10
R/L Arm 17 34
R/L Leg 21 41

Autocannon/10 LA 7 12
Machine Gun LA 1 0.5
Autocannon/10 Ammo LT 2 2
SRM 4 LT 1 2
SRM 4 LT 1 2
SRM 4 Ammo LT 1 1
Machine Gun LL 1 0.5
Machine Gun RL 1 0.5
LRM 15 RT 3 7
LRM 15 Ammo RT 2 2
Machine Gun Ammo RT 1 1
Mace RA 7 7
Machine Gun CT 1 0.5
Machine Gun CT(R) 1 0.5
Machine Gun H 1 0.5

Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/09/07 08:36 AM

TY for the contrabution. i like them. 1 HS is questionable but hey, no mech is perfect...and thats the point of some of these guys

Complete "Classic Battletech Mappack Solaris VII" Melee weapons rules...

if this is plagerism im sorry, i dont feel it is. if it is, i'll remove, or have the post removed asap...

Claws-

BV-Dmg*1.275 cost-ton*200
Weight = Tons/15 (round up)
Crit = Tons/15 (round up)
Dammage = Tons/7(round up)
Heat = 0
Replaces hand actuator, one per arm, follows standard punching rules +1 to hit, damage/to-hit monified by arm/shoulder actuator damage and TSM. +2 modifier to avoind damaging an object being lifted by a clawed hand. an additional +1 if the object in question is particularly fragile (such as an unarmored individual), if the roll fails the object suffers half the claws normal damage(round down), claws can be used to wield an improvised club with a +2 to hit penalty
uber melee weapon--> "AS WITH PUNCHING, A BATTLEMECH MAY MAKE TWO CLAW ATTACKS PER TURN (ONE FOR EACH ARM)." <--uber melee weapon

Dual Saw-

BV-9 cost-100,000
Weight = 7
Crit = 7
Damage = 7
Heat = 1
Replaces hand actuator, one per arm, only one may attack per round, follows standard club attack rules +1 to hit, only to hit modifiers apply from damages actuators, TSM does not apply.

Flail-

BV-11 cost-110,000
Weight = 5
Crit = 4
Damage = 9
Heat = 0
Replaces hand actuator, requires upper and lower arm actuactors at construction, one per arm, follows standard club attack rules +1 to hit, only to hit modifiers apply from damages actuators, TSM does not apply. a to hit roll of 2 means the attacker struck himself-half normal damage-fromt battlemech hit location table + a piloting skill roll to avoid fall.

Mace-

BV-Dmg*1 cost-130,000
Weight = Tons/10 (round up)
Crit = Tons/10 (round up)
Damage = Tons/4 <--awsome!
Heat = 0
Requires hand actuator, one per arm, only one may attack per round, follows standard club attack rules +2 to hit, dammage/to-hit monified by arm/shoulder actuator damage and TSM. a missed attack must make a piloting skill roll to avoid falling +2.

Pile Driver-

BV-5 cost-100,000
Weight = 10
Crit = 8
Damage = 9
Heat = 0
Replaces hand and lower arm actuators, one per arm, follows standard club attack rules +3 to hit, only to hit modifiers apply from damages actuators, TSM dose not apply.

Lances-

BV-Dmg*1 cost-ton*150
Weight = Tons/20 (round up)
Crit = Tons/20 (round up)
Damage = Tons/5 (round up)
Heat = 0
Does not require hand actuator, one per arm, only one may attack per round, follows standard club attack rules +2 to hit, dammage/to-hit monified by arm/shoulder actuator damage and TSM. After each hit, if armor remains, roll 2D6, on 10+ the lance inflicts 1 point of internal dammage to the location struck. roll critical with a -2 modifier. if no armor reamined after the inital attack or the intial attack went internal, roll critical as normal, unmodified.

Wrecking Ball-

BV-8 cost-80,000
Weight = 4
Crit = 5
Damage = 8
Heat = 0
Replaces hand actuator, requires upper and lower arm actuactors at construction, one per arm, follows standard club attack rules +2 to hit, only to hit modifiers apply from damages actuators, TSM dose not apply. a to hit roll of 2 means the attacker struck himself-half normal damage-fromt battlemech hit location table and a piloting skill roll to avoid fall.

Vibroblades-

BV-12-17-24 cost-150,000 - 400,000 - 750,000
Size = Small/Medium/Large
Weight = 3/5/7
Crit = 1/2/4
Damage = 7/10/14
Heat = 3/5/7
When activated vibroswords deal the set damage and heat listed above(damage not modified by damaged actuactors or TSM, +'s to hit still apply), when turned off function as normal swords. a loophole exists here as a 100 ton mech can have a 3 ton small vibrosword turned off and it function as a normal sword that should weigh 5 tons, 7 crits. exploit this at your own risk. even the large vibroblade is one less crit...?

Spikes-

BV-4(defensive value only) cost-Ton*50
Weight = 0.5
Crit = 1
Damage = 2
Heat = n/a
May be mounted in any location, one per location(one per torso covers front and rear), a critical hit destroys the spikes, when a physical attack hits a location equiped with spikes reduce the damage by 4(minimum of 1 dammage), also, the attacker takes 2 points of damage to the body location that delivered the damage, if more than one location delivered the damage, devide it evenly. when charging, if any of the attackers torso location containing spikes are damagedby him charging, increace the charge damage by 4 for each. Any time a spike is used in any form roll 2D6 on a 9+ the spike is destroyed(mark the critical slot as destroyed).

Shields-

BV-50-135-263(defensive value only) cost-50,000 - 100,000 - 300,000
Size = Smsll/Medium/Large
Weight = 6/4/2
Crit = 7/5/3
Damage Absorption = 3/5/7
Damage Capacity = 11/18/25
Bash Modifier = -1/-2/-3
Movement Cost = 0/-1/-1
One shield per arm, may mount another size in the other arm. once the shield is destroyed, movement penalties are removed. movement penalties are cumulative from 2 med/lrg shields. shields absorb damage from weapons fire and physical attacks not including charge and DFA. for ever critical hit to the shield reduce the damage capacity by 5 and damage absorption by 1. also reduce the damage absorption rating by 1 for each arm actuactor hit, 2 for a shoulder hit.

Players must designate during the Weapon attack phase wheather or not a mech is using the shield for active or passive defense or no defense at all.

Active Defense Mode-

protects the shield arm, nearest side torso(front or back), center torso(front only), head and nearest leg. absorbs damage equal to its absorption rating from each weapon/physical attack striking a protected location. no weapons attacks from a protected location. a shield bash attack cannot be made in active defense mode.

Passive Defense Mode-

only protects the shield arm and the nearest side torso(front only). weapons iring froma protected location reciece a +2 to hit modifier. absorbs dammage equal to the damage absorption rating.

No Defense Mode-

only protects the mounted arm, may not be used for bash attacks, +1 to hit for weapons in the shield arm.

Damage absorption-
a large shield with a absorb rating of 7 will totally absorb a 5 point medium laser hit. reduce the dmage capicity by one, from 25 to 24. an IS PPC will be reduced by 7, and pass 3 damage on to the mechs armor as normal, reduce the damage capicity by one, from 24 to 23. a lbx or lrm or srm that spreads damage arround is a little sifferent. the shield will absorb up to 7 points that strike protected locations, the rest pass through normally and only 1 point is marked off the damage capacity. 1 missile from an srm 2 and 20 1 point fragments from an lb20x both reduce the damage capacity by 1 each.

Shield Bash-

When in passive defense mode the shield can be used to bash your oponent. treated as a standard club attack pluss the bash modifier(looks like a negative to hit bonus to me), + to hit for damages actuactors, not modified by TSM, dealing damage equal to its current damage absorption rating. one shield bash per turn.
TBA
Askhati
06/09/07 03:26 PM

Interesting... What about portable 'Mech guns, where the 'Mech can carry a separate weapon and ammo, and uses it with both hands? Sort of like an over-sized rifle of sorts.
Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/09/07 11:02 PM

similar in look to the old wolverine, pheonix hawk or battlemaster's hand held guns? this is always possible in fluf as we all know. are you speaking of making this as some sort of new thing? like a modular item similar to pods of an omni? or am i misunderstanding you? so far we have stuck with conventional rules and not added anything new. i concidered allowing all ice mechs to come with superchargers at no cost/weight(just like MASC but the whole engine quits when it fails, not just the legs as in masc). sort of an advanced ice.

this idea had crossed my mind quite some time ago. like 10+ years ago back in highschool. after looking at the wolverines ac/5 and ammo clip in the left hand... i thought about a mech-SRM6 shooter....hehehe
TBA
SCUM
06/10/07 12:05 AM

I think he is asking if handheld weapons (non melee) would be compatable with your new environment's storyline.
Jer 33:3
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Promo Code:scumsentme
Tripod
06/10/07 02:05 AM

i guess the bit about using both hands is whats confusing me. if it's somethign along the lines of the pheonix hawks large laser, thats totaly acceptable. if it's not then i need more info.

as far as the storyline goes it is acceptable. remember, there was an influx of wisdom into this scociety in the form of modern, star leage era pople. some of their beliefs and concepts will survive. not every design will have the feudal there and not every one will be ICE. Fusion designs are welcome too.
TBA
Askhati
06/10/07 09:21 AM

I was refering to having a completely separate weapon, following the rules set out in either MaxTech or Tactifcal Handbook. It is excluded from the 'Mech's construction parameters, and is limited only by its weight (which will determine whether a certain class of 'Mech will be able to pick it up). And with a lifting capacity at 10% of the 'Mech's weight, this means a 100-tonner can carry up to ten tons of external weaponry in its arms, rifle-style.
Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/10/07 10:35 AM

that sounds like it would help the ICE's out alot. does TSM modify this to 20% of the mechs weight? also what about heat/ammo/power connections(converters for ICE's)? lol, i own both of those books and i've missed that rule all together. they are at a friends house, with the bulk of my BT stuff...
TBA
SCUM
06/10/07 12:03 PM

According to MaxTech 1st edition:

CONSTRUCTION
Each hand-heald weapon must be completely self contained--that is, it must include any heat sinks and ammunition required to fire the weapon as well as the weapon itself A hand-held weapon can also mount standard armor at the usual cost in tonnage. Hand-held weapons are too compact to make use of double heat sinks or other special types of heat sinks (or armor). Finnaly, hand-held weapons may not be linked to targetting computers or other systems in the mech carrying them (for example, an artemis IV FCS mounted in the arm).

Example: A hand-held SRM-2 weighs 1 ton + at least 1 ton of ammunition + 2 heat sinks weighing 1 ton each + any armor desired, in this case 8 pts weighing 0.5 tons = 4.5 tons

or

3x SLas = 1.5t + 3 HS = 3t + 0 armor = total weight 4.5t

ATTACKS(paraphrased)
Hand-held weapons must be carried according to rules for BattleMech Lifting Capabilities.
May be fired as a standard arm-mounted weapon.
However, it is carried in both arms and can only fire in front firing arc.
Damage to arm actuators in either arm will affect firing as though it were arm-mounted, culminative for both arms.
If the mech takes critical hits leaving it with no functioning hand actuators, the weapon is dropped at the end of phase crits were taken.
Weapon does'nt generate heat (carries own sinks).
Only uses ammo from it's own supply, can't use ammo from mech even if for same weapon.
Can only carry one hand-held weapon, they may consist of multiple weapon inside the weapon itself.
All weapons mounted in hand-held weapon must fire at the same target, though not all weapons have to be fired if weapon is used.

DAMAGE(paraphrased)
Mech damage to arm, roll 1d6, on 1 or 6 weapon is hit instead of arm.
Mech damage to front center torso, roll 1d6, on 6 weapon is hit instead.
If weapon is armored, mark of appropriate armor damage, excess damage destroys weapon.
Weapon is destroyed by any internal damage, as it HAS no internals other than the weapon itself.
Mech remains undamaged by a hit against hand-held weapon.

DROPPING(paraphrased)
Weapon may be dropped or picked up from ground at any end phase.
Cannot drop and pickup a weapon in same phase.
If mech falls, it may drop weapon, piloting roll required to not drop w/ usual mods +1 for each damaged or missing arm actuator.
If weapon is dropped, it may not be picked up untill end phase of following turn.
A dropped weapon immediately ceases to function.
It can't be attacked while on the ground.
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Tripod
06/10/07 07:18 PM

"Hand-held weapons must be carried according to rules for BattleMech Lifting Capabilities."
so does TSM double the available tonage for hand held weapons?

i assume targeting and power connections are made through the hand connection, thats why once it's dropped and picked back up it does not function... no mention of power converters...but ICEs are so rare in regular combat....more like nonexistant...

yup, SRM 6 Shooter/w laser sight!

1 SRM 6 3T
1 Ton of ammo 1T
1 Small Laser (sight : ) ) 0.5T
5 Heat Sinks 5T
0.5 Tons of Armor 0.5T
---
10T

thats kinda crazy though... unlimited crits means some fool will mount like 38 clan MG's on one of these things...with less than 3 shots each...

but adding 3 mg's, or a small laser with some armor is a big help to a 20 ton mech.
TBA

Edited by Tripod (06/10/07 07:20 PM)
SCUM
06/10/07 11:22 PM

TSM only doubles lifting capabilities when running 9 heat or higher. So it would not be able to start out with a double weight weapon.

The way the rules read, it looks like it might be possible to fire your weapon if you pick it back up. Considering that many of these rules are optional, it is up to the creator of the world as to if they can function if picked up.
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Tripod
06/11/07 12:21 AM

i thought you got +1 walking and double damage physical attacks whith 9+ heat but always has the 2X lifting? what about industrial TSM? probly only usable by workmechs, i know. does it require the heat to be activated?
TBA
Askhati
06/11/07 06:43 AM

Well, for a 20t 'Mech you could get 2 MG's, half a ton of ammo and half a ton of armor as a two-ton portable weapon. Useful against infantry, I would think.
Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/11/07 07:17 AM

Mag Shots would work nicely in these too. they are mini gauss, 3-6-9 2 dammage, 1 heat, 50 shots/ton, 0.5 tons itself. same gauss properties, inert ammo, 20 dammage from the weapon on a crit. from the solaris map pack with those new melee weapons. it also has the fuid gun someone posted about awhile back.

so it would take up to a 40 ton mech to get a hand held medium laser...sheesh...

and those 2 extra mg's on that 20 ton mech you mentioned will be more than just usefull against infantry. these ICE mechs will end up in brawls most likely. with low speeds most come with high armor for survivability sacrificing weaponry making them last even longer. im not a fan of rifleman type mechs, bristleing with weapons and paper this armor. never seen this phylosophy work out in combat. most if the designs i come up with seem to favor the banshee approach, favoring speed and armor over weaponry. i know 4/6 and 3/5 are slow, but thats good speed in the ICE scope of things. maybe we are not good players. any coments on that(not that we stink at BT, about the rifleman design approach...hehe), it's quite relevant to this thread.
TBA
SCUM
06/11/07 12:15 PM

I don't have any material covering industrial TSM.

I was just thinking of how well The handheld weapons could work swords & hatchets.
7t Hatchet for 100 tonner + 3t armor = 10t hatchet
5t sword for 100 tonner + 2t armor + 2.5t 5x MG + 0.5t ammo = 10t sword
1t sword for 20 tonner + 0.5t armor = 1.5t
2t hatchet for 30 tonner + 1t armor = 3t
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Tripod
06/12/07 12:13 AM

yea, the though of using this for melee weapon crossed my mind but it seemed abusive of this rule as i dont think it was intended for melee style weapons. i dont have the exact print of the words in the manual to hand to my rules lawyer to make a ruleing... : )

..."it must include any heat sinks and ammunition required to ""fire"" the weapon"...

inital ruleing is negative... i'd like a clarification on that though...

i think the shields are really going to make these mechs(any design for that mater) much more survivable... i cant wait to see to mechs with melee weapons and shields bashing away at each other...
TBA
JackGarrity
06/12/07 11:07 PM

IS: LVL3: Tons: 65. FT:0. MH:8. HD:10. CF:22 BV:-01,582. Cost:3,122,048 BV:-02, 578. Cost:3,346,448.

Pls-01 Ploughshare

Power Plant: Unknown 195 ICE
Cruising Speed: 32.25
Maximum Speed: 53.75
Armor: Unknown with CASE and CASE II
Armament:
1 MRM 10
1 Autocannon/2

Pls-01 Ploughshare

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 6.5
Engine: 195 ICE 16
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Armor Factor: 130 8.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 21 15
Center Torso(rear) 6
R/L Torso 15 10
R/L Torso(rear) 5
R/L Arm 10 14
R/L Leg 15 21

Sword LA 5 3.5
Autocannon/2 LT 1 6
Autocannon/2 Ammo LT 2 2
CASE LT 1 0.5
MRM 10 RA 2 3
MRM 10 Ammo RA 3 3
CASE II RA 1 1

----

Pls-02 Ploughshare

Power Plant: Unknown 195 ICE
Armor: Unknown with CASE and CASE II
Armament:
2 Light AC/2s
2 SRM 2s

Pls-02 Ploughshare

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 6.5
Engine: 195 ICE 16
Armor Factor: 130 8.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 21 15
Center Torso(rear) 6
R/L Torso 15 10
R/L Torso(rear) 5
R/L Arm 10 14
R/L Leg 15 21

Sword LA 5 3.5
SRM 2 LT 1 1
SRM 2 Ammo LT 1 1
CASE LT 1 0.5
SRM 2 RT 1 1
SRM 2 Ammo RT 1 1
Light AC/2 RA 1 4
Light AC/2 RA 1 4
Light AC/2 Ammo RA 2 2
CASE II RA 1 1
Greetings Mechwarrior.
JackGarrity
06/12/07 11:12 PM

You want fluffy fuedal mechs, I mgiht be able to spin you some, if can get some information on the factions that make up the world, size of said factions, general location, like say is some of them living in a giant swampland, others roam the plains, etc. Irl persons asked me to make some Knights of the Round style mechs, 12 units, specalized around a single weapon of some kind, so my brains in that kinda zone.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
Tripod
06/12/07 11:29 PM

1st off, TY for the addition.

what design program are you using Jack?

3 questions about the designs...

1, are swords rounded to the nearest 1/2 ton?

2, you design has 10 heat sinks, was this on pourpose or because your program wont let a mech have less than 10? i have TDB and it wont allow less than 10 HS but we, and i believe the rules, allow less than 10 for ICE engins. Either Fuel Cell or Fission only come with 5 HS, see if it forces 10 on your program. my TDB does not have those engine typesto check.

3, i am not running this campaign so i dont know what the future holds. as of now i've been tasked to design level 1 ICE and fusion mechs. your submissions have level 3 tech on them. fairly easy to work arround. who knows what the future hold on this campaign, it would be silly not to evolve into level 2 and 3 even clan tech.
TBA
Tripod
06/12/07 11:39 PM

hehe, both posting at the same time.

i'm still waiting on the bulk of that info myself. basicly the world (one system 5 planets+moons) resembles a small microchasm of the inner spher's succession wars. there is a king, with no ehirs, gravely ill with 5 dukes all ready to succeed him after he passess.

not sure if each duke has his only planet or if they intermingle on each, or some of them. i do know the GM said he wants the different dukes to have different designs, some sporting mostly missile, some mostly energy, some mostly balictic. this being because one duke may only have weapon factories producing srm's. any lasers featured on his production mechs would need to be bartered for from a neighboring duke. this meaning any weapon can be used on any dukes mech, but they would lean heavily on what they have the most access to. unfortunately i dont have specific info, even as to names of the dukes. feel free to come up with things on your own. it can be adapted to fit what he has in mind, by slightly changing our fluff, or yours.
TBA
Drasnighta
06/13/07 08:43 AM

Some BattleMechs as Requested... All Medium Weight - 50, 45, 45, 55... All with ICE Engines and Ballistic/Missile Weapons only. They're listed on HMP as Level 3 only for the ICE Engine, they are otherwise outfitted with Level1 Technology.

I even threw in the Low-Armour-High-Weapons sort of design - the Paradox - but at least made its weapons (just a little) better than a Riflemans.

Feel free to send me a Message if there's anything else in Particular you're after... I just got my Internet back after a long spell gone, and I'm itchin' to be Postin'....

=======================

BattleMech Technical Readout

Type/Model: Gambit (Prototype)
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3132
Config: Biped BattleMech
Rules: Level 3, Custom design

Mass: 50 tons
Chassis: Standard
Power Plant: 150 I.C.E.
Walking Speed: 32.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h

Armament:
1 Autocannon/10
3 Machine Guns
Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Gambit (Prototype)
Mass: 50 tons

Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: 83 pts Standard 0 5.00
Engine: 150 I.C.E. 6 11.00
Heat Sinks: 2 Single 2 2.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 2 RT)
Gyro: 4 2.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 5 3.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA+H R: Sh+UA+LA 15 .00
Armor Factor: 168 pts Standard 0 10.50

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 16 23
Center Torso (Rear): 8
L/R Side Torso: 12 18/18
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 6/6
L/R Arm: 8 16/16
L/R Leg: 12 24/24

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
1 Autocannon/10 RA 3 20 9 14.00
(Ammo Locations: 2 RA)
3 Machine Guns LT 0 200 4 2.50
(Ammo Locations: 1 LT)
TOTALS: 3 45 50.00
Crits & Tons Left: 33 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 2,379,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 642

A Medium workhorse design, the Gambit is so named by its

'MechWarriors for being a bit of an all-or-nothing on the

BattleField. In a close range slugfest, the Gambit performs

admirably - its twenty Magazines of 10-Rated Autocannon ammunition

serve it well to tear enemies to pieces in a short amount of time,

while its backup of 3 .50 Calibre Machine Guns keeps people from

getting too close - especially with great rents torn in their armour.

However, the Gambit's fall is always a risk - With a lot of

ammunition and no backup weaponry, warriors often fall prey to simply

exhausting themselves, and having to withdraw - relying only on the

'Mechs one heavily armoured BattleFist for protection.

It does however, dedicate over a Tenth of its Weight to Armour alone

- giving it a better chance to survive long enough to withdraw.

========================================================

Type/Model: Renegade (Prototype)

Mass: 45 tons
Power Plant: 225 I.C.E.
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor Type: Standard
Armament:
2 SRM 4s
2 Machine Guns

Type/Model: Renegade (Prototype)

Int. Struct.: 75 pts Standard 0 4.50
Engine: 225 I.C.E. 6 20.00
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Heat Sinks: 3 Single 3 3.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 1 HD, 1 LT, 1 RT)
Gyro: 4 3.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA+H R: Sh+UA+LA+H 16 .00
Armor Factor: 80 pts Standard 0 5.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 8
Center Torso: 14 10
Center Torso (Rear): 4
L/R Side Torso: 11 8/8
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 3/3
L/R Arm: 7 7/7
L/R Leg: 11 11/11

1 SRM 4 RT 3 25 2 3.00
(Ammo Locations: 1 CT)
1 Machine Gun RT 0 100 2 1.00
1 SRM 4 LT 3 1 2.00
1 Machine Gun LT 0 1 .50
TOTALS: 6 40 45.00
Crits & Tons Left: 38 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 2,584,552 C-Bills
Battle Value: 429

The Renegade was designed originally as a Striker 'Mech. Once

enemies had been weakened by fire from other designs, or in long

range slugfests, the Renegade would move in swiftly to provide the

killing blows to the enemy. However, in the current age of Duel

based warfare, the Renegade has been relegated to second line

systems. Many believe that 'Mechs are the Kings of the BattleField,

and removing your enemies 'Mechs is the easiest way to destroy their

capability to perform warfare - thus, the Renegade has its place -

although even its Name shows its not always appreciated.

Type/Model: Renegade-LR (Prototype)

Power Plant: 225 I.C.E.
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Armament:
2 LRM 5s
2 Machine Guns

Type/Model: Renegade-LR (Prototype)

Int. Struct.: 75 pts Standard 0 4.50
Engine: 225 I.C.E. 6 20.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 1 HD, 1 LT, 1 RT)
Armor Factor: 80 pts Standard 0 5.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Center Torso: 14 10
Center Torso (Rear): 4
L/R Side Torso: 11 8/8
L/R Arm: 7 7/7
L/R Leg: 11 11/11

1 LRM 5 RT 2 24 2 3.00
1 LRM 5 LT 2 1 2.00
1 Machine Gun LT 0 1 .50
TOTALS: 4 40 45.00
Crits & Tons Left: 38 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 2,501,902 C-Bills
Battle Value: 464

In trying to increase the favourability of the Renegade, an

auspicious warrior ordered the replacement of his Short Range missile

Racks to longer ranged varieties - which suddenly turned his Renegade

into an effective, if ammunition dependant - duelling 'Mech.

Peppering the enemy at range, he had to be very careful of his

ammunition supply - striking only when capable of dealing damage,

without damage being dealt in return.

=================================================================

Type/Model: Paradox (Prototype)

Mass: 55 tons
Power Plant: 220 I.C.E.
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Armament:
2 Machine Guns
1 LRM 15
1 SRM 4

Type/Model: Paradox (Prototype)
Mass: 55 tons

Int. Struct.: 91 pts Standard 0 5.50
Engine: 220 I.C.E. 6 20.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
(Heat Sink Loc: 1 HD, 2 LT)
Armor Factor: 112 pts Standard 0 7.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Center Torso: 18 21
Center Torso (Rear): 1
L/R Side Torso: 13 17/17
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 1/1
L/R Arm: 9 10/10
L/R Leg: 13 13/13

1 LRM 15 RT 5 16 5 9.00
(Ammo Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT)
1 Machine Gun LT 0 1 .50
1 SRM 4 CT 3 25 2 3.00
TOTALS: 8 44 55.00
Crits & Tons Left: 34 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 3,202,249 C-Bills
Battle Value: 536

The Paradox is aptly named - the 'Mech has some wonderful selling

points, but they are all counterbalanced by downpoints provided

elsewhere in the design. To name a few, the Paradox sports an ample

ammunition supply for its weapons, to allow judicious firing - but

instead lacks sufficient heat sink capacity to quickly disperse its

heat buildup, restricting your rates of fire. Its armour is slabbed

to the front to provide additional capacity while duelling - yet it

sports below average armour for its size. It has weapons for all

ranges and situations, but lacks a dependable backup weapon for when

ammunition runs low - also, it misses out on valuable rear armour for

when it must withdraw from the Battlefield.

Although the Paradox is a jack of all, master of none - it has

occasionally been praised for always having SOMETHING positive to

give - even amongst all of the potential negatives.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Tripod
06/13/07 03:15 PM

Thank you kindly. i'd like your opinions on the deuling... something similar to the clan ROE? the thought of something along these lines has wafted in and out of my thoughts over the last few weeks...

I will search out this "HMP" once i get a nap, been up 21 hours now but my 4 day weekend had started!!! woohoo!
TBA
Drasnighta
06/14/07 05:05 AM

Yeah, something similar to the Clanner Zellbringen-wotsit Rules of Engagement-Thingies - but then, the Clans seem to still bring enough to deal with the problem the old-fasioned way if they HAVE to, whereas in this situation they simply won't have enough to bring to overwhelm - one or two 'Mechs is going to carry the day here...

I see them potentially only sending out one or two 'Mechs as part of an official challenge to settle it - and only have the Infantry and Vehicles there to clean up afterwards - very much like Jousting Knights and their Footmen. With energy weapons being rare, and ICE being the way to go - You're looking at high damage only at short range - so 'Mechs may still have the manouverability to evade everything but Ambushes.

But of course, War is Dirty - which is why the occasional 'Mech or Vehicle (such as the Renegade) should be geared to fight dirty...
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Drasnighta
06/14/07 05:31 AM

Of course, having more information about the world would be very useful. These are stabs in the Dark at concepts I'd come up with if forced into that setting.

Type/Model: Blaze (Prototype)

Mass: 40 tons
Power Plant: 160 I.C.E.
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Armament:
2 Machine Guns
4 Flamer (Vehicle)s

Type/Model: Blaze (Prototype)
Mass: 40 tons

Int. Struct.: 67 pts Standard 0 4.00
Engine: 160 I.C.E. 6 12.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Heat Sinks: 8 Single 8 8.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 1 HD, 3 LT, 3 RT, 1 CT)
Armor Factor: 88 pts Standard 0 5.50

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 5
Center Torso: 12 12
Center Torso (Rear): 3
L/R Side Torso: 10 10/10
L/R Arm: 6 8/8
L/R Leg: 10 13/13

2 Flamer (Vehicle)s RT 6 40 4 3.00
1 Machine Gun LT 0 1 .50
2 Flamer (Vehicle)s LT 6 2 1.00
TOTALS: 12 48 40.00
Crits & Tons Left: 30 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 1,809,594 C-Bills
Battle Value: 312

Based originally on an ancient and half-destroyed Firestarter chassis, the Blaze is the best attempt to create a duplicate with less than half of the technology base. As Energy based weapons begin to make their way into the field, the Blaze was engineered to capture the technology intact.

However, the designers may have missed their mark in designing it. Although fitted with four Napalm throwing Vehicle Flamers, and a judicious amount of Fuel, the Blaze lacks its own Heat Sinks to be able to dump them continously. Additionally, the fuel tanks are inadequately temperature shielded, meaning that the Blaze in combat conditions can often be reduced to a blazing fireball of its own.

However, against infantry - nothing is more terrifying than the Blaze. Able to cut and burn swathes through the Enemy with ease.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Askhati
06/14/07 02:30 PM

I think having a handheld melee weapon should be fine, as there is nothing in the rules to disallow it. The only pro of actually integrating the weapon into the chassis itself would be that a handheld weapon requires the use of both arms, while a integrated weapon only uses one arm. Carrying the weapon separately will also limit the use of weaponry in the 'Mech's arms, while an integrated design could use both the melee weapon and any other ranged weapons in the other arm simultaneously.

For the use of shields - since the 'Mech has to use both arms to lift that 10%, what happens to the melee weapon it has in its hand? Or is the lifting capability reduced to 5% if it uses only one arm?
Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/14/07 05:35 PM

i would think if you used a hand held(2 handed) melee weapon shields would be almost useless. yes, a shield could be moundes in one arm. but would only be able to be used in "no defence mode"

"No Defense Mode-

only protects the mounted arm, may not be used for bash attacks, +1 to hit for weapons in the shield arm.
"
fairly useless, untill the hand held melee weapon is destroyed, or dropped. then other sheld modes could be used as well as shield bash attacks. but, we seem to be verging into house/coustom rules.

where is a good place to get rules clarifications? such as, the new solaris VII map pack rules for maces state a mace weighs and takes up tons/crit of tonage/10. meaning a 10 ton/10 crit mace for a 100 tone mech???? cant be. only 8 crits in the arm. club rules state a shoulder and hand be present, guess you could drop the uppers and lower arm actuactors....lol...j/k
TBA
Karagin
06/14/07 10:24 PM

I guess either at CBT and hope that Randal actually answers the question...or post it on the different sites and maybe someone can post the page in which book etc..
Karagin

Tripod
06/15/07 02:16 PM

does anyone have the pdf og the tech manual? if so, does it cover the odd-ball melee weapons mentioned in the map pack, such as the mace. if so, what does it say on tons/crit...

i DO have the solaris book and the crit = tons/10 witch make it impossible for larger assault mechs to mount them. was this on pourpose, or accidental? i cannot find maces mentioned in any other book i have...

tactical handbook says it follows standard hatchet rules but does 2 points for every 5 tons of the mech(ouch, 80 points with TSM - only 50 points under the new solaris rules, assuming a 100 ton mech can somehow mount one). meaning at 100 tons it 7 tons 7 crit. 6.66667 rounded up
TBA
SCUM
06/15/07 02:43 PM

I think that this was an oversight, if it were my game I would allow mechs to mount it (who otherwise couldn't) by having a crit cap at 8.
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Drasnighta
06/16/07 05:41 AM

Quote:

does anyone have the pdf og the tech manual?

I do, and It doesn't. It only has the Hatchet and Sword as Melee weapons, and although it gives details for Industrial stuff - Arc Welder, Combine, etc - they're less useful than even the Hatchet and Sword.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
JackGarrity
06/17/07 11:27 AM

sorry ive been working, blagh,, yeah TDB v 2.0.1.etc, wont let me drop it past the ten hskinks, though,,. how do you put in power converters into the readout, I see the power amps option from when a ICE is used, but not sure how to add taht component, have an idea or two for some energy mechs.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
JackGarrity
06/17/07 11:40 AM

2 mechs, the Dragonsbreath is a laser eq'd mech , 55 tons. the Falchion is 75 tons.

Dragonsbreath.

Power Plant: Unknown 165 ICE
Armament:
1 Large Laser
2 Machine Guns

Dragonsbreath.

Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 2
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 5.5
Engine: 165 ICE 12
Armor Factor: 152 9.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 18 24
Center Torso(rear) 9
R/L Torso 13 16
R/L Torso(rear) 4
R/L Arm 9 17
R/L Leg 13 18

Large Laser LA 2 5
TSM LA 2 0
Machine Gun LT 1 0.5
Machine Gun Ammo LT 1 1
TSM LT 1 0
Machine Gun RT 1 0.5
Machine Gun Ammo RT 1 1
TSM RT 1 0
Hatchet RA 4 4
TSM RA 2 0

Falchion

Power Plant: Unknown 225 ICE
Armor: Unknown with CASE
Armament:
1 Rotary AC/2
1 LRM 10
1 Machine Gun

Falchion

Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 2
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 7.5
Engine: 225 ICE 20
Gyro: 3
Armor Factor: 160 10

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 23 22
Center Torso(rear) 9
R/L Torso 16 16
R/L Torso(rear) 9
R/L Arm 12 17
R/L Leg 16 18

Rotary AC/2 LA 3 8
Rotary AC/2 Ammo LT 3 3
CASE LT 1 0.5
LRM 10 RT 2 5
LRM 10 Ammo RT 2 2
Machine Gun Ammo RT 2 2
CASE RT 1 0.5
Machine Gun RA 1 0.5
Greetings Mechwarrior.
Tripod
06/18/07 01:03 AM

i dont have that design program. i copied and pasted someone elses mech and entered my own spec's crits, tonages locations and such. i do have TDB to do the actual designing but i have not found any output option to paste a design here. TDB does add in power convertors in one ton incraments, or at the actual 10% of the energy weapons weight with the level 3 fractional accounting option selected. i did that energy mech to fit in the limitations on TDB, not letting me go under 10 HS so i made it use them all and being level 1 it does not allow fractional accounting, do i gave it exactly 10 tons of enery weapons, requireing exactly 1 ton of convertor. i nee to name that one, i like it.

btw, convertors take 10% energy weapon weight, and 0 critical.

i added up the weights on your dragonsbreath mech and came up with 54 tons. i assume your program has added 1 ton on power convertor. it shows this in a notes/coments section in TDB. i'd bet if you move it to level 3 tech and pick factional accounting it's weigh a half ton less. the larger laser only requires a .5 ton convertor. you coudl add an extra MG or armor or whatever. i'd have no probelms with a level 3 mech that uses all level 1 tech. thats how most are doing it. i see the TSM and rotary AC, we are starting in level 1 tech and moving forward as we progress. the desings by you and others that have this will be used eventually. probly "downgraded" to fit and "upgraded" as the tech becomes available.

ty for your input
TBA
Drasnighta
06/18/07 04:52 AM

The Nightfall and Nightfall II - I read somewhere people were debating which is better, an LRM-20 or 4xLRM-5s... Take these out and judge for yourself... The BV of the II is slightly higher, only because of its extra Armour... If you drop the armour to Original Nightfall Levels, and spend the 2 Tons in Additional Heat Sinks again, its BV is something like 734... So its all down to the specific Pilot.

Wanting to know if there is anything specific you're after, or if I could get 'in' on any fluff, so I can customise the designs I have befittingly.

- Dras

Type/Model: Nightfall (Prototype)

Mass: 70 tons
Power Plant: 140 I.C.E.
Walking Speed: 21.6 km/h
Maximum Speed: 32.4 km/h
Armament:
2 LRM 20s
2 SRM 4s

Type/Model: Nightfall (Prototype)

Int. Struct.: 107 pts Standard 0 7.00
Engine: 140 I.C.E. 6 10.00
Heat Sinks: 8 Single 8 8.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 4 LT, 4 RT)
Actuators: L: Sh+UA R: Sh+UA 12 .00
Armor Factor: 176 pts Standard 0 11.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Center Torso: 22 26
Center Torso (Rear): 9
L/R Side Torso: 15 18/18
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 6/6
L/R Arm: 11 18/18
L/R Leg: 15 24/24

1 LRM 20 RT 6 24 9 14.00
(Ammo Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT)
1 SRM 4 RT 3 25 2 3.00
1 LRM 20 LT 6 5 10.00
1 SRM 4 LT 3 1 2.00
TOTALS: 18 52 70.00
Crits & Tons Left: 26 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 3,871,466 C-Bills
Battle Value: 754

The Nightfall is a 'mech designed with a purpose. With no way of aquiring Autocannon, or heaven forbid - laser - technology, the designers began work on trying to create a 'Mech anagalous to a Catapult or Crusader design. Although slower and heavier, the Nightfall packs an incredible amount of missile firepower... At standard rates of fire, the Nightfall has enough ammunition for 2 minutes of continual firing - 4 minutes if it expends its long range missiles before closing within 120 meters. This continual amount of fire can be easily directed by the 'Mechwarrior in what is considered a spacious and luxurious Cockpit. The Nightfall however, does have a significant problem with Heat - the barrages must be carefully timed to avoid the 'Mech pushing beyond its limits.

Rumours abound however, of an improvement in missile systems, which allow a 'choke' on the amount fired in a volley, and it is suggested that the Nightfall may be the first 'Mech to pioneer the new system.

Type/Model: Nightfall II (Prototype)

Power Plant: 140 I.C.E.
Armament:
8 LRM 5s
2 SRM 4s

Type/Model: Nightfall II (Prototype)

Int. Struct.: 107 pts Standard 0 7.00
Engine: 140 I.C.E. 6 10.00
Heat Sinks: 10 Single 10 10.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 5 LT, 5 RT)
Armor Factor: 208 pts Standard 0 13.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Center Torso: 22 31
Center Torso (Rear): 10
L/R Side Torso: 15 22/22
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 7/7
L/R Arm: 11 21/21
L/R Leg: 15 29/29

4 LRM 5s RT 8 96 8 12.00
(Ammo Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT)
1 SRM 4 RT 3 25 2 3.00
4 LRM 5s LT 8 4 8.00
1 SRM 4 LT 3 1 2.00
TOTALS: 22 56 70.00
Crits & Tons Left: 22 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 3,501,206 C-Bills
Battle Value: 779

The Nightfall II is a modified Nightfall BattleMech, to incorporate the new HazeLaunch Long Range Missile system. Instead of two massive missile launchers, the designers came up with a system using multiple ammunition feed systems, which the 'Mechwarrior can throttle on and off before he launches - dictating his heat buildup and ammunition consumption. In total, the HazeLaunch system has met with mixed success. Although being less weight than the original LRM-20 system, and even taking up less critical space, the launchers generate more heat than their originator does at full launch capacity, This problem is offset by allowing the 'Mechwarrior to throttle back his firepower, to cool down, instead of giving him an All-or-Nothing option. Additionally, the HazeLauncher is more resistant to direct damage, with individual tube systems having their own redundant feed and damage control systems, effectively shutting off the damaged parts without compromising the systems as a whole. (The designers at this stage seem to be nothing but full of hot air, spinning a story - for all intents and purposes, the HazeLauncher is merely 4 LRM-5 systems masquerading as a single LRM-20 system - just for those who wanted to debate which is better...)

Because of the changes in the HazeLauncher size and shape, the designers attempted to offset the extra heat generated by installing additional heat sinks in between the Primary long range and Secondary short range missile launchers, while still chosing to maintain the excessive amounts of ammunition on board. The leftover tonnage went to additional armour plating, to increase the survivability of the Nightfall.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Tripod
06/18/07 07:52 AM

yea, that was actually my post about the 4 lrm 5's. i didn't even think about the extra survivability of doing it that way. although, one poster on that thread did point out that the munchkins use them that way in order to get more chances of a critical hit. i preffer the "Hazelaunch System" for the extra heatsinks that can be used alternativly for the short range weapons systems.

i like your design, btw, 3-5 is quite average, in the ICE comunity...even a verging on above average. 5-8 is about the fastest you will see one go, that carries any weaponry or armor at all.
TBA
JackGarrity
06/18/07 10:41 AM

cool, I learned seomthing, Id been wondering how it does the power converters for a while actually, thanks , hmm a LVl3 using Lvl1tech, is clan gear alright as long as its nothing insane? like using clan LRM pod or something to squeeze a little more range out? or do we want to stick with straight up IS hardware.
Greetings Mechwarrior.
Askhati
06/18/07 03:26 PM

I like the idea of having dukes/factions with monopolies on some weapons, could create some very specific factional designs. What about all those fancy Lvl2 sensor equipment like TAG's, active probes, ECMs, etc? Can we use them yet, or are they still taboo? Also, what about IndustrialMechs - are they available, and if so, what would their limitations be in this universe?
Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
06/18/07 07:15 PM

the level 3 using level 1 tech was simply to gain use of fractional accounting, .25 tons of armor, and .10 ton convertors and such. no tonage left unused.

as far as level 2+ and clan tech... this subject was talked about only briefly. it has been said for sure that as the game progresses level 2, and probly 3 IS tech will work it's way into the game as technological advanced are made. no reason clan stuff can be in there as just a simply more advanced weapon.

as for now all construstion and game rules are in effect. i am considering reducing the target number for feul explosion checks with like a -2 to the dice roll. also, thinking of an "advanced ICE" with all that massive tonage it take up, it could come with a free supercharger. just a thought or 2....

again, all standard rules remain in affect so there are no limitation on workmechs accept those already in place.

also, some of the fluff leans toward mechs being uncommon. this is not the case. seeing a fusion mech in combat is uncommon. they would most likely be on the field, but kept in reserve due to expenseive and hard to replace fusion cores. as technology advances, they will become more and more common.

got to go, late for work...
TBA
Drasnighta
06/18/07 11:58 PM

Using HeavyMetalPro, the only way to get an ICE Engine is to use Level 3 rules - but rest assured, beyond the ICE Engine restriction, every single one of my designs submitted so far are level 1. I have not even used Fractional accounting so far, as I've steered away from utilising Energy Weapons.

The way I've sort of being doing it - ICE 'Mechs are your workhorses, since the Myomer system has been easily replicated and mass produced, its specifically the Fusion Engine which holds them back - so lots of ICE, little fusion - and 'Mechs are still Kings of the Battlefield. I would make the assumption however, if Fusion Engines are even rarer than usual in 'Mechs, then Fusion Vehicles would be all but non-existant.

Okay, I'll brainstorm some more, but I offer up the Gambit, Renegade, Renegade-LR, Paradox, Blaze, Nightfall and Nightfall II so far... Upon any further Fluff information (which, if you want to message me, you can Email to me) and I'll just go nuts... I've been thinking of doing a BTech Campaign for a while myself, but don't have the time to write all the background stories - but I'll lend a hand. If not, I'll just toss on more 'Mechs.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Tripod
06/19/07 01:20 AM

there are enough designs posted here for me to start saving them somewhere. TDB would be good but you cant have less than 10 HS. and im not sure if you can save an overweight mech...

the main benifit of fractional is when you have like 1 medium laser, it allows you to loose like 2 points of armor to cover the weight of the convertor.

we've never been big on vehicles in our games. not sure why. we did try to use more infantry once but we tend to stick to mechs mostly.

I'm pestering the GM on our private forums about more fluff. we are about to start a 2nd edition d&d but he's not the DM. maybe this will give him time to work on the BT stuff.

we've mainly been working on the mechanincs of the game when we have time to get together. we are not using MW for the roleplay side of this. he's using something called D20 Modern. we've devised an experiance based way to raise BT skill levels. as we gain exp it goes into 2 pools, one is total exp to keep track of level, and the other is unasigned to be "spent" on skills to raise them. skills cost more and more as they are raised. we even put a penalty of higher cost to raise is you attempt to push one skill far higher them the rest. we did like the weapon type specific gunnery skills of MW, so we kept that. we also added a physical attack skill seperate from piloting. and we needed a 6th skill so we added an avoid skill to be used on ammo explosion and shut down checks.
TBA
Drasnighta
06/21/07 06:43 AM

Quote:

the main benifit of fractional is when you have like 1 medium laser, it allows you to loose like 2 points of armor to cover the weight of the convertor.

Yeah, but I don't like Optomising things... 'Mechs are designed in Committee after all, you can't have everything "just perfect"... Not since the Star League...

Also, in our D20 Adaptation (when we rarely used it) utilised - as per Maximum Tech suggestion - the Computer Skill to Avoid Shutdowns, Ammo Explosions, Ejection and the like... Representing just how well a pilot knows how to push his 'Mechs automated systems before they lock him out.

But, just the suggestion.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Tripod
07/08/07 04:02 AM

Type/Model: Tracker / TRK-G7
Designer - Lucas

Mass: 30 Ton Biped

Int. Struct.: Standard 0 3.00
Engine: 180 Fusion ?.00
Walking MP: 6
Running MP: 9
Heat Sinks: 10 Single 3 0.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 3RT)
Gyro: 2.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA+H R: Sh+UA+LA+H
Armor Factor: 91 pts Standard 0 5.75?

Internal Armor
Structure Value

Head: 3 7
Center Torso: 10 15
Center Torso (Rear): 5
L/R Side Torso: 7 10/10
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 4/4
L/R Arm: 5 8/8
L/R Leg: 7 10/10

1 Hatchet LA - - 2 2.00
1 SRM 6 LT 4 15 2 3.00
SRM 6 Ammo (15) LT - - 1 1.00
2 Medium Lasers RA 3 - 2 2.00
1 Small Laser H 1 - 1 0.50

TOTALS: 8 8.50
Crits & Tons Left: ? 0.00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: ? C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,341?

Something is amiss with the armor on this guy, and i dont know the weight of the engine off hand. The design is by a RL friend of mine, Lucas. He will be the game maser of the op and coming campaign that i've be collecting your design submissions for. I am personally impressed with this design. IMO it's one of the best level 1 lights i've come across. opinions?

Edited by Tripod (07/08/07 04:13 AM)
Drasnighta
07/08/07 04:25 AM

Design Editing:

6.5 Tons Armour (104 points), armour should be Max everywhere except the CT, which is 1 Point Less

In light of that, I'd drop the Small Laser for another Medium, at least... Perhaps if doing that, drop the 6-pack to a 4-pack and add a fourth medium, but you're overdoing it on heat then.

Its not bad, but I wouldn't call it the best level 1s I've seen... But mainly because I've seen a LOT of Level 1s...
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Tripod
07/08/07 07:45 AM

someone that does not know hw to manage heat could learn real easy on that mech. a good portion of the players in this campaign are...not veterans... i see it a good use of the 10 points of heat available. and i do agree about the small vs 1 more medium.

do you ,mean to say that the current configuration leaves room for 6.5 tons of armor? or it should have that much? i love full armor as much a the next guy, but i've tried to stay away from the absolutely tweaked mechs in making these designs for our little tech readout in an attempt to make it a bit more like the current readouts.

once you up it to 4 mediums your verging on the fire javelin... on of my favorite mechs as well...back when we put the full 10 tons of armor on it... : ) were we the only crowd that got that variant wrong?
TBA
Karagin
07/08/07 11:21 AM

Hey heat management is a good thing and having a mech that forces you to watch your heat means you learn to think outside of the Alpha strike mentality and use tactics and firepower to win.
Karagin

Drasnighta
07/11/07 07:16 AM

Quote:

do you ,mean to say that the current configuration leaves room for 6.5 tons of armor?

Yes indeed, the "standard" configuration you gave, has enough room for 6.5 tons of armour, which is the effective maximum, since the last half-ton only adds 1 point to the chassis.

Also looking at it again, I'd definately drop it to 6.0 Tons of Armour, and top it out at 4 Medium Lasers, and a Holly 4-Rack, that way, you have abundant firepower for those "Overheat Overkill" Alpha-strike situation - it gives you a choice between all-or-nothing, and between heavy slabs of damage, or crit-seeking shots... With the Hatchet as a Choice weapon to boot.

7 Heat Generated for a Full Overstrike Alpha, is not too bad - especially when we're talking 'Mechs designed for this mini readout of yours...

I mean, the way its going at the moment, you could really go with a Funky design like an SRM-2 Pack and a Large Laser - gives you speed and range - but compromises the original design, and does away with THE most Efficient weapon for Weight/Tonnage/Range/Heat/Crits - the Inner Sphere Medium Laser, (Always choose Randall's "Hellbitch" Variety)....

Or, if you feel like it - take a 4ML Variant, drop the SRM-4, add Jumpies, and you've got a messed up FireJav.......
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Tripod
07/13/07 10:18 AM

yea, once we start working more on fusion designs we are going to run into the, thats like a *insert mech name here*! ohh well...

i've been on a road trp the last few days, and been pondering a ice equivelent king crab... if i drop it to 2-3 speed, i think it's managable....
TBA
Drasnighta
07/13/07 11:23 AM

Depending on what you want to preserve of the King Crab - I do have something "similar" here, based on the massive Dual Autocannon Load... Personally though, I think the ICE Atlas works a little better... I normally dislike making Assault BattleMechs, and keep to Mediums with the occasional Heavy - but, this is a special situation:

Type/Model: Mangler (Prototype)

Mass: 100 tons
Power Plant: 200 I.C.E.
Armament:
2 180mm MechChewer Autocannon/20s
1 LRM 10
1 SRM 6

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
==Overview:==
The Mangler is a massive hulking BattleMech, heavily depending on Ammunition,
but capable of destroying any and all things that dare stand in its slow,
plodding way...

Although superficially based on the King Crab, designers were unfortunately
unable to replicate any of the Energy based backup weaponry, instead deciding
to go all out on its ballistic and missile loadout.

==Capabilities:==
Two Massive 180mm 'MechChewer Cannons dominate the arms (and even part of the
torso) - although ammunition is limited, the Mangler is capable of firing
those cannons multiple times before overheating too strenuously.

A pair of missile launcers back up the remainder of the Manglers firepower - a
10 pack of Long Range Missiles matched with a 6 pack of Harpoon short range
missiles.

Due to its limited ammunition, the designers thought to keep it hand actuators
- modelled as massive claws that cover the end of the barrels during physical
attacks.

Type/Model: Mangler (Prototype)

Int. Struct.: 152 pts Standard 0 10.00
Engine: 200 I.C.E. 6 17.00
Heat Sinks: 11 Single 11 11.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 1 HD, 4 LT, 4 RT, 2 CT)
Armor Factor: 272 pts Standard 0 17.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Center Torso: 31 41
Center Torso (Rear): 14
L/R Side Torso: 21 28/28
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 9/9
L/R Arm: 17 30/30
L/R Leg: 21 37/37

1 Autocannon/20 RA 7 10 12 16.00
1 Autocannon/20 LA 7 10 14.00
1 LRM 10 RT 4 12 3 6.00
(Ammo Locations: 1 RT)
1 SRM 6 LT 4 15 3 4.00
TOTALS: 22 70 100.00
Crits & Tons Left: 8 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 5,576,666 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,116

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type/Model: Vorago Dominus (Prototype)
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3067

Chassis: Foundation Type 10X Standard
Power Plant: 200 Vlar I.C.E.
Armor Type: Durallex Heavy Special Standard
Armament:
1 180mm MechChewer Autocannon/20
1 LRM 20
4 Medium Lasers
1 SRM 6

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
==Overview:==
Vorago Dominus, or, translated from Latin "The Lord of the Pit", is a massive,
forboding BattleMech. Thankfully one of a Kind, the Vorago Dominus is an
almost exceptional rebuild of the AS7-D Atlas - albeit with fewer heat sinks,
and a slower, less efficient Internal Combustion Engine.

==Capabilities:==
Everything that applies to the original Atlas, applies to Vorago Dominus. The
massive fists and myomers are capable of picking up smaller mechs and vehicles
and tossing them to the ground like toys - however the majority of its weapons
are only short ranged, and the Lord of the Pit is dreadfully slow.

If however, it manages to catch an enemy in its sights - the Lord of the Pit
annihilates them quickly, and efficiently...

Type/Model: Vorago Dominus (Prototype)

Int. Struct.: 152 pts Standard 0 10.00
Engine: 200 I.C.E. 6 17.00
Power Amplifiers: 0 1.00
Heat Sinks: 12 Single 12 12.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 3 LA, 3 RA, 2 LT, 2 LL, 2 RL)
Armor Factor: 304 pts Standard 0 19.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Center Torso: 31 47
Center Torso (Rear): 14
L/R Side Torso: 21 32/32
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 10/10
L/R Arm: 17 34/34
L/R Leg: 21 41/41

1 Autocannon/20 RT 7 10 12 16.00
(Ammo Locations: 2 RT)
1 LRM 20 LT 6 12 7 12.00
(Ammo Locations: 2 LT)
2 Medium Lasers CT(R) 6 2 2.00
1 Medium Laser RA 3 1 1.00
1 Medium Laser LA 3 1 1.00
1 SRM 6 LT 4 15 3 4.00
TOTALS: 29 69 100.00
Crits & Tons Left: 9 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 5,740,666 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,218
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Askhati
12/01/07 05:50 PM

Some more designs, found them gathering dust in one of my CBT folders

Code:

Colossus OldMech

Power Plant: Unknown 200 ICE
Armament:
1 LRM 15
1 Autocannon/10
6 Machine Guns
2 SRM 4s
1 Mace

(OldMech] Colossus

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 10
Engine: 200 ICE 17
Armor Factor: 304 19

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 47
Center Torso(rear) 14
R/L Torso 21 32
R/L Torso(rear) 10
R/L Arm 17 34
R/L Leg 21 41

Autocannon/10 LA 7 12
Machine Gun LA 1 0.5
Autocannon/10 Ammo LT 2 2
SRM 4 LT 1 2
SRM 4 LT 1 2
SRM 4 Ammo LT 1 1
Machine Gun LL 1 0.5
Machine Gun RL 1 0.5
LRM 15 RT 3 7
LRM 15 Ammo RT 2 2
Machine Gun Ammo RT 1 1
Mace RA 7 7
Machine Gun CT 1 0.5
Machine Gun CT(R) 1 0.5
Machine Gun H 1 0.5

Evolve or DIE!
Karagin
12/01/07 09:12 PM

This one reminds me of the Solairs mech of the same name and weight...
Karagin

Askhati
12/03/07 05:59 PM

Oh? The coincidence is completely unintentional, believe me.
Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
01/19/08 04:52 AM

Well, I'm pulling an all nighter here as im switchign back to nights for the coming work week. I'm using this time to convert the mechs we have come up with here to "Industrial Mech" status. see'ing as how "battle" mechs cant use ICE or even Fuel Cell engines. so far most all of the conversions went well enough. most worked out even or very close and a few even gained some free tonage. the big guys that are slow, 2/3 and slower, dont convert well. the free tonage gained be changing to a fuel cell does not offset the free tons lost by doubleing the internal structure weight per workmech construction rules.

my mech, the Crossbow gained 2 tons of armor and 2 tons of lrm ammo.

the colussus was 4 tons underweight to begin with, so i converted ofer without any noticable changes.

the other 2 100 tonners will not fair so well. i have not done the math but they are next on my to do list. will see how things go in a bit when i get arround to them...

meanwhile, feel free to post up some level 1 fussion designs as well as level 2 and 3 designs. i talked to the GM about a very few, uncommon mechs. i call them "Royal" mechs, only used by nobility. this is the place you would most likely see level 3 tech, or clan tech.

i leave the rest to you, good day.
TBA
Karagin
01/20/08 01:52 AM

Uhmm Battlemechs can use ICE, it's just not practical for them to do so, what faction would be using these walking vehicles?
Karagin

Tripod
01/20/08 06:44 AM

The problem is the battlemechs "cant" use ICE, so im converting the mechs into workmechs and upgrading then to fuel cell engines to offset the weight gained by the workmech's heavy internal structure.

As far as the factions that will use them, well... not sure if you remember the spill about our little campaign we are setting up, read the first post for full info. in 3025 a jumpship misscalculated and jumped into an unknown, inhabited system. the jumpship was destroyed, one dropship survived. the humans in the system were at a dark age of sorts, a feudal society, kings, dukes, lords, vassals and such. 750 years later they are producing mechs, dropships, colinizing other planets in the system and such but still a feudal style society. this is when our campaign takes place.

Or did i missunderstand your question and your wanting speciffic faction info from our campaign? if thats the case i cant help. im the battletech "expert" in our group. im a player in this campaign, not the GM. the faction info has not been revealed as of yet.

i'm giving your guys liberty to make up some stuff in that area. just as in the great houses in battletech lore some equipment is not available, or scarce to one house and the house next door has more than they can use. this would create some mech designs leaning towards certain types of weapons.

For anyone interested, the rough outline of designing a workmech follows thge same as a battlemech but double the standard internal structure weight, allows fission, fuel cell(1.25 standard fussion weight and one free heat sink), and ICE engines. +10% weight for enviromental sealing <--never used that so far, and .5 tons 1 crit in the head for an ejection seat...
TBA
Karagin
01/21/08 10:43 AM

Did you miss the section in Explorer Corps book where it gives you rules for ICE Mechs?
Karagin

Dester
01/21/08 11:20 AM

While an interesting concept, have you considered building your own vehicles?

In your game vehicles built to be similar to the LRM cariers and harrasers could be very devistating. Not to mention cheaper and easier to build then an ICE battlemech.

If I was a "lord" in your game I would reserve all of my Fussion engines for battlemechs, and mostly rely on my vehicles to fight, and only commit my battlemechs if I needed the extra punch of them.

Another thing to consdier with ICE mechs. Inferno equiped vehicles/ Infantry could really cause one to have a bad day

I know you asked for help with ICE mechs, but really unless your making a slightly mobile bunker it would be better to go with vehicles. (oh and don't use those horrible rules for vehicles hits in the Master rulesbook, go back to the original City tech book and use the hit tables out of there. I don't know anyone that agrees the master rules tables are fair to vehicles).

Good luck
Karagin
01/21/08 09:25 PM

Not many of the vehicle rules are fair to vehicles...
Karagin

Askhati
01/23/08 05:20 PM

...probably because they intended for the focus of the game to be on 'Mechs, not vehicles.
Evolve or DIE!
Fang
05/08/08 11:53 AM

old thread, I know. Actually, the Colossus from the Solaris7 boxed set was a short ranged murderous beast, with an AC/20, large and medium pulse lasers, and experimental coolant injectors. The design with the mace was the Cudgel. It was I think 80 tons, had a mace instead of a hand, and utilized MASC.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
KitK
09/02/09 02:33 PM

OK, I know this is way late. But it looked fun so I took a quick crack at it.

Behold! The Knave

Code:

Knave KNV-1S
_
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Era: (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: N/A
Chassis Config: Biped
Production Year: 3575 and beyond
_
Mass: 20 tons
_
Cost: 1,133,090 C-Bills
Battle Value: 307
_
Chassis: Blacksmith Forge-7 Small
Power Plant: Briggs & Stratton 100 I.C.E. Engine
Walking Speed: 53.75 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.0 km/h
Armor: Scabbard Thinline Standard w/ CASE
Armament:
... 1 N.E.R.F. by Hasbro Light Machine Gun
... 1 Buckler Incorperated Small Shield
... 1 Arrowshot Remote Sensor Dispenser
Manufacturer: CMCDesignsGuild
... Primary Factory: Cassleton - Deep Periphery
Communications System: Passenger Pigeon ZX-4
Targeting and Tracking System: Soothsayer MX-1
_
Overview:
A scout mech that goes henceforth into yon hill and dale in search of the enemy.

_
Capabilities:
A remote sensor dispenser helps the Knave perform its role. A small shield and
C.A.S.E help it get back in one piece. Its only armament is a light machine
gun, which is good for harassing villagers, dispersing angry, farm-tool
wielding mobs, and shooting food.
_

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: 33 points 2.00
Engine: I.C.E. Engine 100 6.00
Heat Sinks: Single 1 1.00
Gyro: Standard Gyro 1.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Standard AV - 40pts (58%) 2.50
CASE Locations: 1 LT 0.50

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 5
Center Torso 6 6
Center Torso (rear) 1
L/R Torso 5 4
L/R Torso (rear) 1
L/R Arm 3 4
L/R Leg 4 5

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Light Machine Gun RA 0 1 0.50
Small Shield LA - 3 2.00
Remote Sensor Dispenser RT 0 1 0.50
@LMG (1/2) (100) LT - 1 0.50
@Remote Sensors (1/2) (30) LT - 1 0.50

Tripod
09/03/09 06:41 AM

We actually never started that campaign. It's not been thrown out. My gaming buddies are quite the ADD bunch, and I dont mean Advanced Dungeon & Dragons.

Im suprised no one added any fusion powered mechs. Guess I could have added faction info, that might have sparked alot more interest....given a few ideas to piggyback off of. I might get with the GM and have him give me some info...

:EDIT:

LOVE the name on that one! I dont think we had planned on using the remote sensors. Heck, I don't even know what they do or how they work....anyways, thanks for the submission!

Edited by Tripod (09/03/09 06:43 AM)
Karagin
10/12/09 05:26 PM

Nice stuff so far guys, do you have any more?
Karagin

Tripod
10/27/09 04:20 AM

I've been toy'ing arround with different weapon loadouts on a few of the chassis I designed to try and see when else might work, and what wont. I sort of treated them like an Omni, adding the total weight of the HS, weapons, ammo and equipment to get a "pod space". This allowed me to do some figuring while I'm actually working since I cant bring in materials and have no internet access durring that time. I have no intention of making these designs Omni capable but it's allowing me to test different weapon combinations and how usefull they might or might not be. For example...

The Constelation is a 55 ton mech with an average(for this setting) speed at 3/5, with excelent armor coverage(11.5tons). It comes standard as an enery based weapons platform consisting of 1 PPC and 3 standard medium lasers along with the required 1 ton power amplifier. It's all kept cool with 10 standard heatsinks.

This makes for 21 total tons of "pod space". I am allowign fractional accounting for the use of power amplifiers and armor. I think 2 points of armor covers a 0.1 ton amp for a medium laser, don't quote me though. I did this because these ICE mechs need every ton they have available.

The Heavy Horse is the other I've been working with.

Heavy Horse

75 Tons
3/5
12.0 Tons of armor
7 Heat Sinks
1 AC/10 (20)
2 SRM 6 (15)
2 MG (100)

26.5 tons for this guy...

As far as I can tell I think the factions will have access to certain weapon types. I see 4 types... AC's, Energy, LRM and SRM. I'd like to see you guys work your magic... Come up with a few loadouts using only 2 weapon types, or even 1. Then once the GM, or I will if I take over, will allocate the mechs to the factions they fit into.

The availability of weapon types does not need to be exclusive. Say you picked AC's and LRM's. You could still toss on a medium laser or two. It's not that a laser will not exist in that faction, they just cant produce them and so would use them sparingly or not at all as replacement parts are very hard to come by. You might see a mech in that faction with a non-functional laser in a totally repaired mech simply because of logistics problems.

In configuring the weapons loadouts for these type mechs I seem to be leaning towards multiple small launchers vs 1 single large one(esp in LRMs). The heat spike from LRM 20's and 15's are problematic vs the ability to just fire 1 LRM 5, not all 3 or 4. I dont like this...it seems munchie, sort of...

Just a reminder, I'm designing these ICE powered battle mechs to these standards...

Double the weight of the standard engine required for the desired walking speed...
Include NO free heatsinks with the engine...
Add 10% to the weight of all "energy" weapons for power amplifiers...
All level 1 tech (3025) at the moment, feel free to branch out though. Advanced tech will find it's way into the game in the future.
TBA
Tripod
10/27/09 07:43 AM

Alright, here is a few of the ideas I had for the 3/5, 55 ton'er, 11.5 tons of armor with 21 tons available...
The +'s are how many ton's of ammo...
Code:

Standard version for comparison...
1-PPC -7
3-MED -3
10-HS -10
1-Amp -1
-------------------

LRM's and SRM's... enough HS to run and gun with the LRM...

1-LRM 15 +2 - 9
7-HS -7
4-SRM 2 +1 -5
-------------------

Big AC...

1-AC/10 +2 -14
5-HS -5
1-SRM 2 +1 -2
-------------------

Range AC with Heavy SRM's weak ammo though, drops 1 ton of armor...

1-AC/5 +1 -9
2-SRM 6 +1 -7
6-HS -6
-1-Armor - -1
------------------

Token LRM with Heavy SRM's and heat issues

1-LRM 5 +1 -3
4-MG +1 -3
2-SRM 6 +1 -7
2-SRM 2 +1 -3
5-HS -5
------------------

Reach out and touch someone AC's with a nice backup SRM, drops .5 ton of armor...

2-AC/2 +1 -11
1-SRM 6 +1 -4
2-MG +0.5 -1.5
5-HS -5
-0.5-Armor - -0.5
-------------------

Weak fire support

2-AC/2 +1 -11
2-LRM 5 +1 -5
5-HS -5
-------------------

Weak fire support again, drops 1 ton of armor...

1-AC/5 +1 -9
3-LRM 5 +1 -7
6-HS -6
-1-Armor - -1
--------------------

Run and Gun Large Laser with SRM's but dropped a ton of armor...

1-LG -5
2-SRM 4 +1 -5
2-MG +0.5 -1.5
10-HS -10
1-Amp -0.5
-1-Armor - -1
---------------------
Code:

I know the dammage sucks on the small caliber AC's but the fact they only do 1 heat makes them quite usefull. SRM's are nice for the low heat they do. So far all of these configs have a "range" weapon, I hate to not be able to return fire....

Please feel free to point out flaws or benifits of any of these configs.
TBA

Edited by Tripod (10/27/09 07:44 AM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/15/13 07:26 PM

King's Knight

Type/Model: King's Knight

Int. Struct.: Standard 0 10.00
Engine: 300 ICE 38.00
Running MP: 4*
Heat Sinks: 7 standard 7.00
Gyro: 3 3.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 3.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA R: Sh+UA 12 .00
Armor Factor: 304 pts standard 19.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Center Torso: 31 50
Center Torso (Rear): 12
L/R Side Torso: 21 35/32
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 7/7
L/R Arm: 17 34/34
L/R Leg: 21 42/42

Hatchet RA 0 0 7 7.00
MRM-10 LT 4 * 1 3.00
medium laser LT 3 0 1 1.00
Laser power amplifier LT 0 0 1 .10
Machine Gun H 0 * 1 .50
Machine Gun LT 0 * 1 .50
Machine Gun CT 0 * 1 .50
MRM ammo RA 0 24 1 1.00
Machine Gun Ammo RA 0 80 1 .40
Large Shield RA 0 0 7 6.00

Cost 5,044,800 C-Bills

I was board and I tripped over this thread making sure that the forum was safe from zombies coming out from the morgue.

The King's Knight is the ultimate battle mech. It is greatly feared by most mech pilots because of the great damage that it can inflect onto its enemies. First it can pepper its target with its MRM-10 wail it closes. When it gets closes it can open up with its medium laser. Once it can get into range it will pulverize any mech with its hatchet. Wail it attempts to get into range to use the hatchet it uses its massive shield to protect its self from enemy fire.

To defend its self from PBI Banzai charge attacks it has three machine guns.

All ammo is stored in the right arm where the shield protects it from enemy fire.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/17/13 11:23 AM

Type/Model: Light Cavalry
Mass: 35 tons

Int. Struct.: Standard 0 3.50
Engine: 175 ICE 14.00
Heat Sinks: 3 standard 3.00
Gyro: 2.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 3.00
Armor Factor: 119 pts standard 7.50

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Center Torso: 11 17
Center Torso (Rear): 5
L/R Side Torso: 8 14/14
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 2/2
L/R Arm: 6 12/12
L/R Leg: 8 16/16

Medium Laser RT 3 0 1 1
Machine Gun LT 0 * 1 .5
Machine Gun Ammo CT * 80 1 .4

I was trying to have a mech that had a some what of a good speed that had something of a weapon that was not a laser. It just could not be done. I just had to use a medium laser as its main and basically only weapon.

The Light Cavalry is just what its name means it is a mech that is intended to come in very fast with a light weapon to take advantage of openings in the enemy lines or to make openings where the enemy line is very week. It has real good armor for its weight class because it could easily find its self cut off from friendly forces.

Dam designing ICE mechs are a lot harder than I thought it would be.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 37583

Contact Admins Sarna.net