9th Hesperus Guards
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Is MechWarrior 5 About To Go Epic Exclusive?
- Read more →
|Ninth Hesperus Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
|Parent Formation||Hesperus Guards|
The Ninth Hesperus Guards began as the Ninth Tamar Marines, an Age of War era command in the regional brigade associated with the Tamar Pact region of the Lyran Commonwealth, prior to being reorganized into the Hesperus Guards in the mid-twenty-eighth century.
Age of War
The Ninth Tamar Marines fought as a part of the Tamar Marines brigade during the Age of War, and survived the Age of War, the drawdown in military forces that accompanied the formation of the Star League in which large numbers of military units belonging to the Great Houses were donated to the newly-formed Star League Defense Force, and the Reunification War.
Star League Era
In or around 2755 the Ninth Tamar Marines were assigned to briefly guard a Defiance Industries operation on Hesperus II, and were accidentally renamed to the Ninth Hesperus Guards in the process. Despite this being an obvious error in nomenclature, it resulted not in the Ninth Hesperus Guards being renamed back to the Ninth Tamar Marines, but rather in the formation of a new brigade dedicated to defending the Hesperus system and nearby worlds. This reorganization resulted in a remarkable level of animosity between those regiments forcibly assigned to new identities as regiments of the Hesperus Guards and the Quartermaster's staff, who the regiments viewed as being responsible for the changes, and this animosity posed a significant issue for the LCAF in the decade after the Hesperus Guards brigade was created.
By 2765, two of the three regiments of the brigade were still suffering from severe morale problems, including the Ninth. For the Ninth Hesperus Guards, the problem was an ingrained, sullen resentment over the disbandment of the Tamar Marines brigade lingering on, accompanied by continued animosity towards the LCAF Quartermaster's organization and the low priority the regiments of the Hesperus Guards had when it came to receiving new supplies and equipment. Regarded as a "sullen" unit, still resentful over the name change and the disrespect towards the Tamar Marines it implied, the Ninth was running the risk of becoming a command of malcontents and screw-ups. Despite this, the Ninth was still too important to the High Command to disband.
|Commanding Officers of the 9th Tamar Marines|
|Commanding Officers of the 9th Hesperus Guards|
The Ninth was equipped with two battalions of light 'Mechs, making it a dedicated recon command.
Ninth Hesperus Guards (Regiment/Veteran/Questionable)
2786 - 2821
9th Hesperus Guards (Regiment/Veteran/Questionable) 
- Note: At this point in time the light-weight unit was stationed on Caledonia. In 2821 the command was reduced to 47 percent of its strength and was deployed on Hesperus II. 
9th Hesperus Guards (Regiment/Elite/Questionable) 
- Note: At this point in time the light-weight unit was stationed on Hesperus II with an operational readiness of 117 percent.  The unit was destroyed during the war.
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 12, "Hesperus Guards"
- ’’ First Succession War’’, p. 139
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 99