Carson (WarShip class)
- Community Outreach - The Cauldron's Bear_cl4w and Krasnopesky Talk MechWarrior Online
- MechWarrior Online's Renaissance Is All Thanks To The Developers Putting Players In Charge
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2021
- Why You Should Actually Trust BattleTech’s Mysteriously Short-Ranged Autocannons
- Read more →
|Tech Base||Star League|
|Sail Diameter||1.080 m|
|Safe Thrust||1 g|
|Top Thrust||1.5 g|
|KF Drive Integrity||11|
|Armament|| 2 x Medium NPPCs |
3 x White Shark
12 x NL45s
6 x NAC/30s
|Armor||314 tons of Improved Ferro-Aluminum|
|Grav Decks||1 x 80 meter diameter|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||27/15|
|Heat Sinks||1,500 Heat Sinks|
As a result of increased colonization (in the wake of the invention of Jamerson-Ulikov Water Purification Procedure), the Star League Navy found itself becoming too thinly deployed. To combat this problem, the Star League commissioned the Carson-class destroyer as an escort ship, allowing the Star League to spread their existing fleets.
Produced at Thompson's Shipyards over Keid, the Carson met all of the requirements for extended deployments on escort – the vessel possessed reasonable crew amenities, generous cargo capacity and large fuel tanks. However, as the Carson was the first WarShip produced by Thompson’s Shipyards, the firm’s inexperience led to constant issues and underperformance from the engine. Drive failures also meant the Carson was restricted to patrolling more settled regions of space shortly after introduction.
Though the initial order required four hundred Carsons to be produced, the class was quickly replaced with more reliable WarShips such as the Lola III-class destroyer, and officially decommissioned after the introduction of the Essex-class destroyer in 2711. A number of Carsons were evidently passed to or purchased by the Great Houses or member states during the Star League era; in April 2765 the Capellan Confederation was operating a pair of Carsons as a part of the Capellan Navy while the Rim Worlds Republic had eighteen in service.
Although WarShips were considered to have become extinct during the Succession Wars the Word of Blake recovered and restored a pair of Carsons as a part of their hidden fleet in the buildup to the Jihad.
Compared with other destroyers, the Carson was either better armored or armed. However, the Carson was also slower than other destroyers. The payload of the Carson was designed primarily to engage capital vessels, and featured naval lasers, naval PPCs, naval autocannons, and a trio of White Shark Missile systems.
Despite its lack of DropShip collars, the Carson was able to ferry a respectable amount of cargo for a destroyer. The vessel possessed three cargo bays, one capable of containing a squadron of AeroSpace Fighters, a second capable of transporting six small craft, and a third capable of managing up to 145,043.5 tons of cargo.
Original Carson from TRO:3057 Revised
- MUL online date for the Carson (WarShip class)
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, p. 202, "Carson (Destroyer)"
- Field Report: Capellan Confederation 2765, p. 5, "Guarding the Vault of Heaven"
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 4, "WarShips of the Territorial States"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 128, "Word of Blake Naval Assets"