|Class||Heavy AeroSpace Fighter|
|Tech Base||Star League|
|Power Plant||Pitban C375 Fusion Engine|
|Communications System||Lassitor FibroLink|
|Tracking & Targeting System||BANDAR 9|
|BV (2.0)|| 1,046|
The Hammerhead was first deployed by the Terran Hegemony in 2407 during the Age of War as a ground-based defensive craft for protecting planets and patrolling jump points. Over the next three centuries the Hammerhead would receive periodic refits to remain in service to the Star League Defense Force. Chief among these was the replacement of its older armor for Ferro-Aluminum in the 26th Century, which greatly increased the craft's survivability, though like other retrofits the armor is ungainly in some areas and weak in others. This superior protection, combined with excellent acceleration capabilities for such a heavy craft, allowed the Hammerhead to penetrate defenses quickly and safely in order to wreck havoc, especially against enemy DropShips. Five tons of fuel also gave the fighter acceptable flight speeds and endurance.
The only Hammerheads to survive the Succession Wars were those kept in the secret stockpiles maintained by ComStar. The public reveal of the Com Guards would see the design proliferate, especially among the Word of Blake and their allies, with new variants fielded by both forces.
The Hammerhead's singular armament is both a source of fear and criticism for the craft. Its Imperator Zeta-20 autocannon allows it to kill other light and medium fighter quickly, while presenting a significant threat to DropShip captains. However, due to space constrictions the fighter can only carry three tons of ammo for its gun, and it lacks any secondary armament. For this reason, Hammerheads rarely stay in a fight for long, and are often paired with energy weapon-equipped fighters.
- HMR-HDb - Designed for the exclusive use of SLDF Royal commands, the HMR-HDb Hammerhead partially compensates for the problem of ammunition dependence by replacing the Autocannon with an M-7 Gauss Rifle and an additional 2 tons of ammo. BV (2.0) = 1,339
- HMR-HE - A variant popular with Com Guards aerospace pilots, the Hammerhead-E replaces the autocannon with two Magna Hellstar PPCs. An additional heat sink is added, and all 11 are upgraded to Double Heat Sinks, along with two additional tons of fuel. BV (2.0) = 1,254
- HMR-HF - In use by Word of Blake squadrons, the Hammerhead-F replaces its standard weapon with an LB 10-X Autocannon along with two tons of ammo. Secondary weaponry is also included, a pair of ER Medium Lasers, with single laser mounted in each wing. BV (2.0) = 1,162
- HMR-HG - This rumored variant of the Hammerhead, supposedly ambushing DropShips within the Marik Commonwealth, is armed with an Ultra A/C 20 Autocannon, though it is thought to carry only a single ton of ammo. BV (2.0) = 1,235
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 242-243, "Hammerhead Fighter Profile"
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 107
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 107
- ↑ AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 130
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 352
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 76-77
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 42
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 353
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 354
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 355