Heavy Recoilless Rifle
- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
The Heavy Recoilless Rifle is the heaviest of the three types of recoilless rifles in use by military forces of the thirty-first century. Based on designs dating back to the mid-twentieth century, recoilless rifles launch a high-explosive fin-stabilized rocket at a target while simultaneously venting high-velocity gas, known as backblast, out the rear end of the weapon. The backblast can be dangerous, which for the heavy rifle extends out to a range of 10 meters, but allows for recoilless fire and greater thrust potential. The result is a rocket traveling at greater velocities than normal missiles, making them effectively immune to anti-missile systems and contributing to their growing popularity as these systems proliferate.
Heavy recoilless rifles require a crew of three to operate and are far too heavy to be shoulder-fired, but their considerable firepower makes them popular as a defensive emplacement weapon. It can also fire a variety of ordnance types except for FASCAM and flares.
- Item:Recoilless Rifle, Heavy
- Equipment Rating: C/B-B-A/D
- Armor Piercing/Base Damage: (E)
- Range: 70/225/450/700 meters
- Shots: 1
- Cost/Reload: 4000/*
- Affiliation: -
- Mass/Reload: 60kg/4kg
- Notes: Crew: 3; Backblast 10m
- A Time of War, p. 276, "Recoilless Rifle"
- TechManual, p. 268, "Recoilless Rifle"
- LosTech: The MechWarrior Equipment Guide, p. 41, "Heavy Recoilless Rifle"
- A Time of War, p. 274, "Recoilless Rifle - Table"