- This article is about the vehicle. For the space station that was operated by Wolf's Dragoons, see Hephaestus Station.
|Hephaestus Scout Tank|
|Manufacturer||Niles Industriplex Beta|
|Armor||Compound VM22 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Communications System||Build 1700/5 Tacticom|
|BV (1.0)|| 580|
The Hephaestus Scout Tank is an OmniVehicle produced exclusively by Clan Hell's Horses. Research and development for the vehicle started in 3062 by the order of then-Khan Malavai Fletcher. He all but killed the project the following year, only to have his successor, Khan James Cobb, restart it. The Hephaestus finally saw production in late 3064.
Known for their combined-arms approach to warfare, the Horses based the Hephaestus on the Kanga produced by the Star League. It proved impractical to replicate the jumping system of that combat vehicle, so the Scout Tank instead incorporates a four-ton cargo bay that can carry a Point of unarmored infantry with room to spare. It also utilizes a fixed Active Probe to locate hidden units. A half-ton turret provides a wide range of fire for five tons of weaponry, though the tank only has six tons in available pod space. Five tons of armor give this fast vehicle moderate protection.
The Hephaestus is lightly armored in its primary configuration, with only two Medium Pulse Lasers. The accurate weapons can be used to harass, and can be effective against opposing light armor. The real threat comes from the TAG that can direct homing artillery rounds.
 Alternate Configurations
- Alt. Config. A - A support variant, the Hephaestus A mounts an LRM-15 in its turret along with an Artemis IV Fire Control System. A single ton of ammunition does not allow for a high rate of fire for an extended period of time. Supplementing the missile launcher is a single ER Small Laser. BV (1.0) = 580, BV (2.0) = 768
- Alt. Config. B - A mid-range brawler, the third configuration utilizes a pair of ER Medium Lasers and a Streak SRM-6. While this variant also utilizes one ton of ammo for its missile launcher, the Streak system ensures that not a shot is wasted. BV (1.0) = 771, BV (2.0) = 957
- Alt. Config. C - The Hephaestus C also uses a missile launcher, but, in this case, it is a pair of ATM 3s. Three tons of ammunition gives the crew the ability to utilize the flexible munition choices that give the ATM system its potency. BV (1.0) = 389, BV (2.0) = 577
- Alt. Config. D - The D configuration carries a pair of ER Medium Lasers in the turret, backed by a pair of AP Gauss Rifles. It carries the expected Active Probe in the hull, along with an ECM Suite. A five ton infantry bay is also provided. BV(2.0)=850
- Hephaestus Jump Tank - This non-Omni version of the Hephaestus is equipped with a pair of ER Medium Lasers, TAG, ECM Suite, and an Active Probe. The standard fusion engine provides a maximum ground speed of nearly 150 km/h while five and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor protects the tank. The hoverskirts have been reinforced with an Armored Motive System as well. The most interesting feature, however, is the set of Jump Jets mounted in the body, which allows this hovertank to cover 240 meters in a single bound. Not since the Kanga has this system been deployed on a combat unit. BV (2.0) = 1,044
 Design Quirks
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Combat Operations, p. 114
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Technical Readout: 3067, p. 30, "Hephaestus"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 42
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 43
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 44
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 45
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 46
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 69