- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|Tech Base||Star League|
|Power Plant||Shinobi 275|
|Communications System||Garret T22|
|Tracking & Targeting System||Neko Megane 6|
|Heat Sinks||13 Double Heat Sinks|
The desperation of the Clan invasion years forced the Combine to quickly upgrade its forces, focusing primarily upon fielding advanced refits of its existing venerable fighter designs after the production site of Combine's pride and joy new-tech Sai was captured by Clan Smoke Jaguar. With fighter designs lagging behind new BattleMechs, it was only after the development of OmniFighters, the Omni-Conversion S-7 model of the Sai and the Tatsu, that Wakazashi could look towards developing a new non-Omni fighter. Delayed yet further thanks to the FedCom Civil War and Combine-Ghost Bear War, the Oni didn't make its first flight until 3066.
Slightly less maneuverable than its lighter sibling because its use of a heavier but less costly standard Fusion Engine, the Oni has a similar level of armor protection thanks to six tons of advanced Chatham "Bakemono" Ferro-Aluminum plating and superior heat dissipation thanks to its thirteen Double Heat Sinks. The Oni has been well received by the DCMS, who appreciate its combination of resilience and hard-hitting firepower. Only its poor endurance has drawn criticism, though this merely limits the missions appropriate to the design.
Weapons and Equipment
Building upon the S-7 Sais loadout, the Oni carries a nose-mounted Shigunga MRM-30 capable unleashing a withering volume of fire at medium range, supported by a Diverse Optics Sunbeam ER Small Laser. The remaining longer ranged weapons consist of a pair of Diverse Optics Type 30X ER Large Lasers mounted one per wings. Two tons of missile reloads is more than adequate given the fuel-capacity and combat range of the fighter.
- A Jihad-era variant which utilizes experimental technology by Wakazashi Enterprises. The Combine's leaders used stolen Capellan technology acquired through the Blakists to give the Oni eight and half tons of Vehicular Stealth Armor. To make the armor's stealth capacity function, engineers added the experimental Angel ECM Suite. Its MRM 30 launcher has been fitted with an Apollo Fire Control System, to allow the normally unguided weapons to hit with more accuracy. The craft's two Extend-Range Large Lasers have been swapped out for a nose mounted Binary Laser Cannon. In place of the wing lasers, a ER Medium Laser takes their place. Fitted in the aft is a Medium Pulse Laser. To increase the craft's survivability against missile attacks, an experimental Laser AMS is placed in the nose with the MRM launcher and Binary Laser. For pilots to adjust their additional energy weapons fire, engineers increased the double heatsinks mounted to 15. BV (1.0) = ????, BV (2.0) = 1,733
- MUL online date for the Oni
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 96
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 256
- Technical Readout: 3067, pp. 146-147, "Oni Figher Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 257
- Experimental Technical Readout: Kurita, p. 11, 23, "ON-2X Oni" - Experimental Oni with stats and fluff.