|Manufacturer||Alshain Naval Yards|
|Use|| Ground Assault and Support |
Heavy Vehicle and Battle Armor Transport
|Tech Base||Clan Advanced|
|Drive System||Fusion Engine|
|Armament|| 4x Cruise Missile 50s |
3x Ultra AC-20s
14x Gauss Rifles
5x ER Large Lasers
39x Large Pulse Lasers
|Crew|| 3 Officers |
220 Bay personnel
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||0/35|
|Heat Sinks||175 Double Heat Sinks|
|Targeting Tracking System||Unspecified|
The Polaris is a Clan Ground Fire Support / Transport type DropShip which was produced in limited numbers during Second Combine-Dominion War. A specialized design, it was conceived by Clan Ghost Bear's war against Draconis Combine and their Clan allies, Clan Nova Cat.
Designed as an artillery vessel with a vehicle and battle armor carrier capacity, the Polaris was most noted for its missile-based artillery batteries, which became notorious during the battle of Irece. It was during this campaign beginning in June 3100, is Rasalhague's galaxies landed their Polaris DropShips and were used to bombard Nova Cat's capital city of New Barcella into rubble. In this campaign they gained a negative reputation.
Only twenty of these ships were produced, further production deemed unnecessary need for a artillery fire support vessel and their limited lift capacity to heavy tanks and battlesuit infantry Supernova. All were used in the Second Combine-Dominion War, with majority of the ships assigned to the Omega Galaxy and Star worth of the ships assigned to Beta Galaxy.
Three Polaris would be lost during the conflict, with only a few of these ships were retained in active service with Clan Ghost Bear after the 3100. With Beta Galaxy retain most active of these ships of the Class, Omega Galaxy would lose their ships and disperse some to Alpha Galaxy and Galaxies associated with the former KungsArmé. Twelve of these ships were mothballed and would not see service again until 3144, when they were used as part of effort to absorb Vega Protectorate into the Dominion.
Weapons and Equipment
In its role as a Fire Support Vessel, the ship's weaponry is geared to project artillery at considerable distances. In this role, the Polaris mounts four Class-50 Cruise Missile in its nose with forty rounds of ammunition to supply the launchers. Protecting the ship's hull aside from a large array of anti-missile systems is 30 tons of ferro-aluminum armor.
Rounding the ship's regular weaponry includes;
- Nose: Three Class-20 Ultra Autocannons, an array of five ER Large Lasers, four Large Pulse Lasers and five Anti-Missile Systems.
- Front & Aft Left/Right: All include three Gauss Rifles, Four Large Pulse Lasers and five Anti-Missile Systems.
- Aft: Three Large Pulse Lasers, two Gauss Rifles, and five Anti-Missile Systems.
- Bay 1: Heavy Vehicles - 20 Units (4 Doors)
- Bay 2: Battle Armor Point - 10 Points (2 Doors)
- Bay 3: Cargo Space - 217 Tons (1 Door)
- Fortress-Class Assault DropShip - The Polaris was loosely based on this DropShip due to its signature artillery weaponry.
The Master Unit List for the Polaris also corrects the introduction year to 3100 verse the original PDF's listing it introduced in 3099.
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, pp. 108&111 Polaris - "Battle Value and correct weapons, record sheet errant proves it is correct weapon system.
- Master Unit List Profile of Polaris DropShip - Battle Value
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, pp. 108-109 Polaris -Description.
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, pp. 108-109 Polaris - History.
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 25 Timeline 3132-3145 - "Vegan Protectorate's absorption by Raslhague Dominion.
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 111 Polaris - Stats - The ship record sheet is correct verse stats given in the fluff section due to errant of Cruise Missiles.
- Errant to the Historical: Wars of the Republic Era - 3 Person exchange confirming the Record Sheet is correct stats for the unit.