New Hessen WorkMechs
|Armor||HIW-50 Indyplate (Primitive)|
|Engine||Vlar Classic 200|
|Jump Jets||Chilton 360|
The Rook is a new design using old technology known as Retrotech or primitive technology. The design owes its existence to mercenary General Pat Hampton of Hampton’s Hessens. After fighting through the Blake Protectorate, the mercenary unit had obtained a copy of the New Dallas Memory Core. The General lobbied to have New Hessen's local manufacturers produce the design using local resources. New Hessen's defense forces received large numbers of the new 'Mechs. The primitive design is not able to hold up against modern units, but in great numbers can deal damage.
Weapons and Equipment
General Hampton recommended that manufacturers design the 'Mech with only energy weaponry to keep the 'Mech less dependent on supply lines during a long campaign. The design uses a Hellstar PPC for long range combat, while using six Martell Medium Lasers (two rear mounted) and a Small Laser.
As of 3076, New Hessen defense forces utilized the design and it also known to be deployed with Devlin Stone's allied coalition forces. Production continued through the Jihad and beyond, though production on New Hessen was restricted to New Hessen WorkMechs.
- This version of the Rook replaces the primitive technology systems with their Succession Wars-era counterparts. Though it carries less armor than the original Rook, the armor is tougher and lighter. This allowed engineers to install a better engine. The engine is larger and more efficient, allowing the NH-1B to reach a top speed of 64km/h. It is also roomier, allowing the NH-1B to carry twenty heat sinks, six more than the NH-1A. BV (2.0) = 1,227
- NH-1X Rook-X
- This upgrade kit was released by Hessen IndustrialWorks for customers who had purchased the original NH-1A. This version keeps the same armor protection and speed as the NH-1A, but replaces the weaponry. An ER PPC with an experimental PPC Capacitor provides long range firepower, supplemented by two ER Medium Lasers and a pair of Medium Lasers. The rear-firing Small Laser of the original has been replaced by a pair of ER Small Lasers. To help manage the increased heat, the Rook-X carries two more heat sinks. BV (2.0) = 1,187
- The NH-2 Rook uses cutting edge technologies to create a formidable medium 'Mech. Using a modern DAV 220 engine increases the top speed to 64km/h. Equipped with a Compact Gyro to make room for six Improved Jump Jets, the Rook can easily move around the battlefield. Standard armor replaces the primitive version used in the NH-1, increasing protection. Dropping two heat sinks would be dangerous in the original Rook, but the NH-2 carries double heat sinks. The two rear-firing lasers are gone, but the PPC has been exchanged for an extended range model. The Small Laser of the original Rook has been replaced by a Small Pulse Laser. BV (2.0) = 1,525
- This version uses a 330XL engine and Supercharger to increase the top speed of the Rook to 129km/h for short bursts. The PPC is replaced by a Binary Laser Cannon and a Small Laser is mounted in the head. The NH-3X uses six standard jump jets to cover 180 meters. These modifications cost the NH-3X two heat sinks. BV (2.0) = 1,746
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 115
- Experimental Technical Readout: RetroTech, p. 6
- Objectives: Federated Suns, p. 24
- MUL online date for the Rook
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 130
- Objectives: Federated Suns, p. 9
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 126
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 85
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 127