- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
|Mass||40 tons[[Category:40 ton BattleMechs]]|
|Chassis||Corean Model 000 Endo Composite|
|Armor||StarGuard III with CASE II|
|Engine||GM 200 XL|
|Communications System||Achernar Electronics HID-13 Tight Channel|
|Targeting Tracking System||Federated Stalker with Beagle Active Probe|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
|Jump Jets||Rawlings 80|
The Scarecrow is a rare BattleMech that Corean Enterprises produced from their plant on Augusta, although the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns officially disavowed knowledge of the Scarecrow until the 3140s. Incorporating mixed Clan and Inner Sphere technology, the Scarecrow was designed to be very effective at killing its intended target - infantry.
Not as mobile as some medium 'Mechs, the Scarecrow does mount a trio of Rawlings 80 Jump Jets; speed isn't a primary concern for the Scarecrow, as it is fast enough to catch up with the majority of infantry units, and the GM 200 XL engine allows the Scarecrow to mount an impressive array of weaponry. The engine isn't the only instance of advanced technology or materials within the Scarecrow, however; the bones of the Scarecrow are based on a Corean Endo-Composite chassis, the gyroscope is a Compact Gyro, and while it mounts eight tons of standard armour, the Scarecrow is also protected by a Chameleon Light Polarization Shield.
Weapons and Equipment
Much of the Scarecrow's weaponry is based on Clan technology, with some manufactured on Corean production lines and others produced by General Motors; three ExoStar Pinnacle Clantech ER Medium Lasers are mounted on the Scarecrow, one in each arm and one in the center torso, while four GM Ultralight Clantech Light Machine Guns are installed in Corean Bulletstorm Clantech Light Machine Gun Arrays in each arm. A Federated Mantrap Anti-Battle Armor Pod in each leg helps ensure that infantry and battle armor units are still viable targets for the Scarecrow.
Rounding out the Clantech weapons are a number of other weapons of less exotic origins: an Omicron 950 Medium Pulse Laser is mounted in each arm, while Zippo Longtorch Extended Range Flamers are mounted in the head and center torso. CASE II-protected ammunition bins for half a ton of light machine gun ammunition sit in the right torso, while the left torso is home to a Bloodhound Active Probe, allowing the Scarecrow to hunt down hidden targets.
- This variant went by the unfortunate nickname Hobbled Scarecrow - it was an attempt to produce a version of the Scarecrow that could serve more ably in combat against other BattleMechs, although thin armor and limited speed made the Scarecrow a poor choice for such battles even with the revised weapons loadout. The Hobbled Scarecrow lacked the Machine Gun Arrays of the original and the Chameleon Light Polarization Shield, mounting three Medium Lasers instead, one located in each arm and one in the right torso. BV (2.0) = 1,433.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns, p. 34-35, "UCU-F4 Scarecrow"
- online date for the Scarecrow
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 197
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns, p. 83, "UCU-F4r Hobbled Scarecrow"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 198