|Manufacturer||Gibson Federated BattleMechs|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Top Speed||21.6 km/h|
The second of the Demon Series of battle armor to be spotted, the Tengu also appears to feature the most experimentation. Named after Japanese demons, the Tengu is unique for boasting both an enhanced ground speed and jump jets allowing it to leap sixty meters at a time in what some observers call "an overworked motive system arrangement." This runs counter to the conventional wisdom of battle armor design, which seeks to save as much weight as possible by emphasizing only one mode of travel above another. Another unique feature of the Tengu compared to other Demon designs is its modular layout whereas the others employed fixed systems.
The prevailing theory is that the Tengu was a testbed design made by Dr. Devon Cortland to see if he could build a battle suit with the same flexibility as the Celestial series of OmniMechs. While Dr. Cortland switched to using hard-wired systems in other suits, the Tengu nevertheless went on to become a fixture in the Shadow Divisions of the Manei Domini, serving in a variety of roles. Its 520kg of advanced armor is enough to stop two Medium Pulse Laser blasts and still have a little left, and though it has four primary configurations, the nature of the Tengu allows for a wide array of variants including several unconfirmed variations such as a weaponless electronic warfare suit and a Rocket Launcher-equipped anti-infantry suit.
Weapons and Equipment
The Tengu's weapons are completely configurable as it has a Modular Weapon Mount in the left arm and an Anti-Personnel Weapon Mount in the right, with both arms using Basic Manipulators to grasp objects. In the standard configuration a Man-Portable Plasma Rifle is the most common weapon system, while the AP mount can carry any infantry-scale weapon weighing 35kg or less.
- This version came into service at the same time as the standard configuration and instead of the plasma rifle it carries a smaller Light Recoilless Rifle. The mass saved by using this lighter weapon goes towards a One-Shot SRM-3 in a Detachable Missile Pack, though the launcher prevents the Tengu from jumping until it is jettisoned. Its AP mount has a capacity of 25kg. BV (2.0) = 52
- Small VSP Laser
- A third version introduced after the first two configurations, this one carries only 480kg of armor and replaces the Modular Weapon Mount with a Detachable Weapon Mount which is used to carry a Small Variable-Speed Laser. The bulk of this mount prevents the suit from jumping and cuts its speed in half unless it is jettisoned, while the AP mount can only carry weapons 5kg or less. BV (2.0) = 52
- MUL online date for the Tengu
- Technical Readout: 3075, pp. 32-33
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 283
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 60
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 281
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 280
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 282