My main project is the collection and consolidation of coordinates for every known system, and the faction ownership history of these systems. The project is an on-going endeavor and the output is freely available to anyone who would wish to use them, all that I ask is the appropriate credit to myself and Bad_Syntax, who started the tedious job of collecting the coordinates. The data can be used to generate maps as what was done by Blacknova in OBT.com using GIS software, or Bad_Syntax's Stellar Cartographer application. As of this writing, this site has also used the output of this project (albeit an "obsolete" one, using the 3130 Dark Age map as the base) to indicate the coordinates and determine the nearby systems as seen on each system/planet's article. Big thanks to the Project Planets team on their work, which I use to cross-reference my data.
- Complete PDF map of the Human Sphere, with 3145 era borders.
- The searchable map shows all systems that have ever been plotted on a map, and published in a sourcebook. All of the coordinates were extracted by Bad_Syntax and myself. The process is described by Bad_Syntax here.
- Believe it or not, that map was made in Excel and Mr. Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler
- Borders reflect 3145 faction ownership on Inner Sphere and Periphery systems, and 3085 and 3095 for Clan Homeworld and Deep Periphery systems, respectively. I made the borders based on 30-LY influence range to make them appear more organic.
- WIP Systems Database of every known and mapped systems in Battletech
- Coordinates were extrapolated from the PDF maps using the process described above and scaled & consolidated using a formula I made.
- Linear distance from a reference system is also displayed. Default is Terra, but it can be changed, and the distances will adjust accordingly.
- Approximate number of Jumps is also indicated, but is more of a "ballpark" number than an actual in-map routing. The total linear distance is divided by 9 parsecs (29.35467LY) and rounded up.
- Faction Ownership is an on-going cataloging activity, based on which faction possessed the system during a specific year. This is limited by what published data is presently available to us.
- Faction Legend (2nd sheet) gives the Faction Abbreviation I used, the full faction name, the foundation and dissolution year (WIP) of that faction, and the number of systems that faction possesses in the relevant year.
- Scaling and Consolidation of RAW coordinates:
- In order to consolidate two maps, we first have to select the base map. In the coordinates database I made, I used the single-page 2764 Inner Sphere Map from Field Manual: SLDF because the whole map was in one PDF sheet and it was the most dense map available presently, meaning the map would already have most of the systems on it, so less consolidation work for me. Bad_Syntax used the 3075 map from Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, and when I took over I initially used the Single-Page 3130 Dark Age map. I had since moved to the 2764 map because of significant positioning errors in the 3130 Dark Age map.
- Once the raw coordinates of the systems in base map have been determined, they would have to be flipped and positioned so that Terra would be at (0,0) and the coreward region would be +Y.
- In order to consolidate the second map onto the base map, we collect the raw coordinates of the 2nd map. After collecting the coordinates, we select at most five reference coordinates of systems that appear on both the base and the second map (actually we could select more to increase accuracy, but that would have made the formula too long, and the difference would only be between 0.001 to 0.01LY, which is insignificant in terms of plotting on a scale of 1px = 1LY map). These five references coordinates would be the basis for the scaling of the X and Y axes (independently). Such would be the case, for example when you want to plot the system Fable, which happens to only appear in the 2822 and 2864 maps from (ie the second map) Handbook: House Davion, onto the 2764 map (ie the base map).
- In this case, I used Novaya Zemlya, Brabent, Meglan/Victoria, Branzoll and Kluane as the reference maps since these five appear on both systems. From there, I am able to determine the appropriate X and Y offsets so I can position the space bounded by the five reference systems on the appropriate location in the 2764 map. The coordinates will also give me the linear distances between the reference systems, so I am able to get the ratio of the base distances to the 2822 map distances to get the X and Y scales. Once the offsets and scales are determined, we apply these to the coordinates of Fable in the 2786 map to determine the coordinates in the 2764 map.
- The sample of the formula at work can be downloaded here.
- I will not be sharing the actual file where the consolidation is done, both for security reasons and for data consistency. The file above should be sufficient in auditing the process made to transfer coordinates from the raw format onto the base map, as it yields the exact result as the actual consolidation file.