- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- You Can Now Play MechWarrior 2 And MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries On Your Browser... Sort Of
- Talking BattleTech Fiction with Philip A. Lee
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3050)|
Formation and the Ronin Wars
Raised from a number of smaller conventional units, the 1st Freemen's first action was guarding the newly formed Republic capital of Rasalhague. They were along with other what would become the Second Freemen, were originally infantry regiment with some Combat Vehicle support attached to it. The regiment only staffed with newly recruited soldiers, would be used to back up other troops.
The unit would first be deployed to Radstadt for the first months of the Ronin War starting in April 3034. The unit would be sent after two months on planet to Goito where they began fighting veterans of the 17th Rasalhague Regulars, they would accrue heavy casualties as fighting ronin 'Mech regiment, but with assistance in June by First Kavalleri, they forced the Regulars to retreat from world but 1st Kavalleri was wrecked by the fighting. By July the unit would be redeployed to Rasalhague, where they remained until war's end.
As of 3049, the green ranked 1st were stationed on Last Frontier in the Rasalhague Province. The 1st Freemen faced the Clan juggernaut in June 3050 when Clan Ghost Bear attacked Last Frontier during their third invasion wave. Outnumbered and outmatched from the start by the Bear's elite 1st Bear Guards and Silveroot and Ourse Keshiks, the fanatical 1st Freemen fought to the last man, extracting a heavy price for their defeat after a lucky strike inflicted heavy injuries on the Bear saKhan Theresa DelVillar which resulted in her death. 
Resurrection as Clan Cluster
As part of the integration of the Rasalhague Republic into the Ghost Bear Occupation Zone, the First Freemen Cluster was created. This unit was part of Taiga Galaxy. In 3079 the First Freemen Cluster was stationed on Spital and was at two-thirds of its nominal strength.
|Commanding Officers of the 1st Freemen|
Unit Note: The unit was listed as having a Equipment Rating of C, and consisting of Infantry troops with elements of Combat Vehicles backing them up.
- First Freemen (BattleMech Regiment) [Green Skilled, Fanatical Loyalty]
- Like all other KungsArmé regiments save the 1st Tyr, the 1st Freemen used the KungsArmé standard light blue paint scheme, highlighted by grays and reds when on parade, adopting appropriate camouflage as required. 
- Historical: Brush Wars, pp. 106, 120 - The Ronin Wars/ The Drakon's Bite & FREE RASALHAGUE FORCES (MARCH-JUNE 3034) - Unit shown to be operational as of 3034.
- Histortical: Brush Wars, p. 106 Ronin Wars/THE DRAKØN’S BITE (April - June 3034) - First Freemen's origin detailed as Infantry Regiment.
- Historical: Brush Wars, pp.119-121 The Ronin Wars - First Freemen's deployment actions during the war, where they helped to liberate Goito, with assistance and their deployment to Rasalhague at war's end.
- 20-Year Update, p. 51 "Rashalhague KungsArme (Deployment as of 3050)
- Era Report: 3052, p. 50 "Factions - Clan Ghost Bear"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 52 "First Bear Guards (The Rage)"
- Invading Clans (sourcebook), pp. 21-22
- Field Report: Clans, p. 24
- Historical: Brush Wars, pp 120. 106, Ronin Wars/THE DRAKØN’S BITE (April - June 3034) and FREE RASALHAGUE FORCES (MARCH-JUNE 3034) - Only 3 active 'Mech regiment in the republic as of 3034, the Freemen is not one of them. First Freemen's noted being an Infantry Regiment prior to being fitted out with 'Mechs. Regiment is shown as active during the Ronin War, being deployed to various worlds during the conflict. The unit's skills, loyalty and equipment are also noted.
- 20 Year Update, p. 51 Rasalhague Kungsarme - First Freemen Deployment as of 3050.
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 67