The following should generally appear italicized:
- Model names for BattleMechs, DropShips, ProtoMechs, JumpShips, WarShips, Space Stations and aerospace fighters (eg. Atlas, Stuka, Scout, Union), but not those of conventional vehicles nor battle armor;
- but note that ’Mech and aerospace fighter variant/configuration designations, such as AS7-K and STU-K15, are not italicized.
- Specific vehicle & vessel names (eg. Oceans of the Stars, Liberator, Yen Lo Wang);
- but note that a prefix such as SLS is not part of the name proper, and thus is not italicized (eg. "SLS Prinz Eugen", not "SLS Prinz Eugen").
- All foreign language and ranks (with the exception of the Federated Suns or Lyran ranks) (ex: ja, Kommandant, Tai-sho, Sergeant Major)
- traditional Clan words (ex: surat, chalcas)
The following words should generally appear non-italicized:
- aerospace/conventional fighter
- ’Mech and aerospace fighter variant/configuration designations (ex: AS7-K, STU-K15)
- Vehicles and all infantry (ex: Indra, Swift Wind, Jump, Rifle)
- Battle armor (neither the word nor classes; ex: Elemental, Nighthawk)
Epigraphs (the location and date stamp seen in chapter headers) are italicized as well, as are quotations taken out of the body text and placed as a header. Names of publications (such as for books, stories, magazines, films, box sets, etc.) should also be italicized, though sections from within a publication should not be; instead, they are highlighted by quotations (ex: "Advanced Rules", "Active Probes"). The exception is a work of fiction, or short story, within a publication, which would be italicized.
Italics apply throughout an article, to include the opening, main body, infoboxes and references.
- Per Line Developer Ray Arrastia, 02Aug2022 (screencap)