- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Has Arrived - Here's What You Can Expect
- The 'Mech That Looks Most Like A Turkey
- Community Outreach - How Michael Todd Met Robert N. Charrette
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- Read more →
- This article is about the Spirit BattleMech. For the system within the Free Worlds League, see Spirit (system).
|Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Olivetti S1 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Compound Alpha Ferro Fibrous|
|Engine||Magna 245 XL|
|Communications System||Angst 2400 w/ECM Suite|
The Spirit is the first Clan BattleMech to walk off the production lines of Olivetti Weapons on Sudeten, which it did in 3063. The product of an upgrade ten years in the making, the Spirit is one of the first Clan 'Mechs produced in the Inner Sphere. Though some components are imported from Clan space, the Magna Extra-light Engine is made in the Clan Jade Falcon Occupation Zone. The engine is only one of the weight-saving technologies the design makes use of, however, as the Spirit incorporates both an Endo Steel structure and six tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor. While the armor may be somewhat lacking, an ECM Suite helps protect it from some advanced targeting systems, in addition to providing the Spirit with its name. The Spirit itself is a relatively fast recon 'Mech that can hold its own at both long and short ranges. In addition, it makes for a good training 'Mech, ensuring that it will have a place in the Falcon touman for a long time to come.
Weapons and Equipment
Since the Spirit is primarily a reconnaissance 'Mech, it makes use of energy weapons so that it can move far from supply lines. At long range, the Spirit makes use of its Series 6b Extended Range Large Laser and a Mk 46 Type IV LRM-10 launcher with an Artemis IV FCS accompanying it. The missile launcher is a somewhat controversial addition to the design, since it uses ammunition, but the extra striking power afforded the light 'Mech was deemed worthwhile. Up close, the Spirit uses a pair of General Systems heavy lasers, a medium and a small, as well as a Pattern JX Streak SRM-4 launcher. Since the streak launcher does not waste ammunition, there was no question of its usefulness on this design. Eleven double heat sinks strain to keep the 'Mech cool.
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 110, the Spirit BattleMech began production with the reopening of Olivetti Weapons in 3063
- MUL online entry for the Spirit, containing model name
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 111
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 194
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 110
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 195