VTOL Mast Mount
- "Mech Merc Company" - A Love Letter To MechWarrior 2, Now On Steam Early Access
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2020
- What ‘Mech Would You Survive The Coronavirus Outbreak In?
- MechCombat from Ralph H. Reed
- Catalyst, Coronavirus, And Clan Invasions - Interview With BattleTech Art Director Brent Evans
- Read more →
Introduced in the Pre-spacecraft era, the Mast Mount is mounted on the top of a VTOL's rotors. A VTOL using a Mast Mount can use cover, and be able to see over the cover, while protecting itself from enemy fire. Mast Mounts were generally not found on modern VTOLs due the reduced size of them as compared to their pre-spaceflight predecessors.
The Mast is considered one level higher than the craft it is mounted on. It is always mounted above the Rotor. This allows for VTOLs to use spotter aircraft while hovering behind buildings, hills and other obstructions.
The Mast is designed to allow a VTOL to mount sensors and other non-weapon equipment (example; C3 Computer Systems, Active Probes, ECM Suite) above the main rotor. Weapons and combat equipment including TAG & Narc can not be placed in the Mast.
The equipment placed in a Mast Mount is considered to be mounted in the Rotor itself versus in the aircraft. However, the Mast is not considered an actual location. The destruction of the rotors will result in the destruction of the Mast Mount and all equipment placed in it.
- Tactical Operations, p. 350, "VTOL Mast Mount"