- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- MechWarrior 5 Is On Steam & Catalyst Is Having A Sourcebook Sale
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For February, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For January, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Read more →
The Extralight or XL Gyro is an advanced variation of the standard BattleMech gyroscope.
Developed by ComStar in 3067, much like the XL Engine, the XL Gyro is constructed from lighter though more bulky material and components, increasing the size of the gyro by half in exchange for halving its weight. Also sharing the same disadvantage, the XL gyro can only weather the same amount of damage as a standard gyro before destruction, its increased bulk increasing the odds that any fire that penetrates the center torso will strike it and cripple the 'Mech. Further, unless a 'Mech mounts a Compact Engine, the XL gyro will take up the small amount of free space in the center torso region, forcing any equipment normally installed there to be moved to other positions.
- TechManual, p. 220