166th Mechanized Infantry Division
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Animated MechWarrior Series Cancelled After Being Hit With Cease and Desist
- Read more →
|166th Mechanized Infantry Division|
|Unit Profile (as of 2784)|
|Nickname||Red Diamond Division|
|Parent Formation||XXXVII Corps|
The 166th formed a part of XXXVII Corps, Fourth Army, and in 2764 the unit was stationed on Aucara, in District 3 of the Federated Suns Military Region. Following the New Vandenberg Uprising the 166th was deployed into the periphery by the end of 2765.
The 166th survived the periphery uprising but took heavy losses during the Hegemony Campaign and by 2784 the Red Diamond Division had been disbanded. Elements of the division went on to join the Capellan Confederation and the Free Worlds League. In 2783 the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces recruited two battalions of assorted personnel from the 166th and used them as the basis for mustering the Seventeenth Liao Lancers.
The Mechanised Infantry Divisions of the Star League were used offensively to exploit gaps in the enemy front created by the BattleMech Divisions. They also bore the brunt of defensive actions.
The Division comprised two Brigades of Mechanised Infantry and a single BattleMech Brigade. Also attached was a Ground Aero Wing.
- The Star League, p. 152
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 252, "SLDF - Federated Suns Military Command Map"
- First Succession War, p. 32, "Those Left Behind"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 69, "166th Mechanized Infantry Division"
- The Star League, p. 133