28th Avalon Hussars
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Animated MechWarrior Series Cancelled After Being Hit With Cease and Desist
- A Special New Year's Community Outreach - Nic from Sarna!
- Did You Know? - Scout ‘Mechs
- MWO World Championship Analysis with BanditB17 and mdmzero0
- Read more →
|Twenty-eighth Avalon Hussars|
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
|Nickname||The Knights of Avalon|
|Parent Formation||Avalon Hussars|
Star League Era
Originally formed during the Age of War the Twenty-eighth Avalon Hussars earned the nickname "Knights of Avalon" during the regiment's early history, after reaching a point where every member of the regiment had either inherited a knighthood or had had a knighthood bestowed upon them.
The Twenty-eighth was one of many Avalon Hussars regiments to be deactivated during the Star League era after the Star League Council issued the Council Edict of 2650, which limited the maximum permissible size of the military of each Great House. When the Council Edict of 2650 was revoked in the mid-twenty-eighth century each of the Great Houses began an extensive rearmament programme, including the Federated Suns. The Twenty-eighth was reactivated in 2758, and when the regiment was reformed by the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns each officer within the unit holding the rank of Major or higher was a member of the Order of Davion or a Knight of the Suns. Unfortunately, as was the case with orders of merit or nobility in the other nations at the time, being the holder of a knighthood or similar honor didn't necessarily equate to actual command, leadership or tactical ability.
First Succession War
In February 2788 First Prince John Davion launched Operation SOLAR SHIELD, a desperate plan to try and disrupt the invasion of the Federated Suns launched by the Draconis Combine in May 2787. Prince John had been preparing to invade the Capellan Confederation when news of the Combine invasion reached him, and the forces he drew together for SOLAR SHIELD were based on those three 'Mech regiments nearby earmarked for the abortive invasion of the Confederation plus some six assorted regiments of armor and infantry provided by regional militias within the Marlette Combat Region. Prince John divided his forces into three groups and launched strikes at three occupied worlds on the Terran flank of the invasion, hoping to disrupt the thrust being lead personally by Coordinator Minoru Kurita.
SOLAR SHIELD proved to be flawed from the outset; the units assembled lacked time to train together, Prince John's forces were limited in number, and he had only a handful of WarShips available to use to escort his forces. Senior officers advised against the operation, but Prince John felt that speed was of the essence, and ordered that the operation go ahead. Schedar was one of the worlds targeted by SOLAR SHIELD, and in May 2788 the Twenty-eighth Avalon Hussars jumped into the system, accompanied by supporting conventional forces and escorted by the Vincent-class corvette FSS Robespierre and the Carrack-class transport FSS Liverpool. With complete aerospace superiority in the system and ample warning of the Hussars' arrival, the DCMS forces in the system were well-prepared to resist the attack, and able to call on WarShip support to boost their defenses. While the Vincent-class corvette DCS Kaiten tied up the Robespierre, the Lola I-class destroyers DCS Minekaze and DCS Shiokaze ignored the Liverpool and attacked the Hussars transports, destroying them one at a time; while a swarm of aerospace fighters destroyed the Liverpool, the two Lolas destroyed so many of the Hussars transports that just two companies of Hussars managed to reach the ground, where the DCMS troops were dug in and waiting. Combined with heavy defeats on Cartago and Elbar as well, SOLAR SHIELD was an abject failure that cost the AFFS men and resources it couldn't afford to lose.
During the Star League era all of the Avalon Hussars were required to focus on being both flexible and mobile, with every regiment required to be capable of deploying within eight hours, although many of the Hussars struggled to actually achieve this.
Twenty-eighth Avalon Hussars (Green/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the Twenty-eighth was stationed on Tedibyhr. In common with the other regiments of the Avalon Hussars the Twenty-eighth had an attached aerospace wing, although these forces were primarily tasked to provide ground support rather than escort duties.
Twenty-eighth Avalon Hussars (Regular/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the Twenty-eighth was a reinforced assault-weight regiment four battalions in size and was based in the Tedibyhr system.
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 9, "Avalon Hussars"
- First Succession War, p. 40, "Fighting The Tsunami"
- First Succession War, p. 41, "An Expensive Learning Curve"
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 8, "Avalon Hussars"
- Field Report: Federated Suns, p. 10, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War, p. 134, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns"