|Aeron Strike VTOL|
|Mission|| Strike Craft |
|Armor||Durallex Super Heavy Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Nissan 160 XL|
|Communications System||Maxell 1500-ECM|
|Targeting Tracking System||Maxell TA 65/Targeting Tracking|
The Aeron is based on the Word of Blake prototypes used at the dawn of the Jihad. These early prototypes used the Hawk Moth chassis with a new vector thrust propulsion system to help eliminate the more traditional but vulnerable rotorblades used by conventional VTOLs. These early versions of the Aeron were first deployed by the Blakists in fighting on Outreach in late 3067. However, the Blakists abandoned the concept due to the failure of the project to achieve the durability that was expected.
Brooks Incorporated of Andurien acquired vector thrust technology from bankrupt Michaelson Heavy Industries and perfected what would become the Aeron by 3082. The craft would become popular among the Inner Sphere and Clan factions by the mid 3080s.
Weapons and Equipment
The craft's main and only weapon is its Hellion-a III Extended Range Large Laser, which is mounted in the front of the craft. The accuracy of the Aeron's laser is augmented by a Targeting Computer, which allows the craft to use its high speed while experiencing little problem targeting opponents. Other equipment includes a Guardian ECM Suite, which allows the craft to both jam more sophisticated electronics and be used in the interdiction role. The Aeron carries 3.5 tons of Durallex Super Heavy Ferro-Fibrous Armor to allow better durability in combat and to protect the craft's powerful but fragile Extra Light Fusion Engine.
- Intended as a less-expensive alternative to the principal model, this variant is seen as a recon and sniper vehicle developed in 3084. In place of the craft's Targeting Computer, a Beagle Active Probe is added along with a half-ton cargo bay. The small bay is intended to be able to carry remote drones. BV (2.0) = 775
The Aeron was originally based on a VTOL that first appeared in Microsoft Game Studios' video MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf. The craft was unnamed in this game and used as a support craft in Wolf's Dragoons efforts to topple the Word of Blake.
- Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental, pp. 12-13, "Aeron Strike VTOL"
- MUL online entry for the Aeron
- MUL online entry for the Aeron Strike VTOL (BAP) variant
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 16