Binary Laser Cannon
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Binary Laser Cannon|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Year Availability||2812 (Prototype)|
|Ammo Per Ton||n/a|
|Ammo Cost (per ton)||n/a|
The Binary Laser Cannon was a laser weapon previously considered ineffectual, but began to be reconsidered following the re-introduction of double heat sinks.
Binary laser weapons, nicknamed Blazers, have existed in Rifle and Pistol form for some time, but the 'Mech-scale Binary Laser Cannon was widely considered a dead-end technology. Taking two large laser cores and fusing them together, the Blazer was designed to fire both cores at the same time, increasing damage penetration. In practice, damage yield proved low compared to the lasers firing separately, and the high heat generated by the Blazer severely taxed available heat sink technology of the time.
With the re-introduction of double heat sinks, the Blazer cannon is now a viable weapon.
Earlier runs of Tactical Operations contained an error that switched the heat and damage values of the Binary Laser Cannon and gave an incorrect Battle Value 2 rating. The correct stats are: Damage (12), Heat (16), BV2 = 222.
- CBT.com:"Tactical Operations Errata 1.4"
- Tactical Operations, p. 382, "Inner Sphere Weapons and Equipment BV Table [Addendum]"