- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Chiaroscuro Testing Site|
|Tech Base||Clan (Advanced) (Society)|
|Targeting Tracking System||Ribaldi 402 TTS|
The Hobgoblin ultraheavy ProtoMech was developed by The Society as a test vehicle for the Fusillade weapon system and ProtoMech-scale Magnetic Clamps. Though not intended to have a place on the battlefield, the Society was able to rapidly put the tested Hobgoblin design into production to augment their forces. The low top speed was offset by the magnetic clamp system, which allowed Society BattleMechs to carry the Hobgoblin to various trouble spots on the battlefield. This was a key advantage as the low speed made the Hobgoblin an easy target.
The Hobgoblin was widely used by the Society cells that operated in Clan Jade Falcon space. There is some speculation that the Hobgoblin went on to influence the Svartalfa ProtoMech used by Clan Hell's Horses.
Weapons and Equipment
The Hobgoblin's status as a test vehicle can be clearly seen when looking at its weapons. A single AP Gauss Rifle and Fusillade launcher are less effective than other ProtoMech designs, even when gathered in a Point.
- Hobgoblin 2
- This variant removes some armor and the Fusillade. Instead the Hobgoblin 2 carries three more AP Gauss Rifles, bringing the total to four. Each has five reloads, which is enough to devastate conventional infantry forces, but not enough to turn the tide of a battle.
- The Wars of Reaving, pp. 210-211, "Hobgoblin Profile"
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental, p. 47, "Hobgoblin 2 Records Sheet"