MechForce United Kingdom
MechForce United Kingdom (MFUK) was a British BattleTech fan organisation.
After the launch of the MechForce concept through MechForce North America, FASA also granted a license to the British national fan organisation. This organisation for a while also covered Europe, before the founding of MechForce Germany in 1993.
Although small in number the MFUK was very active across the United Kingdom and Europe, organizing chapters and battles among its members, attending gaming conventions worldwide, and hosting smaller conventions themselves. Their Comnet magazine ran for 47 issues.
Bob Nicolls effectively ran MFUK single handed, although other members did contribute to varying degrees. MFUK was in talks with Wizkids to continue its licence after FASA withdrew from the market. Unfortunately, due to declining member numbers and Bob Nicholls' deteriorating health MFUK folded in 2001. The 47th and final issue of Comnet contains the parting words from Bob Nicholls' wife, closing the doors on Mechforce UK under the heading "Widow Tech".
An annual membership fee was charged, for which the member received: a membership pack including a membership card, certificate of enrolment into your chosen faction's military, tournament rules of engagement, membership manual, and a quarterly magazine. Yearly membership 'Mechs were also presented and sometimes other small items such as posters.
Each member was encouraged to fight matches against other members and submit a proforma record sheet of the battle to obtain a ranking within their chosen faction. Points were awarded for wins and opponents' 'Mechs destroyed or disabled. The ranks were displayed in issues of Comnet.
MechForce UK was known as a prolific producer of merchandise, house rules, scenario packs and new 'Mech designs.
- Comnet magazine
Besides their magazine, MFUK published a range of (usually comb-bound) sourcebooks and record sheet books.
- MFUK Manual (3 editions)
- Outreach and Beyond scenario book
- Clan Force scenario book
- Inbound scenario book
- Record Book One: Personalities Mechs
- Record Book Two: Light Mechs
- Record Book Three: Medium Mechs
- Record Book Four: Heavy Mechs
- Record Book Five: Assault Mechs
- Record Book Six: Vehicles
- Record Book Seven: 3055 Refits Mechs
- Record Book Eight: Members Mechs I
- Record Book Nine: Members Mechs II
- Record Book Ten: Wolf Dragoon's
- Record Book Eleven: Gray Death Legion & Kell Hounds
- Record Book Twelve: UK & US Newsletter Mechs
- Record Book Thirteen: Onslaught
- Record Book Fourteen: Mechforce Germany Mechs
- Record Book Fifteen: 3025 Refits from Dilbert's Irregulars
- Record Book Sixteen: Strength of the Bear
- Record Book Seventeen: Inner Sphere 3063 Field Upgrades
- Construction Cribb Sheet
- Mech Warrior Cribb Sheet
Ral Partha produced miniatures for a number of MFUK custom 'Mech designs which led many fans to believe them to be canon.
- Tree Frog
- Wind Coyote
- Iron Bear
- Falcon Eyrie
- JagerMech IIC
- Command Timber Wolf
These miniatures were based around components from other (canon) 'Mechs, fitted together to produce new figures. For example, the Iron Bear had a Koshi torso on top of Mad Cat legs, with Mad Cat missile pods and arms from an Uller.