- Harebrained Schemes Reveals BattleTech: Flashpoint Gameplay, Kills Dekker
- The Art of War – An Interview with Matthew Plog, BattleTech Artist
- Original BattleTech Pods In Grand Rapids Michigan Moving To New Dedicated Site
- New BattleTech Box Sets Delayed
- Community Outreach - Interview with Jennifer Brozek, Author Of “The Nellus Academy Incident”
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Kindraa Sainze Primary Production Facility|
|Chassis||Process 12 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Compound FM3 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Firebox 120 XL|
|Communications System||JNE Integrated|
|Targeting Tracking System||Mark 4 TTS|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
- This article is about the BattleMech. For the Black Knight Legion's Tactical Officer, see Mandrill (Person).
The Mandrill was the first of the totem 'Mechs created. Engineered to resemble a mandrill, the Mandrill is clearly a Clan Fire Mandrill design. It was the last gasp of a united Mandrill Clan before it became hopelessly fragmented into its various Kindraa. Hoping to recapture some of that spirit, Khan Amanda Carrol ordered Kindraa Sainze to produce new Mandrills in 3058, the first in over a century, which was originally a Kindraa Payne design. She also ordered the Kindraa to trade the 'Mech to other Kindraa so that the totem 'Mech is present in each.
The 'Mech can provide withering fire support for light Stars that is on par with that of some much heavier 'Mechs. Though it is slow, its Type C Medium Lifters give it some measure of maneuverability. Ten double heat sinks ensure that the Mandrill rarely overheats and it is protected by five tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor.
Weapons and Equipment
Over a third of the Mandrill's tonnage is devoted to a pair of Type 20 "Great Bow" LRM-20 Launchers and their attendant ammunition, which is limited, but usually enough for duels. The head-mounted Series 1 ER Small Laser is something of an afterthought, though it does allow Mandrills to keep fighting after they run out of ammo, as happened on Atreus against Clan Smoke Jaguar during that Clan's collapse in the face of the reborn Star League's assaults.
There are no known variants of the Mandrill.