- This article is about the MCY series of 20-ton BattleMechs. For the variants of the 40-ton Hermes II BattleMech, see Hermes II#Variants.
|Manufacturer||Mitchell Vehicles |
|Communications System||DataTech 401|
|Speed||129.6 km/h (172.8 km/h with MASC)|
The Mercury was displayed for the first time in 2742, debuting as a replacement for the aging Wasps and Stingers in use by the SLDF. The Mercury is built around its LTV 160 fusion engine and MASC system, which acts on the 'Mech like a supercharger and allows it to reach speeds of 172 kh/h for short bursts. The Mercury also features an advancement in weapons installation, using a modular replacement system to allow easier repairs to the 'Mech. Unfortunately, the Mercury all but disappeared from the Inner Sphere after Operation Exodus, and the unique modular repair system fell into disuse and stagnated. The full potential of modular weapons would not be realized until the appearance of the Clans and their OmniMechs.
The Mercury carries an assortment of energy weapons. The primary weapons are the two Martell Medium Lasers, which are supported by two Hessen Small Lasers. This type of arrangement is typical of lighter 'Mechs that do not have the space to carry large weapons due to their weight. These weapons could be slipped in, bolted down and connected to power circuits and cooling feeds in a matter of minutes.
- MCY-97 - This variant of the Mercury was created by the ComGuards for recon duties. The armor, engine and MASC system are kept and one Medium Laser and one Small Laser have been dropped in favor of a Beagle Active Probe, giving the MCY-97 Mercury superior enemy detection capabilities at the cost of half of its firepower. BV (1.0) = 380, BV (2.0) = 466
- MCY-98 - This variant of the Mercury is the downgraded version introduced during the Succession Wars. While it retains the same armament and engine of the origina the primary changes in the 'Mech is its armor, using standard armor in place of Ferro-Fibrous, and the MASC system, which has been removed to allow for the armor to be one ton heavier. These changes lowers its maximum speed to 129.6 km/h and slightly increases the overall armor protection. BV (1.0) = 484, BV (2.0) = 553
- MCY-102 - The MCY-102 is an upgrade to the Mercury. This variant retains the engine, MASC, and armor of the MCY-99 but carries two major modifications. The first is the rebuilding of the chassis using Endo Steel. The change in the chassis construction allows for the second modification: with the removal of one Small Laser and one Medium Laser, an Improved C3 Computer has been installed, making it capable of operating with five other units in a C3i unit. BV (1.0) = 408, BV (2.0) = 510
- MCY-104 - An upgrade fielded by the Word of Blake during the Jihad, the 104 uses an XL Engine for power. This allows the addition of an extra ER Medium and TAG to the 102. The remaining ton went into improving the armor coverage. The heat sinks are not upgraded, however, so this Mercury could find itself in heat trouble. BV (2.0) = 683
 Related BattleMechs
- Mercury II - The Mercury II was an enlarged and updated design of the Mercury produced by Clan Wolverine. This 'Mech lacks its predecessor's unique modular repair system, being a standard post-SLDF/early Clan era BattleMech. 
- Coyotl - The Coyotl continued the original Mercury's legacy of technological advancement, developing its modular repair system into a fully modular hot-swapping system, leading to the Omnimech.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 16-17, "Mercury 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 106
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 184-185, "Mercury 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 221
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 56-57, "Mercury 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 50-51, "Mercury 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Combat Operations, p. 123
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 220
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 121
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 222
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 223
- ↑ Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 148