Robinson (WarShip class)
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Tech Base||Star League|
|Safe Thrust||1.5 g|
|Top Thrust||2.5 g|
|KF Drive Integrity||9|
|Armament|| 6 x NL45s |
2 x NL35s
2 x NL35s
2 x Heavy NPPCs
4 x Medium NPPCs
6 x Light NPPCs
2 x NAC/30s
6 x Large Lasers
12 x Medium Lasers
4 x LRM-20s
|Grav Decks||2 x 75 meter diameter|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||30/0|
|Heat Sinks||2,324 Heat Sinks|
The Robinson-class transport was introduced shortly after the Davion Civil War not only to replace the losses in the fleets of the Federated Suns, but also to reward the supporters of the new Prince Alexander Davion. Intended as both a transport ship and naval support for invasions, the Robinson boasts large cargo bays and anti-naval weaponry, capable of bombarding targets. The Robinson also made use of BattleMech in drop cocoons, allowing the Robinson to directly deliver BattleMechs precisely from low orbit, while maintaining orbit and providing orbital cover.
The Robinson-class got a slight upgrade with newer naval technologies spreading from the Terran Hegemony. These technologies allowed the Robinson to increase its anti-AeroSpace weaponry, while nearly doubling its armor.
Robinson-class transports were most often deployed to aid BattleMech commands within the AFFS; the Robinson was rarely assigned to fleets. The Robinson was most often found transporting and supporting military operations on the Capellan border (while oxymoronically, New Syrtis-class cruisers were most often deployed to the Kurita border). The Block II Robinson-class was active during the Star League era and was serving in all four Federated Suns fleets in 2765, with eight ships spread across the four fleets and two more in service with the Department of Naval Transport.
The armament of the Robinson is designed to deter capital vessels from engaging, while providing the maximum support possible from orbit for transported ground forces. The Robinson mounts a mix of naval lasers, naval PPCs, and naval autocannons, but none of these batteries are capable of the concentrated fire required to sink a larger WarShip.
Against small AeroSpace assets, the Robinson also mounts a mix of long range missiles, large and medium lasers and, in the Block II Robinson, PPCs. However, none of these systems are able to concentration fire adequately to defend the vessel from a determined attack. Therefore, the Robinson requires its fighter screen of 4 full squadrons to defend itself.
From orbit, the Robinson is able to adequately support landing forces, through a combination of orbital bombardment and AeroSpace deployment, tasked with clearing a drop zone of enemy forces poised to repel an assault.
The Robinson’s task is to deliver its cargo – generally, an invasion or relief force – and support those troops from orbit. The Robinson has 4 DropShip rings, and 3 bays, capable of transporting 4 squadrons of AeroSpace Fighters, 12 small craft (some capable of transporting a single BattleMech to a planetary surface), just under 57,000 tons of cargo, and a full battalion of BattleMechs, which can be dropped from low orbit using drop cocoons.
- Robinson II
- Introduced in 2705, the Robinson Block II transport was constructed using advance naval components developed by the Terran Hegemony. After centuries of development, the Hegemony gradually loosened its monopoly on some military technologies. These technologies, including Double Heat Sinks and Ferro-Carbide armor, allowed the Robinson to mount twice the armor protection and increase protection against AeroSpace Fighters, while barely altering cargo space. BV (2.0) = 73,900
- Kyushu-class frigate – Two captured Robinson Block I transports were used as the inspiration for the Kyushu-class frigate. The Kyushu maintains and even enhances the Robinson's ability to transport and deliver BattleMechs through transport shuttles and drop cocoons.
- MUL online date for the Robinson (WarShip class)
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 234, "Robinson WarShip Profile"
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 6, "Naval Defense Doctrine"