Clan Sea Fox
|Clan Sea Fox/Clan Diamond Shark|
|Time period:||2807 – Present|
|Military:||Clan Sea Fox Touman|
|Secret Service:||Clan Sea Fox Watch|
Clan Sea Fox is the original name of Clan Diamond Shark. Clan Sea Fox and Clan Snow Raven had a falling out, and in response Clan Snow Raven created the Diamond Shark, a predator designed solely to hunt and kill the Sea Foxes who lived in Strana Mechty's oceans. After most of the Sea Foxes had been killed, Clan Sea Fox petitioned the Grand Council to change its name to Clan Diamond Shark. Several sea foxes were preserved by the Clan and placed on other worlds, where they flourished. As a result, Clan Diamond Shark changed its name back to Clan Sea Fox by 3100. The Diamond Shark/Sea Fox Clan has relied heavily on its Merchant Caste since its inception, giving them more power and freedom than most Clans. Though many believe them to be weak because of their democratic attitudes toward their lower castes, the Diamond Sharks maintained one of the largest and most elite Toumans among the clans.
After the Jihad, the Diamond Sharks were one of several Clans forced to move to the Inner Sphere. Having few worlds of their own, the reborn Clan Sea Fox is a nomad trader Clan who now almost entirely reside on giant ArcShips and CargoShips that roam throughout human-occupied space.
- 1 Fact Sheet
- 2 Worlds & Enclaves
- 3 Brief History Post-Jihad
- 4 Notes
- 5 References
- 6 Bibliography
- Founding Year: 2810 (initial), 3068 (modern)
- National Symbol: A silver-blue sea fox, bowing as it rises from the water
- Government: Clan (Caste-driven, warrior/merchant-dominant hierarchy)
- Dominant Language(s): English (official)
- Dominant Religion(s): Atheism
- Unit of Currency: Fox-Credit (1 fox credit = 1 C-Bill)
Worlds & Enclaves
Brief History Post-Jihad
- 3070-3080s - Khanate and Aimag formations begin to appear with modified WarShips at their core. They begin roving to render aid to worlds left isolated due to Blakist attacks.
- 3097 - Clan Wolf forces in the Feltre Star System attack the Swimmer Khanate's Beta Aimag, which consist of two JumpShips and their attendant flotilla of DropShips. The Wolves believed they could overpower the Aimag's Cluster sized force. They deploy an aerospace-heavy force against Beta's troops, who easily defeat them. The Wolf force is unable to capture a single ship belonging to the Aimag. Later that year, Clan Sea Fox dispatches two entire Khanates and a Galaxy's worth of troops to assault the Wolves on Feltre. The assault destroys two Clusters of Clan Wolf troops. Clan Sea Fox leaves the planet after the battle, displaying no interest in claiming Feltre for themselves. However, Clan Wolf traders suffer a 200 percent price increase in their dealings with Clan Sea Fox subsequently.
- 3134 - ovKhan Sha Clarke, commander of Beta Aimag of the Spina Khanate attempts to secede with his Khanate by having Clan Jade Falcon forces assassinate Khan Mori Hawker. However, ovKhan Petr Kalasa of Delta Aimag and rest of the Khanate successfully thwarts the attempted assassination.
- 3137 - Delta Aimag of the Spina Khanate negotiates a deal with "Clan" Spirit Cats to jointly control the world of Marik, which becomes newest of the 'clearing-house worlds’.
- 3138 - Delta Aimag helps to create and becomes the governing power of the Clan Protectorate in the old Free Worlds League.
Era Specific Data
- Capital (City, World): ilKhanate ArcShip Poseidon, no home system
- Location(s) (Terra relative): Various worlds and spaceborne colonies scattered across the Inner Sphere
- Total (Inhabited) Systems: 3 total control; 14 world enclaves
- Estimated Population (3130): 428,670,000
- Government: Clan (Caste-driven, warrior/merchant-dominant hierarchy)
- Ruler: Khan Mori Hawker
Culture & Characteristics
Sea Fox Clansmen have an uncanny sense of smell due to the near-sterile space environment they live in. They are able to smell a wide variety of scents. It should be noted that they sometimes find Inner Sphere odors rather offensive.
Despite the Clan's nomadic existence in the Inner Sphere, their solidarity continues to keeps the Clan whole socially.
Many of the Warriors of the Clan have been trained to be as much like merchants as possible in order to understand the ramifications of actions and deals. Despite making it appear that the warriors are more "bargainers first", they are still very much fearless Clan warriors.
Due to the relative independence of individual Aimags, and their isolation from one another, they can sometimes be perceived as sub-Clans. However they remain largely synchronized with the Clan as a whole.
Clan Sea Fox Fleet Structure
The Sea Foxes are primarily a space-bound community. After the Jihad, their vessels were reorganized into two types of Fleet. These Fleets are divided in a manner similar to the Galaxies and Clusters of other Clans. However, these divisions are not strictly military formations, since they contain substantial civilian elements as well.
The Sea Fox fleet is organized in two types of formations: Khanates & Aimags.
The Khanate is the largest formation, which consists of five attending Aimag JumpShip fleets.
Most Khanates and their Aimags bid for and fought over specific regions of space - worlds each Aimag and Khanate would use to further the revenue, honor, and glory of the Clan.
There are five Khanates - Spina, Skate, Tiburon, Fox, and the ilKhanate.The ilKhanate is the Clan's command fleet, moving and trading according to the will of the overall leaders of Clan Sea Fox, the Khan and the Alpha Council. The ilKhanate checks on the activities of the other Khanates, collecting ten percent of their profits as dues. The Khan's flagship is referred to as the ilArcShip.
These are the smaller of the Clan Sea Fox formations. The Aimag is commanded by an ovKhan, who oversees all enclaves, business interaction with worlds, setting up colonies, fleet operations and the maintenance thereof.
There are five Aimags per Khanate. Each is named after one of the first five letters of the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta and Epsilon.
Sea Foxes generally deploy their Aimags individually in a wide area and not in close proximaty to each other in order to maximize the rewards of getting economic deals cut between worlds.
On occasions when Aimags do meet, they conduct various rituals and trials such as: Live Fire Training Exercises (Ritual of Combat) and Bloodright Trials. It is not unusual for years to pass between meetings of Aimags..
Aimags compete against one another for mining rights, the creation of colonies, setting enclaves, etc. Each Aimag tries win profit & glory as well as honor to their deeds.
Sea Fox Ships
Clan Sea Fox uses heavily-modified former WarShips as mother ships and bases of operation. These fall into two categories, known as CargoShips and ArcShips.
Both types of ships typically retain their Interplanetary drives. However these are rarely used due to the structural changes caused by the refits that created the CargoShips and ArcShips. The changes include the removal of armor and weaponry in order to allow them to roam both the Clan Occupational Zones and Inner Sphere freely.
- CargoShip - These are redesigned WarShips which have been reconfigured to become dedicated roving, long-term habitats and mobile supply stations. These ships are part of the core of a typical Aimag fleet. Gutted DropShips (typically Behemoth class) are permanently attached to the hull of these ships to expand living/working space.
- ArcShips - These are redesigned WarShips which have been reconfigured to be societal points of congress and house the core governmental structures for the entire Clan. They have been extensively modified to add habitats in their former cargo bays as well as along the outer hull. ArcShips are typically former Potemkin Class WarShips, which have been extensively lengthened, widened, and increased in mass. Among the largest ArcShips is the Poseidon, which grew in mass to 2.5 Million tons.
Apart from the two specialized classes of ships, the Sea Foxes possess an extensive JumpShip fleet consisting of both Inner Sphere and Clan built designs. The Sea Foxes have former military DropShips which have been converted to serve as cargo haulers, which retain some military capability. A common DropShip in Sea Fox service is the De-militarized Overlord-C which are used primarily as cargo haulers. The ship has only one BattleMech bay with a capacity of one Trinary of 'Mechs or Combat Vehicles.
Known ArcShips & CargoShips
- ArcShip Titanic - Command Ship of the Tiburon Khanate
- ArcShip Poseidon - Command Ship of Spina Khanate Fleet
- CargoShip Voidswimmer - Command Ship of the Delta Aimag of the Spina Khanate
- CargoShip Talismantia - Command Ship of the Beta Aimag of the Spina Khanate
Clan Sea Fox Ranks & Uniforms
Clan Sea Fox Ranks
Clan Sea Fox has a similar ranking system to those of the more "normal" Clans. However, they also possess exclusive ranks only found within their clan.
- saKhan - Individual who commands a Khanate fleet formation and all of its Aimag's assets. The saKhan is answerable to the Khan of the Sea Foxes.
- ovKhan - Individual who command an Aimag fleet and assets. Answers to the saKhan of their assigned Khanate.
- saFactor - Sea Fox chief negotiator of an Aimag fleet whom is part of the [Merchant Caste].
- Master Merchant - Rank for a Sea Fox ship commander.
Uniforms - All Sea Fox uniforms are all blue, but the shoulder colors mark their subcaste types. Here are some examples: Yellow = teachers, Green = teachers, Red for eugenics, Double Stripes = Labor Caste.
Sea Foxes ceremonial leathers, have details of Sea Fox displayed across torso of the suit.
The ArcShip Titanic was described in Touring the Stars as the Tiburon Khanate's flagship, and described as a heavily modified Potemkin-class cruiser, now an ArcShip. However, during the Jihad the Clan Diamond Shark Titanic, which is also a Potemkin-class cruiser, was listed as lost during the breaking of the blockade of Clan Star Adder. A question answered on the Classic BattleTech message board indicates that the Titanic that is currently an ArcShip is another ship re-named in honor of the previous vessel. However, the Titanic was once more seen in a later sourcebook, creating doubt about what happened in Clan space with the original Titanic.
Unknown to the Inner Sphere, using information supplied by the Snow Ravens, a small Clan Diamond Shark salvage team secretly journeyed to Lum in 3075 to salvage the abandoned but still-functional Snowflake, renaming it Titanic in honor of the lost vessel.
- Touring the Stars, p. 63
- Hunters of the Deep, p. 97, 130, - "Touring the Stars" - all locations where transplanted Sea Foxes live.
- Touring the Stars, p.?? - "Clan Sea Fox article" - Sean Lasko, PhD article
- Touring the Stars, p.?? - "Clan Sea Fox article" - Mentioned in sub-article —Sean Lasko, PhD, Professor of Clan Society and Politics, University of Thorin"
- Touring the Stars, p.?? - "Clan Sea Fox article".
- Pandora's Gambit, p. 97 - "The Spirit Cats bargain with Sea Foxes for help securing the planet as safe haven for the them".
- Hunters of the Deep, p. 57 - "Petr Kalasa picks up scents in Merchant House on Adhafera".
- Touring the Stars, p. ?? - "Clan Sea Fox article" - Mentioned in sub-article —Sean Lasko, PhD, Professor of Clan Society and Politics, University of Thorin"
- Hunters of the Deep - "rear cover of book"
- Touring the Stars, p. ??, "Sea Fox Clan" - "Khanate has five attendant JumpShip fleets (Aimag)"
- Hunters of the Deep]], p. 185 - "How Khanate & Aimag formations function".
- Touring the Stars, p. ?? - "Clan Sea Fox section"
- Hunters of the Deep, p. 185 - Explanation of how Sea Fox's ilKhanate operates.
- Hunters of the Deep, p. 262, "ilArcShip mentioned"
- Hunters of the Deep, p. 100 - "Petr thinks of infrequency of Aimag encounter".
- Touring the Stars, p. ?? - "Clan Sea Fox article"
- Touring the Stars, p. ?? - "Information regarding CargoShips & ArcShips".
- Touring the Stars, p. ?? - Information regarding CargoShips & ArcShips.
- Hunters of the Deep, p. 169 - "Petr describing the changes of the Poseidon".
- Touring the Stars, p. ?? - "Clan Sea Fox Article"
- A Rending of Falcons, p. 97 - "Master Merchant Senna Rodriguez"
- Hunters of the Deep, p. 25 - "description of the ceremonial uniform of the Khan".
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. ?? - "Crimson Hawk profile".
-  - Writer answers the question of two WarShips named the Titanic
- The Wars of Reaving, p. 173, "Clan Diamond Shark"