Starfire Extended Range Laser Rifle
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
- This article is about the laser rifle. For other uses, see Starfire (disambiguation).
The Starfire ER Laser Rifle is a joint development project between the Nakjima and Sunbeam corporations to produce the longest-ranged man-portable laser system in the Inner Sphere. An Extended Range Laser system, the rifle actually fires in the infrared spectrum, making the beam harder to see without assisted vision. It can also be disassembled quickly and its parts stored in a small case, such as one produced by Nakjima specially designed for the Starfire rifle. These features make it an excellent sniper's weapon.
While firing a more powerful laser than other rifles, the Starfire has the drawback of equally producing more heat when fired. An appropriate cool down period between each shot is required, usually a few seconds. If the weapon is fired too quickly, the shooter risks melting the plasma chamber and cracking the built-in optics.
- LosTech: The MechWarrior Equipment Guide, pp. 33-34, "Starfire ER Laser Rifle"
- A Time of War, p. 267, "Energy Weapons - Table"