402nd Independent Regiment
|402nd Independent Regiment|
|Unit Profile (as of 2588)|
|Parent Formation||VII Corps|
The Four Hundred and Second Independent Regiment was a part of the Star League Defense Force Regular Army. It was originally formed during the creation of the SLDF in 2571, and was a part of VII Corps during the Reunification War, where it served in the Magistracy of Canopus campaign from 2577 to 2588.
As a part of the Magistracy of Canopus task force, the 402nd was stationed on Leyda in the Capellan Confederation when military action against the Magistracy began. Although in later years independent regiments would form a part of almost every SLDF corps, VII Corps was particularly dependent on the four independent regiments assigned to it because of the general lack of transport assets that plagued VII Corps throughout the war, and the 402nd would see combat on five different worlds during the course of the war.
The 402nd worked alongside the 403rd Independent Regiment in 2577, supporting the 60th Brigade invasion of Butzfleth in the opening months of the war, but didn't see active combat again until 2581, when the 402nd was tasked to support the 58th Brigade in their conquest of Borgan's Rift.
In 2583 the 402nd was tasked to conquer the lightly-defended world of Hastur in the wake of the ambush at Thurrock that destroyed the bulk of the Canopian Navy and with it the MAF ability to redeploy rapidly; supported only by the 3rd Marik Militia, the 402nd quickly conquered Hastur. When the SLDF task force assaulted the capital of the Magistracy, Canopus IV, the 402nd was one of the regiments involved in the assault; the 402nd survived the battle in good enough shape to stage a second campaign that year, adding New Abilene to the list of worlds conquered by the SLDF in 2584. Again, the 402nd acted almost independently; the only other regiment involved in the capture of New Abilene was the 3rd Brigade of the Fusiliers of Oriente, although the conquest of New Abilene was the last battle the 402nd was directly involved in during the campaign against the Magistracy.
|Commanding Officers of the 402nd Independent Regiment|
- VII Corps units may utilize Overrun Combat.
- VII Corps units gain a +1 bonus to repair rolls.
- The VII Corps commander may select half of the maps used in any battle, irrespective of scenario rules.
- VII Corps units adhere to the Ares Conventions.
- VII Corps units suffer a -2 penalty to Initiative if forced to fight on city maps.
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 148, "Magistracy of Canopus Front (Jump-Off &ndash 2582)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 149, "Magistracy of Canopus Front (2583 &ndash 2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 30, "VII Corps"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 181, "The Star League"