|'Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Series III Endo Steel|
|Engine||General Systems 200 XL|
|Communications System||Circe Special MilComm|
|Targeting Tracking System||DeadEye Superlock 18K|
|Heat Sinks||12 double|
|Jump Jets||Clan Medium Series Mk. III|
The Hunchback IIC is a Clan-tech refit of the venerable Hunchback. Its meager six tons of armor, coupled with paltry ammunition and lack of long-range weapons, led Inner Sphere observers to conclude that this 'Mech was a last-ditch effort for failed warriors to die with glory. In truth, the assignment of a Hunchback IIC was essentially a death sentence, as warriors given this machine were not expected to survive their next battle. However, despite the attrition rates expected for pilots of this BattleMech, the number of Hunchback IICs within all Clans has remained more or less constant, a surprisingly high 3% of the entire touman of each Clan.
After the actions of a Star of Clan Smoke Jaguar Warden MechWarriors, however, this 'Mech has become popular with Clan Jade Falcon sibbies during their first Trial of Position, as it often allows them one quick kill, though the practice is often derided by older Clanners. Perhaps the only bright spot in this design is the inclusion of jump jets that allow it to more easily traverse difficult terrain so that it can bring its mammoth guns into play.
Weapons and Equipment
The Hunchback IIC is armed with a pair of Devastator UAC/20s, one of the most powerful weapons in the Clan arsenal, backed up by a mere pair of Series 7J ER medium lasers. Completely eschewing long-range weapons and armor, the Hunchback IIC can scarcely expect to stand up in a pitched battle. Instead, it is designed for the one-on-one dueling that is so popular within the Clans.
- Hunchback IIC 2
- Like their Inner Sphere counterparts, Hunchback IICs mounting smaller weapons are frequently referred to as Swayback IICs. This Hunchback IIC 2, a Crusader variant, utilizes four heavy large lasers that can quickly cause a heat-induced shutdown when fired without thought. As secondary weapons the variant includes two medium pulse lasers. The 19 double heat sinks cannot handle the heat buildup for long. BV (2.0) = 1,578, BV (2.0) = 1,869
- Hunchback IIC 5
- Developed by the LCAF when they held Pandora, this configuration of the Hunchback IIC has an LB 20-X in each side torso and a pair of medium pulse lasers in the center torso. A total of two tons of autocannon ammunition is carried. The Jade Falcons kept it in production after they recaptured Pandora. BV (2.0) = 1,534
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media. From MechWarrior Online:
- HBK-IIC-A Hunchback IIC A
- The first Piranha Games invented variant, each side torso of the Hunchback IIC A carries an ER large laser and twin medium pulse lasers, supported by the standard pair of ER medium lasers in the center torso. Built on an 200-rated XL engine with an endo steel frame, the remaining weight goes towards four jump jets, 20 double heat sinks and eight tons of armor.
- HBK-IIC-B Hunchback IIC B
- The second PGI variant is a missile boat, carrying a pair of Streak SRM-6 launchers in each side torso, supported by twin center torso mounted medium pulse lasers. Perhaps indicating some of the differences between tabletop and MechWarrior Online play, the B carries a mammoth six tons of Streak reloads, the remaining weight going to an extra two double heat sinks and eight tons of armor.
- HBK-IIC-C Hunchback IIC C
- The third PGI variant is a version of the standard Hunchback IIC with greater field endurance, the C variant downgrades the UAC/20s to lighter UAC/10s, with the saved weight going towards an ER medium laser in each arm and two tons of autocannon rounds in each side torso. The remaining features are identical to the standard model.
- HBK-IIC-DW "Deathwish"
- A customized variant of the Hunchback IIC supposedly piloted by the Star of Rage, the Deathwish retains only one of the standard Hunchback IIC's UAC/20s, dropping the left-torso autocannon to mount an ER PPC, moving the center torso ER medium lasers to the left arm and adding a similar pair to the right arm. Built on the same basic frame as the Hunchback IIC while still keeping the two tons of autocannon ammo, the remaining weight goes to extra double heat sinks, the Deathwish carrying a total of 18.
The Hunchback IIC has the following Design Quirks:
- Hunchback - The Hunchback IIC is based on the Reunification War-era Hunchback street fighting BattleMech.
Original Hunchback IIC from BTC:TRoW
Hunchback IIC from TRO:3058
Hunchback IIC from RG:ilClan v13
Hunchback IIC in motion from CCG
Model of Hunchback IIC from MWO
Hunchback IIC miniature from BattleTech: Clan Heavy Star
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, pp. 38–39: "Hunchback IIC"
- ↑ MUL online date for the Hunchback IIC
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 172–173: "Hunchback IIC Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 219
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 140
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Technical Readout: 3058, p. 168: "Hunchback IIC"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 220
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 141
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 221
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 142
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 140
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 13, p. 23
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 MechWarrior Online - "Origins IIC Sale Page"
- ↑ MechWarrior Online - "Clan IIC Heroes Sale Page"
- ↑ BattleMech Manual, p. 92 BattleMech Quirk Table - Hunchback IIC Entry.
- BattleTech Compendium: The Rules of Warfare
- MechWarrior Online Origin Sale Page
- MechWarrior Online Clan IIC Heroes Sale Page
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 13
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3085