- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- You Can Now Play MechWarrior 2 And MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries On Your Browser... Sort Of
- Talking BattleTech Fiction with Philip A. Lee
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Leopard Armor of Terra|
|Engine||Pitban 240 Fusion Engine|
|Crew||6 (by rules)|
|Communications System||Trannel GL5|
|Targeting Tracking System||Trannel OT73L|
Designed in 2667, the Rhino was intended as a far more heavily armored version of the ubiquitous LRM Carrier. While carrying one less 20 tube launcher, the Rhino is covered in seventeen tons of Pantherskin VII armor, a whopping fifteen more than a Quik-based carrier can boast. However, as the crew members will readily and repeatedly attest, design considerations besides heavy armor and long-range firepower were clearly secondary. Crew comfort is non-existent, and notably absent from the Rhino is a Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment system for the missile reloads, a significant drawback given that the vehicle is among the slowest military vehicles ever produced.
Weapons and Equipment
Designed to anchor defensive lines, the Rhino mounts two Delta Dagger-20 LRM-20 launchers alongside a pair Starflash Medium Lasers in its turret, supported by a single Conan DT-10 LRM-10 mounted forward. The vehicle's total of four tons of LRM reloads (three for the LRM-20, and one for the LRM-10) compare favorably with the standard carrier, while the lasers allow it some defensive ability while retreating to rearm; however, the vehicle's extremely slow speed greatly hampers any retreat once engaged in battle.
- This 2708 version of the Rhino was used by the SLDF Royal units, taking advantage of the latest technology. By swapping out the standard engine for an XL model, several modifications to the armament were made. All the missile launchers were tied into Artemis IV fire control systems, and a Guardian ECM suite provided additional protection against electronic warfare. The medium lasers were traded out for pulse versions, and to provide extra defense an Anti-Missile System was mounted to the turret. BV (2.0)= 1,670
- Rhino Hagar
- This was a custom variant developed by SLDF Sergeant Hagar Henrickson in 2765. This then experimental refit re-arranges the weapons configuration of the tank to allow for dual turrets. Named the "Chuy" by Hagar, this Rhino's two medium lasers and two LRM 20 launchers are retained while dropping the fix-forward LRM 10 launcher. Pairing one launcher with one laser, pairing are placed in each of vehicle's two turrets. To improve the defense of the vehicle, Hagar increase armor protection to 20 tons of standard armor and adds Anti-Missile System in second turret in back of the vehicle. SLDF force attempted to put the vehicle into production, but due to occupation of the Terran Hegemony, it would be regulated into frontlines until it being destroyed conqueror Rim Worlds Republic. BV (2.0)=1,574
- MUL online date for the Rhino
- Combat Operations, p. 106
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 180-181, "Rhino Vehicle Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 211
- Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 116-117, "Rhino Vehicle Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 220-221, "Rhino Vehicle Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 169
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 150
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 13
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 212
- Master Unit List: Rhino Fire Support Tank (MG)
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 213
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 214
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 215
- Experimental Technical Readout: Gunslingers, pp. 11 & 24 Rhino Hagar - Background & BV2
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: Gunslingers
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3075